4.0 out of 5 stars Entry to the world of Apple Mac
Published 22 months ago by Bernardette Lugner

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but SLOW
Bought this as a network machine but it is SLOOOW - painful performance in the finder which makes using it across the network pretty useless.
Published 10 days ago by Brian Homer

4.0 out of 5 stars Entry to the world of Apple Mac, 9 Jun. 2013
Bernardette Lugner (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apple Mac Mini (Dual-Core i5 2.5GHz Processor, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB, HD Graphics) (Personal Computers)
If you already own a good screen, the compact Mac Mini could be for you, and will get you -- as it did me -- into the world of Mac and OS X a lot more cheaply, but less prettily, than buying an iMac. I got set up very quickly, using a Logitech wireless keyboard and an Apple Magic Mouse, plus an ordinary Dell screen and my speakers. The included video adapter makes the connection to the screen work, or you can attach to an HDMI-equipped screen or TV. If you want to use DVDs or CDs, you will need to buy an external drive and plug it into a USB port. (£25-30). My cheap Samsung DVD drive was fine.

The Mac Mini box looks great, is completely silent, but is inconvenient to use. Everything is around the back - on/off switch, four USB3 ports, line in and sound out ports, camera memory card port, etc., and I found that a USB extension hub made life easier. That line in port will not work with a normal microphone.

Performance with 4GB memory is not good enough. Using OS X Mountain Lion generally leads you to have multiple windows open and multiple applications running, so with 4GB the Mac Mini is disappointingly slow. Luckily, it is very easy to follow the supplied instructions, unclip the 4GB and put in two new memory modules. I installed 16GB (about £100) and performance was transformed for the better. Having checked memory usage, I would expect 8GB also to give good performance.

If, like me, you need to use PC software that has no equivalent on Mac, then I would recommend the Parallels software that lets you run Windows on the Mac Mini.

5.0 out of 5 stars The hard drive can be changed I believe which would help but they make it difficult So I have a new warranted PC with potential, 18 Nov. 2014
Firstly I ordered this product from Amazon at 11pm Saturday and it was delivered Monday 2pm so a big thanks to Amazon efficiency. This is in total contrast to Currys online who advertised the same product online buy and collect in one hour. Having been fed a load of miss information it transpires that Currys take money of people for items with no stock and then cannot advise when they will be getting any. After two weeks they cancelled my order stating no stock
I could have told them 2 weeks ago

Rant over. Why did I buy this 2012 model over the 2014 equivalent

Simple! in the apple store the new model took over 1 minute booting up and was painfully slow
This model boots in 35 seconds and I snippy enough for most tasked however this model can be upgraded to ssd and additional ram
The 2014 model has soldered fixed ram so you are set for life. The hard drive can be changed I believe which would help but they make it difficult

So I have a new warranted PC with potential upgrade for future demands

Great product

Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed entry level Mac. Absolutely Love it!, 1 Jan. 2014
Beautifully designed entry level Mac. Absolutely Love it!

If you're like me, you'll have spent ages comparing features and specs before splashing the cash on a new Mac. In my case I already have a MacBook Pro and wanted an additional machine for my daughter, and this fits the bill beautifully.

Here's why...

Quick word of warning first - if you already own a MBP or MBA and want a techie comparison with the iMac best skip this review. I've come from a Windows background, and I'm not an expert on the Apple mac line-up, and this is meant for similar non-experts.

Firstly, the hardware - which is all held in a small aluminium box at about 8 x 8 inches and about 1.5 inches tall.

In terms of hardware you get:-

* * 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel processor with 4Gb of Memory (Not fastest but not bad!)
* * 500GB hard drive (Huge amount of space for photos and videos)
* * A Firewire 800 port (to connect a very fast external disk)
* * 4 USB 3.0 ports (to connect a keyboard, external disks or other stuff)
* * HDMI port - to connect to an external screen or TV
* * Thunderbolt connection (Apple's own connection for an external screen or very fast disk)
* * Audio line - for a headphone
* * Gigabyte Ethernet port - for the internet
* * WIFI connectivity plus Bluetooth
* * SDXC card - so you can transfer photos
* * Preinstalled Mac OS X and iLife (free upgrade to the latest operating system Mavericks)

* What you don't get:

* External monitor (I recently upgraded to a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS Widescreen LED Monitor and Love it)
* Keyboard (You may well already have one). The Apple Wireless Keyboard is brilliant (but expensive)
* Mouse (I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Apple Magic Trackpad - it's wonderful to use).

Apple hardware (when comparing by pure spec) is more expensive than the equivalent running Windows, but you really do get what you pay for, and they come with incredible attention to detail, and beautifully designed inside and out.

In this case of this particular device, it is:-

* Unbelievably quiet. Almost no noise at all
* Wonderfully small and compact - takes up almost no space on the desk
* Looks beautiful
* Incredibly easy to upgrade the memory (just unscrew the base)

The only complaint I have is, all the connections are at the back - including USB ports, and it gets a bit cramped (I have two USB devices where the plug is too wide). I soon solved this by adding a set of external USB ports. Other than that - it's an wonderful.

As a prior Windows laptop user, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND buying a Apple Magic Trackpad. The multi-touch trackpad is a real revelation, and actually worth the extra money. You can scroll down web pages (two fingers up/down), or scroll through web history (two fingers left/right), and the "System Preferences" window where you can configure the options includes a handy video demonstrating the options available. It's hard to over-state the benefit of this. It's so wonderfully accurate, it makes your laptop a real pleasure to use (again compared to my Windows laptop).

If you really want to complete the "Apple" look - I'd recommend a genuine Apple keyboard as well. Island style black keys - nicely spaced out, and back-lit. There's a set of dedicated keys along the top to control features including screen brightness, play, fast forward and stop, plus sound.

Of course this machine no longer comes with a DVD/CD drive - but even still all software is available online through the Apple Mac Store, and another nice surprise - consistently cheaper than equivalent windows software, and without the annoying collection of boxes, software keys and disks to avoid losing.

Sound quality is not bad, although not as good as I'd have hoped - but I plug in external speakers myself - or better still, stream music to my Hi Fi speakers via an Apple TV. It's worth noting - you can stream anything on screen (videos or Netflix) to an Apple TV - including high quality sound. A great bonus.

Although I don't often play games, I'm told this is not a "serious" gaming machine, for for web use or video streaming it's more than capable. I can't really comment more than that.

In terms of software, these are well provided for straight out of the box including free copies of:-

* iPhoto - to import, edit and manage photos - including from the "cloud" (any photos taken on an iPhone or iPad)
* Garage Band - a drum machine on your laptop
* Movie Maker - to edit and publish home-made videos
* Calendar, Mail and text editor etc
* Reminders - to remind you

Since I bought mine some time ago, Apple announced anyone buying a new machine will also get a free copy of Pages, Numbers and Keynote (their presentation program) - but I'm not 100% sure if this includes this model. Even if you don't these are only around £10-£15 each - not the £100-£150 we're used to paying for Word. Excel and PowerPoint.

During the past 18 months I've also noticed how the OS is becoming even more integrated with the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. For example, you can now write a Pages or Numbers or Keynote (Word, Excel or PowerPoint for the rest of us) on a Mac and then view and edit them on an iPad (and the software is also free on a new iPad). You can also set a reminder on your iPhone and see it pop up on your Mac, or take a photo on your iPhone and see it appear (no wires, in fact completely automatic) on your Mac in the iPhoto application. This may not be a compelling reason to buy THIS particular model, but it is a great advantage if you already have (or plan to buy) and iPhone or iPad.

Finally, you can of course also upgrade this little machine. The two most popular upgrades are:-

* Memory - it comes with 4Gb - but can be increased to 8 or even 16Gb pretty easily
* Disk - I'd eventually replace the existing "Hard Disk" with a "Solid State Disk" - which will make this machine much faster, and add a few more years usage.

On balance - I'd have to say I love Apple Macs - and indeed all Apple hardware (iPhone, iPad included) so it's hard to give a purely objective view. But this is a beautifully designed, well built machine. Highly recommended

Hope you found this review useful - Many Thanks !

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 2 Feb. 2014
Works as well as you would expect EXCEPT, boot up time is much much slower than my Macbook Pro and even loading of desktop windows seems a bit slow. Been a Mac user for 10 years and a bit puzzled about this. But a veyr neat package and good to be able to use existing accessories to keep the price down.

WARNING If bought form the Apple store it comes bundeled with more APple software than this Amazon version. Not expected! SO the £40 saving goes if you want iLife full package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini. Mightily so., 13 Dec. 2012
Postage.
I received my Mac two days before the estimated arrival date. Wonderful. However, I found it lying in my porch, not signed for and unprotected. For me this wasn't a major concern. I didn't have much time to dwell upon that fact anyway because as soon as I opened my door I fetched some scissors to allow me to attack the box ferociously. If you don't have a porch then this may be a worry, however I feel as though this may have been the postman's own fault.

Price
This Mac, already the cheapest of all Macs, has been made cheaper. Cheaper even than Apple's education discount. Not only this but it also has a much shorter shipping date than the Apple website as well (5 days).

Product
Within 10 minutes of opening the box, I had the Mac mini connected to my HDTV via an HDMI cable, my disc drive (something to consider seeing as the mini is lacking in that area) via a USB cable and my wireless mouse and keyboard via Bluetooth. This just illustrates the flexibility of this product. Set-up was just as easy. It comes up with the necessary steps to ensure that you can make the most of your computer immediately. You shall need an Apple ID but if you don't possess one then you can easily create one for free.
The baseline Mac mini has all the necessary specification for home computer and casual gaming. A 3rd Gen dual core i5 processor, 500GB hard drive and 4GB RAM (easily upgradable to 8 and beyond) is more than capable of handling all of you tasks.

Overall this is a great product well worth the £467 price tag. I'm looking forward to carrying out all of my computing needs on this machine for the next few years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small & quiet iTunes server, 9 Jun. 2014
busb (SE UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Had mine for about nine months. I bought it from Apple with a Bluetooth keyboard & trackpad. The reason for buying one was to run iTunes straight into my Hi Fi system so is connected to it with the HDMI going to my plasma TV. I have reduced the resolution down to 720p so I can also browse the internet from my TV, instead of my Sony laptop from my armchair whose screen appears a fair bit bigger.
For the purpose of an iTunes server in a Hi Fi system, my first concern would be physical noise - don't be, you have to listen carefully a few inches away to hear any hard disc activity. Some may have concerns using a keyboard, mouse or trackpad wirelessly, again, Apple know what they are doing regarding such connectivity - you will not find that you can't control the Mac Mini. it will warn you that batteries need replacing or recharging.
As for audio, I use USB to connect to my audiolab M-DAC whose XLRs connect directly to my power amplifier then onwards to my Totem Arro speakers. The DAC's remote controls the volume digitally & the Mac Mini's graphical volume display will show changes in volume. The Mac's volume if effectively set to max so volume is only controlled by one device: the DAC itself.
I deliberately don't run that many apps on my Mac, Spotify Premium being the second major one. My DAC's remote can select the tracks or pause iTunes & just pause Spotify. The sound quality from either is top-notch without resorting to any applications such as Audrivarna (I did try a trial of this app & found it made no difference to sound quality so "uninstalled" it).
You cannot describe a Mac without mentioning its operating system. As the whole point of my Mac is to serve audio, I'm not interested in running Windows as well, so cannot comment on how well this basic Mac will run Windows apps. My Mac Mini is running the current version of Mavericks that's is going to get a major overhaul visual overhaul later in 2014 (Yosemite). As a long term windows user (up to Win 7 that is), the Mac's interface does look very tired, though many may well disagree.
The Mac OS (OSX) is very different from Windows in nearly all respects! It's based on a far more robust class of OS called UNIX from which the like of Linux is derived. Although the Macs carry through Apple's reputation for simplicity, Windows users will soon find themselves searching help to do quite simple tasks such as cutting & pasting! There's no Control x, c or v but Command (⌘) instead or right click brings up those & other options. The Mac OS does not have a registry like windows, so uninstalling apps is more like deletion but rather than detail the differences in a review, read up. You can run instances of OSX from an external hard drive or very slowly from a memory stick so is one of the major differences between OSX & Windows with the other major one being integration with Apple IOS devices. Write a calendar event on your iPhone & it will appear in Calendar on your Mac. The same applies to iTunes purchases, Notes or even web pages visited. Apple understand synch'ing across devices very well. Expect even tighter integration under Yosemite & IOS8 in the Autumn such as working on an iPad/iPhone on the move then finishing the task on a Mac
As for connectivity, there is one HDMI, one thunderbolt, four USB3 ports, one Firewire800, one Ethernet & an SDXC slot (all) on the rear. As for wireless, Wi-Fi up to N, Bluetooth up to 4 & even infrared so you can use an Apple remote if you wish. Most updates to either the OS or app generally take minutes with the occasional major one requiring a reboot. Although I have Office365 on my iPad & iPhone, I've chosen to keep my Mac basic as possible. For ripping, I use Apple's SuperDrive to burn audio CDs or playback DVDs (not BR discs!). Apple making backing up very easy, I use a Firewire400 650GB then use the native Time Machine app. As for security, you have various log-on options from none to password entry. Most people don't bother with anti-virus for Macs. The expert advice I've read seems to suggest there is little point at the moment but you can buy AV apps if you want.
My experience using Macs & OSX has generally been very positive, I already had an Apple account so merely added the Mac Mini to it. The build quality is up to Apple's usual high quality & stuff like Standby mode & other power-saving settings work well enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best Mac Mini to date with a few compromises though, 29 April 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
The Mac Mini is your introduction into the "more affordable side" of Apple computers, with a very small footprint not only does the Mini look cool with it's sleek smooth lines, it's eco friendly with it's low power consumption, yes has a respectable Dual Core i5 processor and solid overall spec.

There are a few downers though worth a mention
And a lot of good things to like

My overall conclusions good/bad

Pros:
+ Sleek, compact and very lightweight fits anywhere taking up no space
+ Good performance for day to day tasks (more power intensive users should look at the Core i7 model)
+ Decent base specification, 500GB hard drive is enough for many users as is 4GB of ram
+ Easy to upgrade memory (via the removable base) takes up to 16GB ram
+ Good connectivity 1x Thunderbolt port, 1x FireWire 800 port; 4xUSB 3 ports; HDMI port; SDXC card slot, 3.5mm headphone socket. You can connect to a VGA monitor with an additional adaptor
+ Built in wifi, excellent performance and range + Bluetooth 4.0

Cons:
- No optical drive (you'll have to buy an external drive)
- SD slot at the rear, the least convenient place to put it, ditto on lack of front USB port
- Lacks the dedicated graphics of previous Mac Mini's (so it takes some memory for that use around 512MB with the 4GB option) GPU performance is a bit of a step down from the previous AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics

Note: Memory is very easy to upgrade on this model (with the removable panel underneath) do yourself a huge favour and buy your own memory rather than letting Apple haul you over the big margin "coal fires" Fitting an SSD requires a bit more work though, still this was an issue on previous models that has been resolved

The Intel HD Graphics 4000 can handle HD video files without issue (smooth playback), and can manage ok for some older games COD4, or WOW ok. Just don't expect the newer titles to play that well without dropping settings down a bit. There is an approx 20-25% hit on GPU performance v the AMD graphics (roughly) a non issue if you don't play games, but worth a mention

OSX is slick as ever, but give yourself a bit of time to adapt if you are new to the OS
You can use your current keyboard, mouse and monitor (check your monitor connections though, ie if it's VGA you will need the mini port adaptor) HDMI and DVI are no problems (HDMI to DVI adapter is included)

This makes for a good office solution or media computer (very quiet too). As ever..as a PC builder myself it's a tad pricey as all Apple products are (if you want a super budget computer then a pc is cheaper be in no doubt) Quality is excellent though. Whilst I respect Apple's clean lines look, there are practical issues too. Putting all the USB and the SD card slot at the rear is a royal pain having to reach around all the time, so consider a card reader or USB extender cable.

Can't really fault it though in most ways, a quality offering as ever from Apple.

Note: A newer updated model is expected this year; though as ever if you need a computer "now" then go ahead you will be happy enough with this small "little wonder" If you want to "dip your toes" into the Apple water without shelling out on an iMac then this is a solid way to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Computer, 29 Jun. 2013
I bought the i5 MacMini to replace an acer ultrabook which broke after 12 days and came with Windows 8 which is an appalling OS for non touch-screen computers. This is my first computer with OSX and my impressions have been really great so far. The only app I needed to download was BetterSnapTool because the only Windows OS feature I missed was Aerosnap (cost about £1.99 from the Apple App Store). Other than that OSX works like a dream!

The MacMini is a great computer. It runs near silent, has an impressively good speaker and has great Apple aesthetics as you'd expect. The boot time is fast and all the apps I have used so far (Word,Photoshop, Mail, Excel, Final Cut) have all been working perfectly.

Really happy with the Mac Mini!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's and Mac and it works, 19 July 2014
N.G. (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this Mac Mini as I wanted to use Xcode with the cheapest possible Mac hardware. What can I say? It's a Mac and it works perfectly. The CPU and RAM amount is a bit dated by today's standards, but for coding and web browsing it works perfectly. I'm giving it 4 stars as the price vs. performance doesn't justify 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... I wiped it usual wear and tear cant complain great mac use it in the living room small like ..., 3 Dec. 2014
would have gave all stars but they never wiped if previous owner so I was stuck with password but I managed to contact previous owner who told me it and I wiped it usual wear and tear cant complain great mac use it in the living room small like a big cd player put powerful and even faster once I updated to 6gb