Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 9 June 2013
A truly frightening, beautiful and thought-provoking account of a human being's vision of the realms of the hereafter. I had read Dan Brown's "Inferno" and was interested in familiarising myself afterwards with various things mentioned in it, including Dante's Inferno and the architecture that Mr Brown describes, and I was amazed by Dante's incredible poetry and sense of drama.

On the Kindle, I was not totally keen on the layout - even with adjustments there was not much to a page, which interrupted the flow a bit, but I quickly got used to it and was able to make it work.

Whether people choose to read this work on the Kindle or as a real printed book, I totally recommend it to all.
on 11 December 2013
obviously the content is great as it is a classic but it hasn't really converted well to kindle. The font is quite large and there are a lot of spaces inbetween the lines. this makes it quite difficult to read.
on 1 November 2010
I bought this book as we are publishing a book on Dante and astrology - I needed something to check the author's work against and this is superb. The stunning illustrations really help a complete novice to grasp the bigger picture. Buy it!
on 1 May 2010
LARGE hardback book with beautiful drawings by Gustave Dore. For the uninitiated I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with the text before buying-but for the £10.92 price I paid this was worth every penny. If you want to read Dante's classic in luxury this is the version to go for.
on 3 June 2013
Amazing visuals, which enhances the narrative. I have always heard of Dante, but this book fills all the gaps and provides comprehensive information
on 12 March 2016
Just like one of the other reviewers, I too had been reading Dan Browns Inferno and got fascinated with Dante's work and ordered both this audiobook as well as an actual book. The story, the actors and the production are all great! John Hurt, is a fantastic actor and puts down a wonderful performance as an old Dante, telling the story. As the book is written in a poem form, it is a bit harder to read, so this audiobook helps to understand the story before reading the book. I did this way both for this reason as well as I'm travelling a lot and like to listen to audiobooks while on the road.
I've previewed some of the other Dante audiobook versions and can honestly say that this seems to be the best one. Some are dramatised like this one and others are just read from the book, unabridged. These latter ones often sound quite monotonous, mainly bynthenway they are read. Reading in an audiobook aquires skill. Jonathan Cecil was one the best actors I know of who mastered this skill, whether it was comedy like P.G. wodehouse or any other more serious work.
Anyway... This is a very well made BBC dramatised version of Dantes Divine Comedy !
on 9 July 2015
I found the descriptions of the physical set up of the universe amazing given the date of writing, and interesting how he sets his mythological world so firmly in it. I like the way he weaves biblical characters and characters from his own time in throughout. Very poetic too with so many references to Greek mythology! This translation though is hard to read though because of the strange sentence structures and extensive vocabulary but I imagine it is close to the original background language.
on 7 April 2014
I really like it and I found it very useful for my personal interests. It comes as it is described, so very satisfactory.
on 22 June 2014
I am very pleased with this purchase, and I think that it is worthy of my assessment of the highest rating.
on 4 December 2013
I am not Italian but I am fascinated by the country, language and especially the people. I had no idea how important La Commedia is in Italy and so when I learned about it, I just had to have my own copy. In English of course.
Dante was a fascinating man with a real vision and a determination to parody officialdom in the city. A beautifully bound and illustrated volume