on 12 May 2013
I wasn't sure about induction charging or how fast the phone would charge. I'm totally sold on this charger and have now invested in a second charger for work and when I'm traveling. Best of all is not having to worry about cables. The power supply is a bit big for my liking but overall I love just having to place the phone on the charging plate and picking it up on the fly! Speed of charging is good as well!
on 13 March 2014
I might be a right dummy, but I didn't understand why this didn't work with my new Nokia Lumia 925... and its because the phone needs a compatible Wireless Charging Shell Case! I'm going to admit that I bought two of these chargers, thinking the first was faulty! How did I not know I needed the shell case??
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 December 2012
So I didn't buy this as such, it came free with the Nokia Lumia 920 that I purchased from phones4u - definitely a great freebie but it's more than that.

Just placing the phone (either the 820 or 920) on to the Plate will charge your phone so it definitely does its job. I find it works best if the device is in the middle (rather than off centre) as this results in a more consistent rate of charge and less interference. In fact, after 6 months or so of use it is a bit frustrating that the phone will beep continuously if it is slightly off centre.

I would estimate, and it is just an estimate, that this charges my phone at a rate of about 75% of the speed it charges when plugged straight into the mains, so you don't sacrifice much at all for the practicality and convenience that comes with using it.

Of course you can't really use the phone while its charging, so in that respect its less handy than a standard wire, but that aside, which is really only an issue when the phone is completely drained of power, the convenience is really impressive.

The elephant in the room, the drawback, the downside, it does need addressing....it's sort of wireless charging but of course you have to plug in the charger itself. However, being able to leave it on the side or on the desk and the 'pick up, put down' nature of topping up the phone is really incredibly useful. I imagine that this will be the way we go in the future; a wireless charger in every room. Until then, this really is very impressive and a good first step.
on 9 April 2013
Perfect for charging my Nokia Lumia, easy to use and very nice design. Use it very often and it comes in very handy.
on 24 February 2013
useful item for charging mobile, easy to use and it works through my mobile cover I bought also through amazon
on 11 March 2013
If you are wondering whether to buy a Nokia phone - this could tip the balance. Keep this plate plugged in and simply park the phone on it when not in use and it is always charged up ready to go. Today's smart phones are battery hungry so the convenience of this cannot be over-stated.
on 21 February 2014
I've got the matching Nokia Lumia yellow 920 for this, it was an obvious purchase to use one of the phone's big advertised features. First thing to note is that yes, this tech works, you can charge your phone wirelessly by resting it on the top and showing it off gets the typical "that's awesome!" response.

The pro points of this product are all pretty obvious in the title and page description. It's somewhat unreliable and relies, I believe, on both parts phone and charger being completely clean. This may sound obvious or for-the-course when reading this review, but in practice keeping the back of your phone skin-free in order for this product to work can get annoying long-term. When it doesn't work due to this, the phone repeatedly unconnects from the charger, you'll leave it for 20 minutes, come back and it won't have charged more than 5%. When the connection is clean however, you can charge the full battery in 1-2 hours with this charger. I have no idea how this works through a case, so far I don't use one on my phone.

When your phone dies to 0% battery, it takes longer to charge to a bootable level again than with the wired chargers. I once sat outside a flat waiting for 25 minutes for the phone to charge with this charger so I could call someone to let me in after a night out. That was frustrating.

The second clear downside is the ease with which you can knock the phone off when moving around. I'd suggest considering paying more for the stand-up charger which is available in only black and white, before you buy this, for a massive improvement on quality of life. It's still a decent product, but it can be a bit (read: really) annoying at times.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2015
I initially bought this for my Nokia Lumia 1520. And it worked fine with that. Just place it on the plate and that’s it! The charge indicator appeared and the phone started charging.
This charger uses the QI standard. And it worked perfectly fine. It should be noted though. As you would probably expect, it does not charge as quick as physically plugging in a cable. But I got into the habit of placing the phone on the plate every night and then in the morning. The phone would be fully charged. No problems. I subsequently sold the Nokia phone and purchased a Note 4. And with that I also purchased the wireless charging case. This also worked perfectly fine with this plate as it also uses the QI standard.
A couple of things to note, this does not use the standard micro USB cable to power it. It uses a small proprietary Nokia cable (The really thin one used on the old Nokia Brick’s). But the cable does feel sturdy and you do get a reasonable amount of length in the cable.
Also not often, but it has happened a few times. I have woken up in the morning to realise that the phone has not charged at all. I had not aligned the phone up properly for the phone to charge, or I had knocked it off the charger in the middle of the night. Not really an issue on Nokia’s behalf, there is a little light on the plate that appears when the phone is charging. But as long as you place the phone on charge in a place where it will not get knocked off, this shouldn't be an issue.
on 12 September 2013
I wondered how good/fast these induction type chargers would be. Result. Absolutely excellent. The Lumias charge from flat in a little over 2 hours if you use a Nokia USB charger. This is about 30mins longer. Not bad. Very handy, as you can pick them up and down and not put wear on the USB socket. Both our phones have either soft plastic or leather wallet style covers - this is no issue, they pick up and charge straight away through the covers. Excellent product combined with phones.
The Windows Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 are superb phones too.
on 4 October 2015
Can't beat just popping your phone down on your bedside table to charge it instead of waking the good lady up when you've come home from the pub, switching the light on, fiddling with the cable, dropping the phone three times, swearing profusely, dropping the phone again, giving up, running out of charge halfway through a conversation the following day with the good lady glaring at you through red rimmed eyes that didn't see any sleep because of some drunken buffoon trying to charge his phone with the cats tail at 3am.