5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read
My first Kerry Wilkinson book..I was tempted by the 99p Kindle price. But I have to say that this book is worth 10 times that. Wonderful story telling, beautifully constructed characters and although it wasn't too difficult to identify the serial killer midway through the book, it didn't detract in any way from the excitement.
This author is a real find for me and as...
Published 23 months ago by D. Thomson

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty good
i quite liked it, though bits of it were a little predictable. Maybe i'm a super genius (i'm really not!) but i'd figured out the "how" of the crime from the beginning, and i had an inkling about the "who" long before the villain was revealed. I can't be more specific as i dont want to spoil it...but despite having a good idea as to what would happen i still enjoyed...
Published on 29 Nov 2011 by Jess Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 365 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy read, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: Locked In (Jessica Daniel Book 1): A DS Jessica Daniel Novel, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book by this auther I have read and I enjoyed it. Some good twists and turns in the plot and even though I worked this one out before the end out I'm going to try another. Not too much gruesome detail surrounding the murders for a change. I'm really don't need to know all the forensic details. Good, easy read. Jasper

4.0 out of 5 stars LOCKED IN, 7 Dec 2011
Amanda "sac" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Newly promoted Detective Sergeant Jessica Daniel is somewhat perplexed when a dead body is found in a house where there appears to be absolutely no sign of anyone actually entering or leaving the property. A full investigation goes ahead, and as more bodies are found, again with no sign of entry or exit from the deceased property the detective finds herself entrenched in a seemingly complicated case.
For the most part I did enjoy this book, felt it dipped a little in the middle, but it picked up and there was a reasonably good twist to the story. Worth reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and badly written, 14 Jan 2012
J. Thangue "Teresa" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I think the author must be (or have been) a press officer for GMP, nothing else can explain their obsession with the workings of the press. The attention to detail in this book is tedious and the style of writing is pedestrian. I had to skim read after a cople of chapters, the authors style was so off-putting, I really couldn't cope with reading all the tosh they'd cobbled together.

The format is trite and well-worn; difficult but brilliant female detective, brutal murders, yadda yadda yadda. The 'how' is blindingly obvious after a couple of chapters. In fact, so obvious I can't believe it's one of the main elements of the plot.

Three glaring errors almost made me give up on this book altogether: 1) barristers do not attend police interviews with suspects, that is the role of solicitors. 2) Jury foremen are selected after the jury retires to consider its verdict, not during the trial and c) witnesses do not sit in court listening to other witnesses give evidence before they give their own evidence as listening to other people's evidence coud compromise their testimony.

In all in all I am very sorry I bothered to buy and download this trashy book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book but grammatically flawed!, 9 Oct 2011
There are quite a few grammatical errors and after a seriously good proof read I would probably have given LOCKED IN 5 stars instead of 4 as the storyline, description and characters are all excellent. Jessica Daniel is a Detective Sergeant trying to track down a serial killer and bring them to justice, whilst battling a dodgy lawyer, persistent reporter and coming to terms with the circumstances behind her recent promotion. The fast-paced action is balanced with good character development as we get a good insight into both Jessica's motivation, and the frustrations she faces trying to solve a baffling case where the press seems to know more than she does. There are some great twists thrown in and from a police procedure point of view it seems realistic and clearly well researched. Jessica is easy to empathise with and I found myself drawn into the grittier side of Manchester and rooting for her from the start.

At the price a bargain and definitely one I recommend and will be buying the next in the series, just hoping Kerry Wilkinson has managed to employ a better editor. Although it's a small niggle it detracts from what is otherwise a brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 31 Mar 2012
amanda brock (fleet, hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
bought this as it had great reviews. I really loved the main character. I had to keep reading towards the end. Have downloaded the next one already. would thoroughly recommend this to everyone :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!, 14 Dec 2011
Ms. Helen Anderson (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought 'Locked in' as one of my first kindle books, simply because of the good reviews. They were certainly deserved! This is a brilliant book, with a great lead character. As soon as I finished it I downloaded 'Vigilante' - just as good! 'The Woman in Black' has just been released - and I read it in 2 days! If anything it's better. Would not hesitate to recommend these books - I shall be buying the next one as soon as it is released.

1.0 out of 5 stars Whodunnit?! Well it's pretty obvious...., 27 Dec 2011
I love crime thrillers and have read a lot of different authors. After reading the many positive reviews of this book and the fact it was hovering between Number 1 and 2 on the Kindle chart I assumed it would be a pretty good read that would keep me hooked...I was wrong.

It is SO obvious who the killer is from about 25% of the way through that I actually wonder if the police are totally stupid and delusional that they cannot see this. No it goes on with no-one seeing what is under their nose until nearly the last few pages, totally ridiculous and unrealistic. Not only that I found the whole story slow and unbelievable. The main characters are not well written and I don't think personally that Jessica Daniel is the kind of character you want to follow or believe in for one book let alone sequels.

I am disappointed that this book is not what it claims to be and suggest to some of the other readers to read some other crime fiction as I assure you there is DEFINITELY better out there...

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible book, 6 Mar 2012
Very disappointed with this book. Badly written, clunky exposition, unsympathetic characters, poor pacing, a totally unnecessary sub-plot that adds nothing to the main story, a blindingly obvious solution to the main problem and a reveal that had been signposted for about three-quarters of the book.

Locked In is in great need of a good editor who can point the author towards his strengths (the passage explaining the link between the crimes was easily the most compelling in the book) and minimise the weaknesses (too much telling, not enough showing). I won't be reading any more by this author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Jan 2012
What a load of cobblers'. Predictable plot and characters who inspired neither interest nor empathy. No idea why it's so near the top of the Kindle bestseller list - at least I didn't fork out a lot more cash for the hard copy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story but oh. the use of English !, 22 Nov 2011
Sally Parker (UK) - See all my reviews
Let me start by saying that this is a great story with plenty of twists and turns - I just wanted to keep reading ! The book is let down by the poor use of English. I always imagined that editors existed to point out and remove grammatical errors, but that doesn't seem to have happened here. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to the second Jessica Daniel book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 365 | Next ›