4.0 out of 5 stars I actually prefered this to the first one.
Okay I know my review will probably get slated after reading the other reviews but I did prefer this to the first one even though I agree with some of their points.

Published 17 months ago by Family Man

3.0 out of 5 stars seen worse
I have seen a lot worse, and reading the comments on here already left by reviewers i can see some valid points.
Published 17 months ago by Robster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars seen worse, 5 Feb 2013
Robster (manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)
The " hand held " camera genre has run out of pace i think, what was scary has become tiresome, as most of the time you can't really see what's going on, and now they are finding new ways to create effects in order to titillate an audience,for example, in this we are treated to one of the cast breaking wind in thermal vision, really?

In a nutshell, we have 40 minutes of film filler involving some pretentious stereotypical young film student gradually becoming obsessed with the notion that the the original film " Grave Encounters " was in fact a TRUE LIFE event, passed off as a film for the sake of it's release.
We are clearly looking at the film in the same way the makers of The Blair Witch Project sold their film all those years ago.

It's best not to expect a life changing experience, and instead watch a group of students run around an asylum whilst they, one by one meet their doom.

There is some sort of bizarre " twist " introduced in the final act, which just makes the whole thing silly, when will filmakers ( and i am NOT a film student ) realise that LESS is MORE.
It delivers, more or less, what the first film did, with the added scare factor edged up a notch, although i personally enjoyed the first film, with the final act suddenly venturing into the territory known as " no, stop, the film doesn't need this!! " again, less is more.
Did you enjoy the first film? Yes, then this will do the same for you.
If you found the first one abhorrent, then may i suggest you pass this by.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tries hard but fails., 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Grave Encounters was an excellent film well shot and well acted for the most part, what it did was to deliver a good and enjoyable horror film in the found footage tradition. This tries to continue in the same vein but falls very short of the mark. For starters it takes 34 minutes to get to the location of the first while it tries to build the story which most people will already know, and once there it just seems to be over all too soon. The second film could easily have kicked off with a film crew or another ghost hunting team investigating the disappearance of the first, but they followed another more convoluted route which I won't go into as I don't want spoilers, but which in my opinion wasted time and didn't really add to the story. Also don't think that having an 18 rating over the originals 15 will mean you will get a more horrific experience, I can only see ONE part of the film that would warrant that rating. The cover says "Darker, more insane and twice as terrifying...Are you ready to go back?" What it should have read was "We tried hard but, honestly, it is not as good as the first...Are you ready to go back...Eventually?"
A mediocre follow-on, but don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely mediocre follow-up to a good found footage movie, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)
My title says it all. Do try "Grave encounters 1" if you have not seen it, it has good performances and an intriguing script, with moments of real terror ( I am not speaking about gore, here, but about moments when the fabric of the universe seems to crack). This tries hard, but goes nowhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars LET'S SPLIT UP INTO TWO GROUPS, 28 April 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)
The first thirty minutes of the film introduces the characters as wannabe horror film make Alex Wright (Richard Harmon) goes from movie critic skeptic to believing the first film, "Grave Encounters" is real. He locates the REAL asylum where the movie was filmed and goes there with his own crew to film people with unhinged mouths, tables moving, a girl being dragged across the floor...all the stuff we have seen before in found footage films. I am beginning to believe these things simply appear on cameras if you leave them out too long.

You get tired of seeing Alex's face in the camera running his mouth. The beginning of the movie includes pixelated nudity and immature college pranks. There is a sweet "1408" twist in the middle of the film which makes it almost worth the view, at least that was the part I enjoyed as I didn't see it coming. The filming was done better, if that means anything. I suggest you jump to chapter 6 and start watching to prevent from getting bored. Seasoned horror film watchers might want to take a pass on this one. If you scare easy, go for it.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, brief obscure video sex, no real nudity.

4.0 out of 5 stars I actually prefered this to the first one., 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)

I did find the start of the movie a bit drawn out as there was really no horror moments but I didn't find it as bad as others have made out. The acting admittedly wasn't the best but that's kind of par for the course with most horrors.

I did however prefer when they got back into the asylum though. I think due to the fact that this movie spent less time in the actual asylum there wasn't as much time killing between scares. They had already set us up for the backstory in the first one so they could just get on with it.

Although I enjoyed the first movie I felt it had no ending. Now while I don't do spoilers I did feel that this one was wrapped up much better and gave us a bit of closure.

I also agree that the found camera style is getting a bit overdone but what did anyone expect from a sequel to a film that had that setup.

Overall in my opinion this movie was better than the first but wouldn't have worked without the setup of the first one. If you enjoyed the first one I would think you would like this even though some other obviously didn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its actually scary!!!, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a big lover of horror films and have seen countless, most poor at best. Grave Encounters 1 and 2 are the best, spookiest and good value DVD's I've bought in a long time. Draw the curtains, turn the lights down and enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring Encounters, 4 Dec 2013
D. Stan (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed the first one, therefore I had to buy the continuation. With the exception of Sean Rogerson's time on the screen, the whole movie is boring and lacks the impact that the first one had. The main character is also empty as hell, even though the movie spends more than 30 minutes trying to build his profile for us. It's not believable, and I don't buy the "your typical youtube guy" portrait they are trying to make.

The first movie somehow made the asylum look endless, this one is pretty cramped and there is a lot of time spent in rooms or chatting about how big the asylum is, but not showing it anymore. They are also adding a surrealist dimension to the whole thing, when in fact it should have just been about tormented ghosts not finding their peace in the afterlife. Now it's all about parallel dimensions, a ghost that wants to make a movie and has the power to alter reality. Common Vicious Brothers, we've seen this before in Evil Dead, you cannot top that. It needs Bruce Campbell to achieve, not a bunch of youtubers.

Two police officers "requesting backup" after finding a guy walking in the middle of the road is hilarious. It's the lack of attention to detail that makes this movie bad and not worthy as a sequel to the first one.

I can go on... but my advice is to watch on Lovefilm/Netflix if available.

2.0 out of 5 stars save your money, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)
not worth it, honestly i haven't even got the energy to describe it

The first one wasn't brilliant but is much better than this,its just one of them cheesy rubbish sequels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Not as great as the first one which was really great and became cult! But a good sequel, recommended for fans of the genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Have you seen Grave Encounters? If not, watch it before watching this. Not only because you'll understand this film better, but also because you will get a true reflection of the whole general story over both Grave Encounters films.
My personal review of Grave Encounters 2 is somewhat mixed. Its good 'scary' parts are excellent, however it takes far too long to build up to them, even more so than Paranormal Activity. And along with its good parts, it also has parts which are somewhat ridiculous (the hole in the wall part for those who've seen it).
Overall, I'm a little disappointed in this sequel. If you've seen the first one and liked it like me, definitely give it a go. If you haven't seen it, watch it before giving this film a go. Because if you don't, I don't think it'll give you the enticement to want to watch it after seeing this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Grave Encounters 2 [Blu-ray]
Grave Encounters 2 [Blu-ray] by John Poliquin (Blu-ray - 2013)
5.00