4.0 out of 5 stars Presented in a simple way
Published on 11 July 2010 by Super Drumkit Dominator

1.0 out of 5 stars Grammar of the edit

The Rules of Grammar

Sadly this book does not live up to the high standards of Grammar of the shot.
Published on 14 Aug 2009 by Ms. C. Chapman

4.0 out of 5 stars Presented in a simple way, 11 July 2010
This review is from: Grammar of the Edit (Paperback)
I read this book before I read the Grammar of the shot. I found it very useful and not just for editing either because a lot of the principles were duplicated in the grammar of the shot and relate to both. It is presented in a clear manner (rule #1, rule #2 etc.) that I found refreshing. That's what I was looking for, a list of classical rules (good practise/bad practise etc.) because that kind of thinking is missing from a lot of the text books I've read. That kind of attitude tends to be an old fashioned approach (see also 'The 5 C's of cinematography') but I really appreciate what the old standards were, even though we live in an age where rules are meant to be broken. You've got to know the rules before you can break them.
I'd recommend reading both 'The Grammar of the Edit' and 'The Grammar of the Shot' as two halves of the same book, even though they both contain overlapping information.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is good, 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: Grammar of the Edit (Paperback)
I really liked this book. True the first third is very similar to The Grammar of the shot (I own them both) but I just completed my first ever self shoot edit on a tea shop in Vauxhall (Tea house theatre) and this book really helped me make it look good (well the edits anyway). With questions like, what would the audience like to see next, what should they see next, what can't they see next starts to get a complete beginner like me thinking before even making a cut. A new shot should provide some information, whats the reason to leave that shot, whats the motivation of your new cut/fade/wipe etc, whats the next shot composition, does the next shots camera angle work, think about editing on sound first and then move to the picture..all brilliant information to a beginner like me. It also gets you think of these things when you are actually filming and thats very helpful as well. It also discusses the 5 major edit types, action edit, screen position edit, form edit, concept edit and combined edit and there's more as well. I gave it 4 stars as a third of it repeats grammar of the shot...but i found this book to be more beneficial than grammar of the shot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Grammar of the edit, 14 Aug 2009

The Rules of Grammar

Sadly this book does not live up to the high standards of Grammar of the shot.
It seems to have been written as an afterthought to capitalise on the work of the first title. Most of the illustrations are direct copies so the examples relate to shooting not editing. Buy 'Grammmar of the Shot' but don't bother with Grammar of the Edit, you already own it!

Grammar of the Edit by Roy Thompson