Need for Speed Most Wanted (Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox 360Edition: Standard EditionChange
Price:£13.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 31 December 2012
Although driving games have never been my preferred genre of gaming, I must admit to having a weak spot for the Need for Speed franchise, and this game in particular. I was a huge fan of the original Most Wanted and played it more hours than I care to admit. It is truly incredible therefore that I can come away from this game seeing not only a true reimaging but an improved game. Criterion have really turned this game into a masterpiece and the graphical design and level of detail is some of the best I have seen, despite the huge number of graphic heavy games released this year. The variety of cars and locations is brilliant and because they are all open to you right from the start you are very quickly able to chose a play style that suits you. This meant that I could choose the cars that suited the way I like to race and customise them to completely unrealistic but awesome proportions i.e. My little Corvette Zr1 was able to outrun the likes of Bugatti and Koenigsegg once I had it fully kited out.

The music track is also very good and the whole feel of the game is vibrant, full of energy and very exciting. There are some small issues, like a small drop in frame rate at some points, slight spawn issues in some of the races and some slightly irritating crash mechanics i.e. crashing against invisible objects, but there are easily overlooked when you play for any length of time.

When everything comes together in this game, as it often does, it is truly a mind-blowing experience and makes you feel like a true bad-ass. Some slight polish issues were enough to dock a star but I could easily recommend this game to anyone who has an interest in the racing genre or appreciates a quality video game. Criterion, take a bow!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Criterion Games bring you another instalment of the franchise which combines elements of their previous games Burnout: Paradise and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

But that’s not the whole story. I loved Paradise as much as Burnout:Revenge and I played NFS:Hot Pursuit and enjoyed it, but not enough to review it. I am a huge fan of Criterion who seem to be able to make racing games that appear to go faster than any others while still keeping lots of detail and handling lots of action.

Most Wanted features the ‘free roaming’ element of Paradise and the cop chase elements that made Hot Pursuit so much fun. The racing routes are very similar to those featured in previous games and the game mechanics have not changed much.

You still have some options to customise the cars that you can ‘jack’ from around the map – features are unlocked as you do well in races. The garages still dot the map and you can whiz through them to get your car fixed while racing; another feature is that the car colour will change which seems to help (a little) sometimes when you are trying to evade the police at low level of alertness. The levels of alertness mirror what was in Hot Pursuit and are similar to those in the GTA series. You can perform takedowns on rival racers and cops, but only the heaviest of cars (such as the Range Rover) can knock into traffic without disastrously frustrating results.

There are some very cool and fast cars dotted around the map which can be used straight away (just find them, drive up to them and press ‘Y’) – for instance I got hold of a Lamborghini after only a couple of hours of driving around and after a few challenges were complete I had it installed with racing tyres, nitro and a new chassis. I could then use it to take on a few of the ten ‘most wanted’ – these are special races that you do to win special cars. You need to win the race and then take down the other driver. Sometimes this is easier said than done – but the beaten driver helpfully drives around the map once you’ve won the specific race and gives you plenty of opportunities to take him out if you don’t get him immediately after the race.

The cars themselves are all fun to drive and have their individual characteristics for example the Subaru is great around corners but relatively slow, the Pagini is amazingly quick in a straight line (especially with nitro) but susceptible to takedowns and not so good on corners, the Bugati (my preferred supercar that I used for the last couple of most wanted races) is also quick in a straight and corners a little better and is not so flimsy, the Range Rover is like a ponderously slow tank that steers like a boat, and the open wheeled cars drive like go-karts but are really easy to take down and invariably crash at crucial moments.

The top ten cars are as follows: Alfa Romeo 4C Concept, Shelby Cobra 427, Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG, Lexus LFA, McLaren MP4-12C, Porsche 918 Spyder Concept, Lamborghini Aventador, Bugatti Veyron Super Sports (my preferred weapon of mass destruction), Pagini Huayra and the awesome Koenigsegg Agera R. All cars are shown in their full beauty in nifty cutscenes prior to the races which are only unlocked when you have accumulated enough points. There are lots of cars with lots of personality – rumour has it that the Fiat Punto is in there somewhere but I’ve yet to find it. There’s also a bit of weather which seemed to be missing from Paradise. But obviously if you want a proper driving sim then stick to Gran Turismo or PGR.

The cops can be an irritant and don’t stand down when you enter into a race. If they’re on level 3 alertness when you decide to do three laps in race to win some off road tyres then expect to be hassled all the way around the race and come out of it at an even higher alertness level than you entered. There’s no getting away from them unless you are in a really fast car. I tended to just sit back and let them bust me. If there are penalties (score reduction) they’re so small that I didn’t notice them. Quite a cute feature is that you can be in a race against eight rivals let’s say driving for 6 miles and 3 miles into the race the cops spot that there’s a race happening and join in trying to shut you all down. Spike strips are not as common as in Hot Pursuit and they seem slightly less inclined to try and ram you off the road in this iteration.

The music is pretty good, but once I had heard all the tracks I turned it off so I could concentrate on driving. There’s no DJ voiceover in the game, but the woman’s voice from Burnout: Revenge is featured. The menu system is pretty good and can be used while you’re driving without too much risk of crashing and the game autosaves regularly.

A couple of minor criticisms I have are that there seems to be less variety in terms of activities than Paradise and that the ten most wanted are relatively easy to collect (sometimes seeming to go out of there way to crash just before the end of the race). I have played the game for just over twelve hours and have collected all the special cars and now I only have the percentage complete and the medals in the races to target. I’m not enough of an OCD player to want to spend hours driving around trying to do all the minor things like speed cameras (a new feature I think), jump distances, security barriers and billboards. I haven’t done multiplayer so can’t comment on that.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Platform: Xbox 360Edition: Standard EditionVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Basically, Burnout Paradise re-skinned, innit.

Ok, not much of a review, rethink. I have to confess to not playing the original Most Wanted, but I was a BIG fan of Burnout up until Paradise. So, open-world racing. I LOVED Burnout Revenge, but when Paradise came out, it irritated the hell out of me. See, for me, racing games are about learning the courses, figuring out the best lines to take, shaving seconds of your time, and learning the best places to take out rivals or overtake. The whole open-world racing idea kills this factor and instead lets you do whatever the hell you want. Which is great, if you want to crash a lot, drive around aimlessly and socialise.

Unfortunately for me, I have 3 small children who have driven all my friends away, so I only really get to play single player, and a large part of Most Wanted (as with Burnout Paradise) is very geared towards community play. Don't get me wrong, the single player is great, but I also dislike that its constantly waving it's multiplayer integration in your face. I have no friends, I don't want to know, I just want to race from A to B and have a consistant race experience.

So those are the downsides. Upsides are that as with all Criterion games, handling is fantastic, the breadth of cars is phenomenal, the graphics are stunning and there are a lot of little touches that really add to the experience. It actually is a lot of fun when it all comes together it approaches the greatness of the earlier Burnout canon.

Personally though, I can't get past the open world problem. It's all too aimless for me.... Techically excellent though.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 December 2013
Ok, this is a really great game for starters. I highly recommend buying it. But there are only two things wrong as far as I can see:

STORYLINE- None. It would be nice to find out a little more about Fairhaven, race characters instead of just cars, etc etc. In this aspect the original is far better.

CUSTOMISATION- Though performance customisation is very good, actual appearance cannot be changed. No bodykits, decals or even choosing your own paint colour (you can choose your colour online though)

Maybe if EA had looked back on their 2005 success, and incorporated the old with the new, it would be an even better game than it already is.
on 15 September 2013
just fun to play. easy game to come back to for an hour or so. doesn't get as addicting as cod or battlefield. just a great game to have fun on
on 14 September 2013
Great buy. Bought at a very good price of £13.99 and have played on it in my free time for the last 2 weeks. Love the cop chases and idea of getting pro upgrades. However I thought the game became very repetitive after the first few cars. I made my way through cars I discovered A and B and there are only about 15 races altogether. If you are going to make a game with 100 odd cars you need some overlap between races but I'd say you need at least 300 races, ambushes and speed runs. I also thought it was very easy to complete because there are only 10 most wanted cars as apposed to 15 on the first most wanted game. The most wanted races are very easy and after that when you have to take them down they go looking for you.
on 17 February 2014
Ordered this game as I really wanted to try it out...it is amazing. The graphics are fantastic although I would say I am a novice when it comes to gaming I am addicted.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this game a couple of weeks after it was released, after being persuaded by the trailers, and I am obliged to say it's very disappointing. Very limited car selection and customization. The car detail is however very impressive, but the developer has taken almost no notice to the scenery, which is extremely pixelated and dull. In addition to this, you unlock cars by finding them on the stereets, hidden away in alleys etc. meaning you can unlock very powerful cars very early on. This can be positive or negative depending on what you enjoy and how much time you spend gaming.

I would not buy this game if you are a hardcore car lover, because the physics are unrealistic and the stunts and chases are outlandish. If, however you are an easily impressed softcore gamer that is only looking for fun, go ahead, add this to cart. For despite what it lacks graphically, it makes up for in the races themselves, which are quick and fun.

I am a more hardcore gamer, that appreciates racing games like Forza Motorsport, Gran Turismo and Formula 1, which is why I didn't enjoy this as much.

Hope this helped!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
To be honest I don't normally go for racing games, I'm more your hack and slash or blast the hell out of it gamer, yet when this title became an option I had friends that played the series and thought that I should try it, so I thought what the hell and gave it a go.

Firstly its definitley high octane, the graphics are pretty detailed and having the options of cars that many enthusiasts woudl just be drooling over really made this a fun title to pick up, then throwing into the mix various routes to explore, a free range mode to have a good look round as well as working out future escape routes was also fun.

But to be honest its fun for a while but after that, you need to take a break. Don't get me wrong, it is a game that occupies you, it will interupt your sleep but if you're just not into racing games it will be one that you quickly tire (or tyre) of. All round solid enough and one I'm dip into every so often but not one that I'll keep glued to the Xbox for.
on 2 June 2013
+ Good graphics
+ Cool cars
+ Quick gameplay
- No split screen
- Difficult to drive: the car is destroyed if you touch a wall, I mean, really, if I wanted a simulator, I'd have get a simulator, not Need For Speed.
- When played with the wireless controller, the car seems react way to slow when steering left/right - thus crashing all the time.