4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative
Published 22 months ago by Kew

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Awful.
If you are looking for a book about living in Cyprus and the associated caveats then this isn't it.

Published 12 months ago by ACH

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Living In The Real Cyprus (Kindle Edition)
This book has been written as a guide to anyone who is thinking of living in Cyprus, to point out the pros and cons, and is full of useful advice that would prove invaluable to anyone who is considering this. I'm not considering moving to Cyprus but I still found the book to be fascinating. My husband and I had a holiday in Cyprus just before the country joined the euro zone. The country had made quite an impression on us, good and bad, so I found it very interesting to find out more about areas that we had visited, learn more about the Greek Cypriots and about the effect that the divided country and joining the euro had on their lives.

Although the book is aimed at giving advice to anyone who is thinking of living in Cyprus, either full time or part time, I think that others would find this book interesting. If you enjoy travel books, which I do, you may also enjoy this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Awful., 5 Sep 2013
ACH (Halifax, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living In The Real Cyprus (Kindle Edition)

If you want a rambling memoir about what the author had for lunch and where he went for a walk then you will be well satisfied. Any useful information is well hidden and any points the author makes are done so laboriously. If you can imagine being trapped in a pub by a retired colonel who imagines everybody finds his anecdotes fascinating then you are still nowhere near how dull, tedious and pointless this book is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but I have a sister living out there and ..., 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: Living In The Real Cyprus (Kindle Edition)
Ok but I have a sister living out there and have lived out there , and his account doesn't match up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, warts and all, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Living In The Real Cyprus (Kindle Edition)
Cyprus is a country that has held great attraction for me for a few years. It's close enough to be able to return to my home country of England, where my children live, but far enough from there to promise a warm, sunny climate, inexpensive cost of living, and a relaxed lifestyle. But I didn't actually know anything of the reality of living there, so this book has been invaluable.

It is obvious that the author has a deep affection for the country and its people, and he has many charming anecdotes to tell. But it is not all sunshine and wine in Cyprus, as some of us might think, and this book does an excellent job of alerting potential buyers regarding the possible pitfalls they could encounter, particularly as regards travel to and from the island. Well worth reading for anybody considering moving there. Very informative, covering the good and the bad.

I avoided reading the chapter regarding cruelty to animals.

I'm quite surprised by the negative comments by two other readers, as I didn't find the book either boring or politically biased, just filled with useful information (in my opinion) for anybody considering moving there. Still, horses for courses. Personally I thought it was well-worth a couple of quid.

1.0 out of 5 stars A very biased opinion, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Living In The Real Cyprus (Kindle Edition)
Having started to read this book I very soon realised that the author is either an employee of the Greek Cypriot Government, or he goes around with his head buried in the sand, we know many Cypriots both Greek and Turkish and have spoken to them regarding troubles, and if Vic Heaney had taken the trouble to get to know some Turkish Cypriots he would have discovered they are some of the friendliest people around, also I would strongly suggest he reads the following books "Death of a Friendship" and the "Genocide Files" these are about the Greek Cypriot attempts to commit the genocide of the Turkish I habitants of Cyprus, and it is the Greeks that hold the grudges not the Turks.

4.0 out of 5 stars The spirit of THE REAL CYPRUS lives, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: Living In The Real Cyprus (Kindle Edition)
It's been a while. It's been a while since this book was lived, written, and since I discovered it. The world scene has shifted dramatically since then, and Cyprus was not exempt. Vic Heaney lived in Cyprus in its `golden days' and brings over his heartfelt love for the country and its people.

In the 70s I used to travel to (and in) Cyprus regularly for various reasons and can only confirm the Cypriots' natural generosity, their gentle machism, their total hospitality which is almost oriental in nature and, even though not based on a conscious quid pro quo, you would be expected to show the same to your Cypriot host when he/she travels to your country.

The flora and fauna naturally is still the same, even though the world economics have left no country unscathed; and I would recommend you read Haeney's Cyprus-logue if you wonder where to go on your next holiday to escape for a while. Armed with Heaney's vision, you can rediscover the true Cyprus under the rubble of the crisis fallout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 30 Oct 2013
This is a lovely insight into living in Cyprus, and all the quirky things that happen when you settle in.

The writing style is relaxed and full of anecdotes that are genuine and honest. It is a personal point of view which is just what you want from such a book - it tells the little stories as well as the big ones.

Living In The Real Cyprus