Published 19 months ago by Lucius

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISSAPOINTING
Published 12 days ago by J Blazkowicz

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly powerful computer for such a small size. Top quality., 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: Apple Mac Mini (Quad-Core i7 2.3GHz Processor, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 1TB, HD Graphics, Launched Oct 2012) (Personal Computers)
I'd been looking for a desktop Mac to compliment my MacBook and initially was looking at the iMac, having had one previously I know just how great they are, but what concerns me with the iMacs is that when you want to upgrade you have to change the entire system, screen and all! For about the same price, you can buy the Mac Mini and a 27in Thunderbolt screen, giving you pretty much the same identical system, but with the advantage of being able to upgrade the main computer unit at a later date without having to get rid of your monitor, which proves to be very cost saving!

As with any Mac, it was up and running within minutes of me getting it out of the box and I was away and working with all my applications downloaded / installed in minutes ready to get to work! It comes with Mountain Lion installed, although it needed the latest update, that didn't take long to do.

The inclusion of USB 3.0 on the latest version of the Mac Mini is a huge bonus and allowed me to add a large capacity external hard drive for much more storage space for all my photo and video library, yet it still copies files as quickly as having the drive mounted internally. You can use the Thunderbolt port to add external storage, but prices are still very high for Thunderbolt enabled devices compared to USB 3.0 and the advantages are limited given hard drives can't get anywhere near the USB 3.0 data transfer limit. The one great thing about Thunderbolt is that with the Apple 27in Thunderbolt monitor, it acts as a hub for your other devices with more Thunderbolt and USB ports, not to mention the speakers and a built-in webcam, all of which get configured automatically once you plug it in.

I've upgraded this with an SSD myself, it is a bit fiddly to get to the hard drive be honest but well worth it in terms of performance boost. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you're an absolute beginner as there is the potential to damage the internals, but I also wouldn't recommend paying Apple's prices for their own SSD upgrades!

With the SSD it now sits there almost silently and because it is so small it can be hidden away off the desk. You can get a 3rd party caddy that screws under the desk to hold it in, which is a nice neat solution. With an HDMI port on the back you can easily hook up two monitors - one via the Thunderbolt port and one via the HDMI and it sorts everything out automatically for you with no effort required configuring anything.

A quality product as you'd expect from Apple. Well worth considering against an iMac - though I realise the new iMac's are super thin and look very cool! I'm hoping that Apple will update the 27in display soon to the new thinner model they have on the 27in iMac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, quiet, neat and beautiful, 16 Sep 2013
Brian Evans (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
As an engineer I appreciate the build and design of this neat little package. I run both Macintosh and Windows 7 operating systems, the latter via Boot Camp. The Mac side is seamless and a pleasure to use. Windows works as well as a dedicated PC except for some of the operating system drivers supplied by Apple, particularly with Apple bluetooth keyboards, mice and trackpads. As these are software issues I have not reduced the rating but am somewhat unimpressed.

All in all, probably the best value for money of all Apple products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Mac Mini, 25 Mar 2013
J. Martin "Apple JAM" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great product. It super quick and very capable. I brought to replace my 2010 Macbook pro and I have no regrets at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed powerful desktop Mac. Absolutely Love it!, 1 Jan 2014
John Ryan "One man and his Kat" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Beautifully designed powerful desktop Mac. Absolutely Love it!

If you're like me, you'll have spent ages comparing features and specs before splashing the cash on a new Mac. In my case I already have a MacBook Pro and wanted an additional machine for my daughter, and this fits the bill beautifully.

Here's why...

Quick word of warning first - if you already own a MBP or MBA and want a techie comparison with the iMac best skip this review. I've come from a Windows background, and I'm not an expert on the Apple mac line-up, and this is meant for similar non-experts.

Firstly, the hardware - which is all held in a small aluminium box at about 8 x 8 inches and about 1.5 inches tall.

In terms of hardware you get:-

* * 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel processor with 4Gb of Memory (Terrifically Fast and powerful !)
* * 1 Terabyte hard drive (Gigantic amount of space for photos and videos). Put this in context - a thousand Gb!
* * A Firewire 800 port (to connect a very fast external disk)
* * 4 USB 3.0 ports (to connect a keyboard, external disks or other stuff)
* * HDMI port - to connect to an external screen or TV
* * Thunderbolt connection (Apple's own connection for an external screen or very fast disk)
* * Audio line - for a headphone
* * Gigabyte Ethernet port - for the internet
* * WIFI connectivity plus Bluetooth
* * SDXC card - so you can transfer photos
* * Preinstalled Mac OS X and iLife (free upgrade to the latest operating system Mavericks)

* What you don't get:

* External monitor (I recently upgraded to a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS Widescreen LED Monitor and Love it)
* Keyboard (You may well already have one). The Apple Wireless Keyboard is brilliant (but expensive)
* Mouse (I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Apple Magic Trackpad - it's wonderful to use).

Apple hardware (when comparing by pure spec) is more expensive than the equivalent running Windows, but you really do get what you pay for, and they come with incredible attention to detail, and beautifully designed inside and out.

In this case of this particular device, it is:-

* Unbelievably quiet. Almost no noise at all
* Wonderfully small and compact - takes up almost no space on the desk
* Looks beautiful
* Incredibly easy to upgrade the memory (just unscrew the base)

The only complaint I have is, all the connections are at the back - including USB ports, and it gets a bit cramped (I have two USB devices where the plug is too wide). I soon solved this by adding a set of external USB ports. Other than that - it's an wonderful.

As a prior Windows laptop user, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND buying a Apple Magic Trackpad. The multi-touch trackpad is a real revelation, and actually worth the extra money. You can scroll down web pages (two fingers up/down), or scroll through web history (two fingers left/right), and the "System Preferences" window where you can configure the options includes a handy video demonstrating the options available. It's hard to over-state the benefit of this. It's so wonderfully accurate, it makes your laptop a real pleasure to use (again compared to my Windows laptop).

If you really want to complete the "Apple" look - I'd recommend a genuine Apple keyboard as well. Island style black keys - nicely spaced out, and back-lit. There's a set of dedicated keys along the top to control features including screen brightness, play, fast forward and stop, plus sound.

Of course this machine no longer comes with a DVD/CD drive - but even still all software is available online through the Apple Mac Store, and another nice surprise - consistently cheaper than equivalent windows software, and without the annoying collection of boxes, software keys and disks to avoid losing.

Sound quality is not bad, although not as good as I'd have hoped - but I plug in external speakers myself - or better still, stream music to my Hi Fi speakers via an Apple TV. It's worth noting - you can stream anything on screen (videos or Netflix) to an Apple TV - including high quality sound. A great bonus.

Although I don't often play games, I'm told this is not a "serious" gaming machine, for for web use or video streaming it's more than capable. I can't really comment more than that.

In terms of software, these are well provided for straight out of the box including free copies of:-

* iPhoto - to import, edit and manage photos - including from the "cloud" (any photos taken on an iPhone or iPad)
* Garage Band - a drum machine on your laptop
* Movie Maker - to edit and publish home-made videos
* Calendar, Mail and text editor etc
* Reminders - to remind you

Since I bought mine some time ago, Apple announced anyone buying a new machine will also get a free copy of Pages, Numbers and Keynote (their presentation program) - but I'm not 100% sure if this includes this model. Even if you don't these are only around 10-15 each - not the 100-150 we're used to paying for Word. Excel and PowerPoint.

During the past 18 months I've also noticed how the OS is becoming even more integrated with the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. For example, you can now write a Pages or Numbers or Keynote (Word, Excel or PowerPoint for the rest of us) on a Mac and then view and edit them on an iPad (and the software is also free on a new iPad). You can also set a reminder on your iPhone and see it pop up on your Mac, or take a photo on your iPhone and see it appear (no wires, in fact completely automatic) on your Mac in the iPhoto application. This may not be a compelling reason to buy THIS particular model, but it is a great advantage if you already have (or plan to buy) and iPhone or iPad.

Finally, you can of course also upgrade this little machine. The two most popular upgrades are:-

* Memory - it comes with 4Gb - but can be increased to 8Gb or even 16Gb pretty easily
* Disk - I'd eventually replace the existing "Hard Disk" with a "Solid State Disk" - which will make this machine much faster, and add a few more years usage.

On balance - I'd have to say I love Apple Macs - and indeed all Apple hardware (iPhone, iPad included) so it's hard to give a purely objective view. But this is a beautifully designed, well built machine. Highly recommended

Hope you found this review useful - Many Thanks !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Product, 24 Mar 2014
Small, fast and built to the highest standard there's nothing better out there with this form factor. I would recommend the Mac Mini to anybody who wants to try Mac OS, it's so much better than Windows 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 7 April 2014
Ukmantis (warwickshire, uk) - See all my reviews
I wanted a replacement for an old 15" laptop that I only use these days on a desk hooked upto a 24 " screen. I have other apple products (iphone, Ipad) so after reading alot of reviews on laptops, desktops, etc i went for this.
I wasn't put off by the "possibility" of a new unit being released "this year", there is no point as whatever you buy, it's already going to have a replacement/upgrade in the pipeline!!
I am very impressed with this little unit. It's quick, quiet and very small for a PC. I have two 24" screens hooked up, no issues connecting or running them. The utilities on the MAC pulled the data i wanted from my old PC very easily.
All in all I would recommend this unit to anyone (apart from serious gamers).

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away., 20 Jun 2014
Had this computer for 3 days now and I am astounded at the performance of it considering its small form factor. Would recommend for anyone who wants a Mac but doesn't want to pay the price tag of an iMac or MBP.

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISSAPOINTING, 14 July 2014
Having purchased a few Apple products in the past and experienced the quality and reliability that Apple offer, I thought I would upgrade my old windows pc, so I bought my first Mac, I use it in the living room, connected to my home theatre system thinking it would be great for movies from itunes ect, then I come across this "choppy video playback" issue, which I find very annoying, so I went onto the Apple supprt forums only to find tonnes of people having the same issue, dates ranging from 2007-2014, I tried all the fixes and none of them worked, which was the same response that most people gave. I can tell you that it's not my internet speed, that is 40mpbs fibre optic, the Mac mini should be more than capable of streaming an HD movie. Then Safari starts to freeze when side swiping from page to page, a fix for this is to reset the P RAM which does cure it, but I find myself having to do this once a week, which is unacceptable, I have done all the scans for faulty hardware/software but with no fault found. I wish I hadn't persevered with trying to fix it, I should of just got my money back, but unfortunate it had gone over the 30 days. VERY VERY DISSAPOINTED!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, I should have switched to Mac years ago. Delivery was so quick too!, 24 April 2013
I chose this Mac because I grew weary of wrestling with different PC / laptop issues using them as Digital Audio Workstations.
With the 16GB upgrade, I installed my DAW and it worked flawlessly right away - perfect!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast & Capable, 3 May 2014
Mr. R. Enderby "Ruggerroy" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
My several year old iMac was becoming very slow, and I chose to replace it with a Mac Mini. Connecting a display proved more problematic than i'd hoped, if I was not using the HDMI lead to my HDTV. Once connected and up and running however, i was not disappointed with fast access to the Internet, and all my Applications.

I've no doubt upgrading the memory to 16 GB helped, and was not difficult for an inexperienced user like me to do.