5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a single person
Living in the country, the only way I can have fresh bread without spending a fortune on petrol is to make my own. I've had this breadmaker for a month now, and I've made at least 10 loaves, and every one was perfect. It takes no more than 5 minutes to weigh out the flour and put in all the ingredients (which cost less than 20 pence).

This machine is compact,...
Published on 2 Dec 2012 by T. Burkard

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with the product
Very disappointed with the product , the bread sticks when cooked and difficult to remove as the non-stick pan is poor... This is the 3rd breadmaker I have owned and would not buy again..
Published 5 months ago by Hels

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a single person, 2 Dec 2012
T. Burkard (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lakeland Electric Compact 1lb Loaf Bread Maker Machine Plus Delay Start Function

This machine is compact, well-designed and extremely simple to use.

...Update, 1 Sept 2013--still working just fine. I've baked at least 125 loaves by now, and they've all been fine. A couple of times I've failed to remove the loaf from the machine on time and I've had to contend with a rather thick crust, but that's hardly the fault of the machine. And I can now put a loaf on in about 3 minutes, and buying the yeast in bulk I've got the cost down to under 15 pence a loaf.

...Update, 26 Sept 2014--another year of faultless service, despite my dropping it on a tile floor with hot bread still inside. This bent the base, but I was able to straighten it by putting it over a piece of 2x2 in my workmate and tapping it gently with another block of wood. The teflon wasn't damaged. Although you can still see traces of the creases, it sits perfectly level. Now I'm careful to wrap my fingers (and a tea-towel) around the bail whilst removing a hot loaf from the machine! Also, the paddle was sticking on the shaft, which saved the problem of extracting it from the hot loaf, but made it difficult to remove for proper cleaning. Fortunately, I found a tiny brush that worked a treat for removing the built-up carbon inside the paddle, and now it's fine.

So few things we buy these days are really well-designed, functional and durable that I am more than happy to take the time to update my recommendations. It's a pleasure to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loaf it or leave it, 28 April 2014
This machine is absolutely perfect for 2 people (any more and you would be stretching it a bit). It makes the equivalent of a small half loaf, and give you about 6-8 slices. The machine give you lots of great options when it comes to making the loaf how you would like it. In addition to multiple type of bread settings (basic, wheat, sweet, gluten-free, etc) it also allows you to make just the dough or just bake a pre-made mix (great if your doing something like a quick bread that doesn't require rising time). You are also given the option to do a delayed bake time (up to 13 hour delay), although I find that the bread doesn't rise quite as much once delayed. The machine will also keep your bread warm for up to an hour, but we found it develops a very thick crust and take it out as soon as it finishes. You can also choose how dark you would like the crust (we like it on the light setting).

The beeps which let you know when to add extras (dried fruit, herbs, etc) and 'finished' can be heard on the other side of our flat, which means we don't need to eyeball the clock. They also beep 10 times so if you didn't hear it the first time, you'll hear one of the subsequent 9 beeps.

I have made many loaves using the instructions included in the manual (there is one recipe for each setting) and have followed the pattern to make doughs and loaves from various cookbooks without fail. Make sure you use a nice strong flour, and follow the layering instructions (water, salt, oil, flour, sugar, yeast) and you'll make great bread without fail.

Also, the machine comes with a hook which I eventually figured out how to use. One end is a big open circle, used for lifting the baking container inside, the other side is like a small 'L' and is used to remove the paddle mixer from the removed loaf.

Would highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it Love it Love it...., 22 Aug 2013
This is a nice compact size which fits neatly on my worktop, not taking up too much space. It's about half to two thirds the size of most breadmakers and just right for a one/two person household. I have made standard half white/half brown loaves (once thing I would say though, is use Prog.1. and not 3 as this gives a much better result). The fruit bread is to die for, although again I amended the given recipe slightly, using raisins instead of cranberries and pecans (which I do also intend to try!) and adding a little mixed spice. I have also tried some ready mixes (Morrison's Oat and Linseed is particularly good) which work very well. I am so pleased with it I have been making bread for all and sundry and everybody loves it. In fact one friend loved it so much she bought a machine herself, and several others are considering it and probably will! There is a timer which means you can set it to start overnight and wake up to the delicious smell of baking bread. One of the things I especially like is the little hook thingy with which you can easily remove the paddle (which always stays in the loaf when you remove it from the pan although it's not supposed to). Using this the paddle comes out cleanly leaving a minimal hole. Other bread machines I've had in the past have not included one of these and I've had to gouge it out with a knife, leaving a big hole. If you've been wavering, waver no more - treat yourself - you'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a decent loaf., 9 Jan 2013
In our kitchen, space is precious, so I wanted a compact bread-maker which wouldn't take up too much working surface. Besides, there's only two of us these days, so we don't consume vast quantities of bread.
I followed the recipe for a French loaf as my first attempt, and it exceeded my expectation. It was very crusty, light and tasty, but I didn't expect the mixing/kneading paddle to be buried inside the loaf. Extracting it led to a substantial chunk of the loaf base being pulled away, leaving at least one third of my first effort unfit for crusty cheese and tomato sandwiches. I'm not at all sure how to avoid this problem in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact bread maker, 21 Mar 2013
J. P. Ponder (Penzance cornwall) - See all my reviews
Fantastic item.
We use it every other day .the bread tastes good.
Would recommend for a single person or a couple.

5.0 out of 5 stars lakeland compact breadmaker, 7 Mar 2013
My daughter already has one and it makes excellent bread. Much better than my old one so thats why I sent for this one. Go on get one. So easy so TASTY!

5.0 out of 5 stars My little bread maker., 1 Nov 2013
I love it! As only two in the household it suits our life style. Have made focaccia , basic wholemeal and wholemeal with cheese, partybrot, very nice! I can find no fault with this little bread maker. It was delivered on time, and well packed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a one or two person household., 26 Oct 2013
There are just the two of us in the house and this machine makes exactly the right size of loaf for us to eat before it goes stale. We have used it once or twice a week for the last 10 months and it has proved to be easy to use, reliable and produce high quality bread. The instructions are easy to follow and its small footprint allows it to sit comfortably on one of our kitchen work surfaces without it getting in the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact bread maker, 26 Jan 2014
This machine is a ' Which' best buy and it has not disappointed. Consistently good results using different programs.
The only drawback for me is the beeps are not very loud.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes Good Brown & White Loaves, 22 Nov 2013
Amazon Customer "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is one of the smallest bread makers out on the market at present. However, the trade-off for its small size is that it only makes small (500g) loaves - perfect if you're making bread for you and one other person. It can make quite a lot of diverse types of bread (including gluten-free) as well as cake batter and dough.

The resultant loafs, both white and brown have good crusts and crumb texture. The instructions are rather straight forward and help make this an easy-to-use bread maker. To program and unload is relatively easy. The display is clear and easily readable, so you can easily see how long there is to wait until your bread is ready.

To summarise then a decent compact device, that is quiet in operation, easy to use and easy to clean. The end result should provide you with decent loaves.

Usually dispatched within 4 to 5 days