on 29 December 2012
So I have been in 2 minds about having an iPad for a while now...
I have an iPhone 4S and I have a 17 inch screen laptop so even though I wanted one I didn't see the point in buying one because my iPhone was just a smaller version anyway. My parents bought me an iPad for Christmas and I was excited to start having a play around.
I have found this incredibly useful for revision for my January exams, not only because of apps such as 'Notability' which is great for compiling my notes, but I am able to get informative apps which help with my learning which you cannot get on a laptop.

My laptop as I said is 17inch and I am not really able to bring it to lectures with me due to its size, but after I purchased the 'Griffin Survivor' case for my iPad it is safe enough for me to not worry about it being in my bag all day. The battery life is way better than my laptop, so much so I did 5 hours solid typing on it and my battery went to about 50%.

So if you were in two minds about whether to get it or not... Don't be. It's not an iPhone.... It's not a laptop... It is the best of both and so very useful!
33 comments288 of 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 December 2012
This is a review of the iPad 4, released just a couple of months ago, and really it should have been called the iPad 3.1 (except Apple doesn't use numbers anymore!). Having used both the iPad 3 and the iPad 4, the graphics are the same (the iPad 3 has a retina display as well) and the overall look is the same (once you upgrade the earlier version to iOS 6, that is).

I understand that the main internal difference is the processor speed, and the most obvious external difference is that the charging port has changed from the 30-pin version to a small Lightning Dock, which means that if you are upgrading from the iPad 3 or earlier, all of your accessories which went through the charger are not unusable.

Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade from the iPad 3, so is it worth upgrading from the iPad 2?

There are some nice additions compared with the iPad 2, but not enough, I think, for someone to upgrade. However, the gorgeous higher-resolution graphics make using this a really nice treat, and worth considering to pay the difference if you are considering the iPad 4 against the slightly cheaper iPad 2.

The video shows what you get in the box - I would suggest buying a screen protector (because even after 10 minutes you could clearly see the residue of fingerprints on the screen) and a case (to protect and enable you to prop it up).

It is surprising to me how much the iPad has been part of my home life. It makes checking emails and internet browsing more...social. You don't need to go to a big machine with a keyboard for casual searching - you can have something closer to a big book.

Secondly, using the iPad for emails is really good. The text is clear, and somehow the pictures seem more vivid, and you can just scroll going up and down with a flick of the finger rather than the organised gestures of the mouse. It may seem like no big difference, but it makes all the word of difference for ease and enjoyment.

I go the Wifi version rather than the 3G version because I am mostly in places which have Wifi (more and more common), but even if I need 3G connectivity, I can tether my iPhone to the iPad. It may cost a few pounds more a month when I use it, but it saves me a hundred pounds now.

I can confirm that both Screen Protector for Apple iPad 2 & 3, Includes Microfibre Cleaning Cloth And Application Card, 6 Pack and TeckNet® New iPad 4, iPad 3 & iPad 2 Premium Folio Leather Case / Cover and Flip Stand With Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature + Screen Protector For New Apple iPad 4th Generation, iPad 3 & iPad 2 - Black both work for the iPad 4. I imagine that most, if not all, accessories for the iPad 2 will work for the iPad 4 (apart from those which use the charger, which won't work), but I can confirm that these work.

The battery life is amazing. I have used it for web surfing for several half hours, but only got down to 85% complete.

Overall, a very good investment, and something that I use every day (if only to read my books from the Kindle app - in colour).
44 comments181 of 194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought one of these for the daughters birthday. As ever with Apple products the build quality of the ipad 4 is exceptional. It feels really good in the hand and there's no change in dimensions from the ipad 3, so it's 186mm x 241mm x 9.4mm and a hefty 652g. Now with the new lightning connector which Apple say is much more robust than the 30 pin. It is reversable via a 30 pin to lightning data connector. . .more money for Apple then!

The hardware of the tablet has been well upgraded. The new processor, the A6X is a dual-core processor with quad-core graphics which is supposedly twice as fast as the A5 chip found in the iPad 3 with twice the graphics performance. It certainly feels fast and looks amazing as things seem much more smoother/flow better.

Screen wise the 9.7inch ipad 4 looks fantastic and in my opinion cannot be faulted at all. Streaming video/movies and digital photographs look spot on folks and as sharp as you can get.

Camera wise it's still the same 5mp iSight camera found on the iPad 3. A useful camera if you don't mind using the iPad for taking photographs. The handy addition of a back illuminated sensor will help taking pics in low light conditions. More useful is the front facing camera which is now a 1.2mp FaceTime HD effort, capturing up to 720p video footage. Giving great quality pictures with much improved Skype and FaceTime calls if that's your thing!

Apple have also upgraded the wifi capabilities of the ipad 4 giving faster connectivity and download speeds. As the daughter is primarily a web surfer using shopping sites, fakebook, twitter, email, ebay, instagram and the likes, she is very happy. . .at last! :) Bluetooth and 4G are enabled here too.

It comes pre loaded with iOS 6 including Siri which is also available on the iPad 3. A big change is the switch between Google maps and Apple's own mapping system which has received heavy criticism. Of course there are alternative apps out there or you can use Google maps in Safari. Apple has also done away the Youtube app but again this is available via the web browser.

Battery life is great. After a full charge and a 24 hours of heavy usage it just needs recharging once again!

I cannot justifiably fault the ipad 4

After 'trying it out and making sure it works' so she said. . .the ipad 4 is safely hidden away until her birthday. I'm going to put a leapfrog or vtech thing in the box as a bit of a joke. I'm mean like that ;)

Highly Recommended.

Brilliant tool which has all information at the touch of a button. Unfortunately because of my fascination with the iPad 4 I have not done much work this afternoon!
on 25 July 2013
Compared to the orignal iPAD it is a lot quicker and sharper. The new charger is a bit of a pain as you cant use other adaptors but it does seem to charge a lot quicker and (although I'm sure this wont last) the battery life is much better than the previous iPAD
on 26 February 2013
Very impressed. I had debated whether I should get an iPad. But the iPad 4 is excellent. Great screen resolution and so easy to use.
on 24 February 2013
being 77 years old i didnt know if i could cope with this apple ipad.ive had it for 4days and i find it quite easy to set up and use.highly pleased.
0Comment30 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2013
The screen is incredibly clear, the battery life is excellent and it is simple to use. I would highly recommend.
0Comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2013
Fantastic iPad. The screen is fabulous and its all set up for you. Anybody could use it. I couldn't believe how easy it was to use. I would recommend this to everyone.
on 29 July 2013
The wife loves it and won't put it down. Ease of use, everything is at her fingertips, no tech knowledge required.