Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

on 4 December 2012
Absorbed from the opening pages, I settled down to read For the Sake of Her Family with ever increasing enjoyment. Not for this author a milksop heroine, but one with ambition and a determination to have for herself the finer things of life. The reader accompanies her on her journey of self-discovery, sometimes shocked at the mistakes she makes and then full of admiration at her courage. The characterisation of all of the characters is excellent, and I found it a joy to read this new author's beautiful and evocative descriptions of the Yorkshire dales. A well-written saga and highly recommended.
on 8 March 2013
what a great story from start to finish did not want to put book down to i had read it thank you
on 30 August 2013
Diane Allen is a New author to me and an ending I didn't expect - right to end I was kept guessing well worth a read I was absorbed from beginning to end - well written
on 7 February 2014
Ok read. Not really ' my -cup of tea'
Ending rather fast after all that had gone on. Not overly impressed. But I read it and whiled away a few hours. Didn't exactly grip me. But there you go!
on 28 September 2013
Loved this book from beginning to end, A wonderful strong character in Alice. Looking forward to more from this author.
on 18 December 2012
A real must read book.It was wonderful to find a new author writing such an enjoyable story.I got involved with Alice from page one and as the story unfolded got an insight into life all those years ago.
on 27 February 2014
Be cautious of the good reviews many have the same title and are cluster together date wise with little or no specific reference to the books content and I suspect some kind of mates and family conspiracy is going on because this book honestly us very poorly written and unoriginal with a somewhat silly and appealing working class heroine who is less strong willed and moral than many of Miss Cooksons heroines. Generally M's Cooksons books do us working class lasses proud.
The heroine here doesn't really do anything for anyones sake but her own. She is in fact a bit too unpleasant and selfish to appeal to the reader,which is strange considering the books title is about self sacrifice.
I returned the title as I found the tale predictable and the H&h unappealing.
Also, I'm a Yorkshire lass myself and the author doesn't demonstrate any genuine familiarity with the dialect which in a country bred family would have been particularly strong.
on 30 May 2014
When I first started this book I thought it was going to be the tale of poor little servant girl doing any job she could find. Well it was in a way but then I didn't realise what a feisty and brilliant character Alice was evolving into as she grew older. Determined to improve her status and income as well as looking after her brother, Will, she would tackle most things and was not afraid of speaking out when she felt she had been wronged.

Alice goes through much sadness before she finds happiness but am not saying anymore as don't want to spoil the story. Unlike some reviewers I did not guess how it was going to end but like the rest of us Alice learnt some lessons along the way and had her ups and downs. I now await the next book by Diane Allen and hope it is as interesting.
on 14 March 2014
I could not recommend this book to anyone
very shallow with awful dialogue the story line was interesting just let down by the poor writing
on 29 May 2014
The year, 1912, and with the death of their father life changes for Alice Bentham and her brother Will. To make ends meet they work for The Lord of the Manor and his sister. However ambition, greed, corruption and love change their lives for the worst. The wrong life choices are made resulting in lasting consequences. The start of the First World War appears to be the answer to their problems.
Excellent story, well written with well developed characters. Life choices in 1912 were very limited so I had a lot of sympathy for the Bentham family.
Good read