Sri Swami Satchidananda explains the Sutras in a clear and often entertaining way, and in an everyday context which is relevant to the modern world. In many ways some of the explorations are aimed at those new to the spiritual path, or those who have been practicing Asanas for a while and are looking to deepen their practice in a spiritual way. Those who have studied the Sutras before, or who have been following the Yogic path for a time may find some of the explanations superfluous, but there are still many valuable insights and any reader is sure to find this book a refreshing and entertaining read, and enjoy Sri Swami Satchidananda's endearing style- you can almost hear his voice when reading this. When buying the Yoga Sutras for my Dad, I chose this one as I knew he would enjoy the almost musical quality it has.
on 29 March 2005
I have bought a few books on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, this book is by far the best. It is easy to understand and to relate the Sutras to everyday life. It is a book you will refer to again and again.
on 4 January 2009
I was first given this book several years back, but recently, I found a copy in my friend's study. It was a delight to reread the pages again, as Swami Satchidananda's writing is timeless. I gained much from revisiting this old friend, and it is this book that I used as a cross-rerference when I was writing my book, LIVE Patanjali!
on 30 June 1999
Swami Satchidanandaji explains clearly the Sutras by giving practical tips on how to apply them in our own life. The book is full of wisdom and is not meant to read and keep aside, but read and reflect and that too repeatedly. Verily, a treasure for the spiritual aspirants. Personally, studying few stanzas each day and reflecting on them, provides immense peace and upliftment. The original Sanskrit text with meanings also provides an additional benefit for seekers to commit the sutras to memory.
11 comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2015
One of the best, deepest, most interesting and perhaps life changing books I have ever read. It's the kind of book you will want to read many times throughout your life.
I cannot speak to the exact translations as I do not know Sanskrit (the authour does though so I am confident they are accurate), but the analogies and stories used to help illustrate the Sutras were extremely helpful, relatable and encouraging.
For me the Sutras themselves were quite overwhelming when I started to read them, so to compensate I got through the book slowly and at a pace that would allow me to assimilate the information in less of a mind blowing way. Knowing that I would not learn everything on one read through also allows for easier reading. If you have any interest in Yoga then a book on the Sutras should perhaps be on your reading list.
on 15 July 2011
This is one of those "must have" resources for yoga teachers! I use the teachings of Patanjali all the time in my classes. Other great yoga teacher resources include:Yoga Teacher Lesson Plan Kit,Yoga Teacher Business Kit,Quick Yoga Sites and Yoga Studio Business Plan Kit.
on 18 February 2013
This is such a spiritual book
I love this book.
I'm still reading this book now and just can't seem to put it down.
It's packed full of phrases that you can implement in your life.
It's a fantastic read. You can't read this book as a novel, but instead in sectioned chapters as it's written.
on 1 January 2011
This was recommended by my yoga course providers and I continually refer to it. Patanjali is obviously quite deep and I need to persevere with it. This book helps me to do that. It is set out clearly and the commentary is delivered very well.
Recommended for those interested in Patanjali.
on 9 November 2014
Fabulous book for any Yoga teacher and Student alike. Anyone that wants to understand the foundations of Yoga and the mindfulness which goes hand in hand with Yoga will love this.
Patanjali's Sutras as Sri Swami Satchidananda explains are generally just a lot of words that don't make a lot of sense, but when clearly explained (as they are here) start to unravel a wonderful mind.
Patanjali famously laid out the 8 limbs of Yoga (Ash = 8, Tanga =limbs) which are translated and still taught in most types of Yoga today. They're a great set of morals and values to live by.
Some of the Sutras will resonate with you more than others, but a great book nonetheless. I highly recommend it!
on 12 January 2014
well made paperback. wonderful clear information. which was important for me as preparing for a course on the subject. would recommend just for anyone wishing to understand sutras clearly.