5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant case
Published 12 months ago by Nancy Kane

3.0 out of 5 stars Yeah it's a great shell but mine arrived broke so that's taken the excitement out of it
The mic socket on the front is broken....
Not impressed
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant case, 4 May 2014
Nancy Kane (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fractal Design Define R4 FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL-W ATX Midi PC Case Black / Pearl (Accessory)
This case is spacious, cool, and easy to build in. The movable drive cage helps with a tidy build, and the front and bottom dust filters help the inside stay very clean. The top exhausts are also covered with removable panels (plasitc, backed with thick foam, screwed in place) so that they won't let dust in if not in use. The foam on these top panels, both side panels, and inside the front of the case (which is a hinged door) help the whole thing run really quietly. The only thing I would change is the number of loops for attaching cable ties behind the motherboard - there aren't enough, and it makes a tidy build slightly tricky. There are maybe 4 from memory, (though don't quote me on that) all near to the rubber grommets that let the cables through, and we ended up using several of them twice. Not a huge problem, but more would be nice.
We have a CoolerMaster hyper212 evo with two noctua nf-f12 fans cooling an i5 3570k (slightly overclocked to 4Ghz), and a Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 Ghz OC edition. We've also added an additional Fractal 140mm silent series fan to the front of the case, along with the fans that come pre-installed (120mm rear exhaust, 140mm front intake). With the in-built fan controller at the lowest setting the PC can't be heard over ambient room noise, and the CPU is pretty cool (30-35 degrees per core at idle). With the fan controller at max the case can't really be heard over game audio, and I haven't seen it exceed 60 degrees at the CPU.
Far superior to our old Zalman Z9 plus (which is admittedly a much cheaper case, and fine for the price).

EDIT: There was a slight problem with this case - a piece of the noise-dampening foam inside was peeling off, and refused to stick back down. Not a major problem, but to their credit Fractal sent me a new part as soon as I got in touch and provided proof of purchase/serial number. Brilliant customer service. It's worth noting as well that you can buy replacements for almost any part if you need it - cabling for the front I/Os, drive cage, side panels, dust filters, you name it. Very handy if a piece is damaged but you don't want to buy a whole new case.

5.0 out of 5 stars excelent and super quiet, 7 Dec. 2013
i was sceptic at first on buying this case as i thought ow it is going to be small or i won't like it.
But when it arrived i changed my mind completely yes for my x79 ATX board and my H100i it is a squeeze but it still does fantastically. I have had to put my push pull config a bit strange in the fact 1 set of my fans are on the outside of my case but since they are silent fans causes no problems.
The fans included are excellent very quiet even at full rpm, the window is nice and big so when u want to look into it u can see everything u want to see, it also helps with the window be nearly centre to the motherboard.
downsides:
SSD's mounts : i found i had to remove my motherboard due to my SSD's being mounted wrong this one of the things that are bad with this case so i decided to just use the HDD bays which i found to be 2.5 SSD compatible which solved my problem.

Other that the one downside i have with this case it is a must buy:
it's quite
it's large
has a very nice window on the side
good cable management

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 29 Sept. 2013
aaron moore (killiney, Co Dublin Ireland) - See all my reviews
As a first time PC builder, this was easy to use, with plenty of space for components. Plus, the supplied cables were all tidied and fed through to the correct place before I even started. So cable management was already half done.

Also, runs nice and quiet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet cool and all as advertised, 20 Aug. 2014
I bought this an an upgrade for my gaming machine as my previous case was old scratched and falling apart, the case is made with great quality and works brilliantly. The fan controller works great with the included fans with 12v being some noise sacrifice for greater airflow, but 7v giving in my opinion more than sufficient airflow with very quiet function. Case is very quiet and does all that it says and does it well, I would however suggest buying a third fan to add as intake to get reduced dust as with the default layout some bust does get through however that is only over a long period of time as the dust filters are fantastic. Overall if you want a quiet case for a high end system that requires good cooling this case is perfect so long as you put some thought into how you will be using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid case with quality control issues., 18 Sept. 2014
This is a solid versatile case and pretty much as advertised but quality control is an issue. The front panel push latch was faulty and had to be replaced. The seller was quick to send out a complete new front panel, took about a week to receive by which time I had finished building my gaming PC. To save dismantlement and messing with cables I decided to remove the small plastic push latch from the replacement panel and fit it to my original which solved the problem. The mic socket on the front panel is a little awkward to use when inserting the jack and does not feel as positive as the one on the rear motherboard I/O panel, but it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing case much better than i anticipated, 16 July 2014
Amazing case much better than i anticipated. The fact the case was silent was a big plus when gaming .. but only really if you kept the top 120mm sound proof pads in. The case has two fan dust filters one at the front which can be a bit fiddly at first but once you know how it is put togther its fine and one at the bottom which covers the psu and the bottom 120mm fan mount. overall a great case !:)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great pc holder!, 24 Dec. 2013
I bought this so that the motherboard would have a place to live and also so that the components could stop living from boxes, they're happy. I can tell they're happy because of the light purring

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quiet case, 13 July 2014
Great case with plenty of cable management room. Plenty of accessories and the removable HDD tray is great for airflow, along with the filtered intake. The integrated fan controller is brilliant for temperature/noise control. The only flaw is that the side panel is occasionally hard to reinstall, and the power LED is very bright, especially seeing as I leave the PC on overnight to allow for downloads to process in the room where I sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate. Got the money, get this case., 11 July 2014
Look's great, easy to build in; I used this for my first build and I didn't encounter any problems. I love this case. Defiantly worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the 5-star reviews are true, 24 Jun. 2014
It is a lovely case and good looking too in a minimalist sort of way. I build a lot of servers using Supermicro 1U, 2U and 4U server cases - which cost between 5 and 8 times the price of this case - and this case is just as well built and thought out. It's beautifully engineered and easy to work with. It's very slightly taller than the average midi-tower, and a bit wider, but it has to be to be able to accommodate 8 drives AND hide all the wiring too. It's not the sort of case you want to be lugging around (it's heavy when built) but it's designed to run cool and silent, not to be portable.

I bought this case to build my own PC and it's turned out to be the neatest build I've EVER made, with no loose wires or cables and everything hidden from view. The finished build looks like I've just stuck in the components without cabling anything up - it's so neat - and that's for a PC with 5 drives installed.

As for being silent, it's as near to silent as makes no difference. I run the fans at full speed and if I listen very carefully (with no other noise in the room) I can just about hear it starting up. When it's running I need to move within a few inches of the case to hear anything which is a very very faint noise from the CPU fan. I also have one of our office 4U supermicro servers in the same room as me and it drowns out everything when it's switched on; it's a noisy beast.

My PC runs cool too. The temperatures inside the case are lower than they are within the Supermicro case (despite it's cooling fans running at full speed all the time) and I have no worries about items potentially overheating.

I'm so impressed with the build quality and silence of the Define R4 that I'm going to replace the Supermicro server case in my office with their Define XL case (need to be able to fit an EATX motherboard) just to get some peace and quiet but in the knowledge that everything will fit and cooling should be excellent.

If you want a good looking, solid, silent, and well-engineered case that's easy to work with, I'd highly recommend this. In fact, I'd recommend it for ANY PC build. It's worth the very small premium for a case that you're going to have to live with every day for the next few years.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›