Colour Name: Version AChange

on 27 March 2013
This docking station is ideal if you have some spare internal drives and need the extra capacity. It supports any 2.5" or 3.5" SATA drive, and can also support many IDE drives in the second bay with the aid of an adjustable power connector; however, not all IDE drives will fit (due to the lack of consistent standards among them) so you may need to keep an IDE cable and 4-pin power connector handy just in case. Drive performance over eSATA is excellent, leaving plenty of speed for the integrated card reader and USB 2.0, two-port hub.

This dock also includes a multi-function button that can be used for one-touch backups and/or disk cloning using the included software, however this is Windows only so I was unable to test it. The included English instructions are also largely indecipherable, so I can't comment on the "offline" (standalone, no computer) disk-cloning functionality either.

However, it is important to note that this dock has serious performance and compatibility problems when using USB only; if you do not have an eSATA port available (or cannot affordably add one) then this dock is not ideal, as drive performance will suffer greatly when the hub and/or card reader are in use (even if devices are simply connected), and there is some kind of major problem with how disks are identified by the dock over USB, resulting in incompatible block sizes if you remove the disk and insert it into another dock or computer.

So, if you have an eSATA port then for the price this dock packs a lot in with both a SATA and IDE dock, and an integrated card reader and two-port USB hub. However, if you only have USB then you will want to look for other, USB only docks for greater compatibility and performance.
on 24 May 2014
Bought item and once delivered excited as to the nice looks etc.
Also by using the slider on the underside which allows the user to adjust the power Molex plug for the ide type drive (which a lot of other buyers seem to have not used or realised is there) and have problems with ie ide bad fit, also quite happy with it.
Now the bad thing....When powered up both lights (red and blue) remained on (static) only one light should be on and the other should flash when hhd is plugged into it. Item was obviously faulty. This was manufactures fault and not Amazon's.
Has a lot of things from China are mass produced so are a lot of faulty goods.
Amazon were really helpful and allowed me to return with no costs to myself for a full refund.
on 20 October 2014
Don't go near this. I was stupid enough to ignore the bad reviews for this item. I tried to get this to work for a week and have finally given up. I'm returning it to Amazon today. The hard drives disconnect at random which have caused data to be lost. The SD card with photos which I plugged in the socket also disconnected at random and made it impossible to copy anything from the SD card to the hard drive. Incidentally the SD card has to be inserted upside-down for some strange reason. I would never trust another of these docking stations, even if this was just a faulty one. I would rather pay a bit more and get something I know I can trust to keep my data safe.
on 23 September 2014
Will not work with Western Digital IDE drives, see[...] and [...]. Since I wanted a USB dock to extract data from 2 WD drives from an old PC with failed power supply this item proved useless. A Dynamode 3.5" External hard disk enclosure I subsequently purchased from Maplins works perfectly with the WD drives.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
What a great idea! A simple device that will give you easy access to "bare" hard disk drives. Before I found this I would have thought I'd have to find some more permanent device to put the disks in ... not something you could just slot disks into like bread into a toaster!

The story behind this is that I wanted to change the hard disk in my Mac laptop from a conventional HDD to a new SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD SATA 600). Physically swapping the disk was not difficult for me; however, transferring the data to the new disk so I could carry on seamlessly was the question. I thought about how I could get my data copied to the new disk before the swap and on searching found this cheap and excellent solution.

Precisely what I did was:

- make a Time Machine backup on a USB HDD and leave this attached
- attached the docking station with the new SSD and initialise the SSD
- restart the Mac holding down Option-R (to boot off the recovery partition)
- choose the option to restore from the TM backup but being careful to choose the SSD as the target and not laptop's HDD!
- leave it for several hours to restore
- do the physical disk swap, restart and I was up and running with an up to date system ...

... well almost. I needed to reactivate Microsoft Office as it detects the disk change but I knew where to find the authorisation string. I also had to re-authenticate with Apple for some services but other than that - no problem. Really good!

This device paid for itself with this single use. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 12 November 2013
It's hard to write an in depth review of this, as it's a fairly simple product, but the highest recommendation I can give to anything is to simply say it works. It allows connection of 2.5 and 3.5 inch hard drives, and the transfer rate is acceptable. The majority of people will probably use this in case of emergency, to recover a hard drive for example, so it may get limited use. As a result, the build quality and transfer rate don't need to be amazing. Most of the time, you're just happy to have recovered the data!

My one and only criticism is that this product does too much. It has too many connections and options, which is the reason for the fairly high price. Most people buying this will only need one of the connection options, so you may be worth searching on Amazon for a dock that does that one job, which will probably be for a cheaper price.
on 23 November 2013
Been using this for a month now with no problems.

Plastic feels cheap and led lights are too bright.

But I didn't buy it for aesthetics, it's been reliable.
on 12 September 2013
Although the product was delivered on time I had mass amounts of problems as after lots of online research found out it was not compatible with Windows 7 and had to return for my money back - should be written in the description about compatibility issues !!!
on 4 February 2015
Item arrived in good condition. Note: it is USB 2 - there are others advertised as USB 2.0-3.0, but these would be dearer. USB2 was fine for copying some old hard drives onto a new backup drive via my PC running Windows 8.1. The IDE slot at the front worked well. Inserted the drive, then switched on at the rear of the unit. The drive was recognised after a few seconds by the PC. I thought the SATA slot at the rear was missing a four-pin power input socket like on the IDE slot, but although the pins were present on the SATA drive itself, they were not needed to power the drive. I have not tested all the other inputs. Just copied files from the old drive and pasted to the new one, then formatted the old drive for security reasons.
on 11 May 2014
Saved me over £100 repairing an old laptop as I just pulled the HD, plugged it into the HDD Dock and use my new laptop to access it, like having two computers in one and extra storage space. Word of advice! Read the manual on the disc rather than the printed one, it's an easier read, also be sure to use a compatible OS or you may not get full function, that said I use the reader on Win8.1. Format on a Vista device etc.