5.0 out of 5 stars Jack's Band On Top Form, 30 May 2014
Cornish Deadhead "Happy Harv" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Special Edition (Audio CD)
Jack Dejohnette is one of those musicians that is almost intertwined with my life (like so many) since he first appeared way back in the 60s for me on Dream Weaver along with Keith Jarrett who he has played with so much. Here we have his own band with 4 albums produced at the end of the 70s and early 80s, and what a quartet of albums they are. Jack is joined by David Murray on Special Edition & Album Album who for me I am eternally grateful to for his album Dark Star, being a Deadhead!

These albums showcase Jack as an all-round musician, composer and band leader, and (for me) the albums get progressively better with Album Album being the best. There are even some vocals undertaken at times. All of these albums still sound modern and vibrant and are a sheer joy to listen to.

ECM has produced a few of these "basic boxes" now, but the only other one that I have which also features Jack is Setting Standards: New York Sessions. The albums come in plain white cardboard sleeves in a cardboard clamshell box, and once again ECM pushed the boat out with the booklet here - 36 pages of info, photos and a well written essay.

All in all this is such an excellent package featuring one of the pillars of modern jazz today - just buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Revisiting Special Edition, 5 Sept. 2013
JDX (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Special Edition (Audio CD)
Arthur Blythe is a favourite player. Jack de Johnette even more so. I have the LP. I considered digitalizing that but when i looked at this set of four CDs I decided it was worth buying the commercially produced version and getting three bonus CDs that I knew would all contain tracks I would like.

The prediction was sound, This is a box to treasure. You don't get autorip with ECM disks but dropping them into Amazon Cloud was very easy (I find it easier than iTunes). You can hear longer samples on iTunes and that is very helpful: On One For Eric listen out for a phrase from David Murray that Mike Brecker developed into a wonderful blues (Delta City Blues).

Good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Special Edintion, 8 Aug. 2013
This contains the albums:
1. Special Edition
2. Tin Can Alley
3. Inflation Blues
4. Album Album
The first one I owned was the last of these and I have been a huge fan of that album in particular and of this band generally. There have been many great jazz drummers/band leaders but Jack DeJohnette is way up there with the very best. He deserve that place for his work as band leader, for his work with Miles Davis, with Gateway, with Keith Jarrett, Joe Henderson, Charles Lloyd, Freddie Hubbard... individually. Special Edition was a truly special band, I cannot recommend this highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, 28 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Special Edition (Audio CD)
Jack deJohnette - Special Edition non è distribuito in Italia, qui l'ho trovato a prezzo conveniente.
Acquisto azzeccato e ottima musica

Special Edition
Special Edition by Jack DeJohnette (Audio CD - 2012)