on 24 July 2013
I must admit to being rather disappointed with my first inspection of these dummy eggs. Contrary to the previous two reviews I have no difficulty telling that they're fake. In fact on coming back here I see I should have taken a closer look at the picture and noticed the seam halfway down the egg where two halves are joined. In my case the join is not as pretty as this picture: the halves have been roughly pushed together with an ugly hard glue smear all around the surface, spoiling the smooth eggy look. I'm wary about using anything aggressive (e.g. acetone) to clean the glue off in case it also lifts the colour. So, I'm just hoping that the hens aren't as picky as me - we shall see!

[Edit 10Aug] Most of my chooks seem to have started laying this week, and despite being totally free to range, they do seem to be coming back to use the nest boxes I provided, so mission accomplished! They did throw the fake eggs out of the nest a couple of times, so I guess they maybe smell wrong somehow, however they may still have got the right idea across to the hens.

[Edit 8Sep] The chooks definitely do think of these as eggs. My coop has three nestboxes, I put one of these in each box. Every now and then I'll find that an ersatz egg has been moved to another nestbox! On researching this I discovered that chickens are communal nesting birds, when enough eggs have accumulated from multiple hens some volunteer will sit on them. Sometimes a hen will borrow eggs from neighbouring nests to make their own nest more attractive to the broody volunteer. Each nestbox has a two inch lip, I've love to know how the hen is getting the fake egg from one box to the other!
22 comments1 of 1 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2014
Certainly deterred the chickens from eating the eggs, and encouraged them to lay in the nest boxes rather than randomly in the straw. The only drawback being they are so realistic that they have been mistaken for genuine eggs sold as such!
on 5 September 2013
Bought these dummy eggs and when a neighbour was looking after chickens when we were on holiday he took one of the dummies to his larder! He once even gave half a dozen eggs to his brother-in-law one of which was a dummy!
on 18 November 2014
Items arrived before estimated date, arrived in four days in fact, not sure if they will encourage my ten hens to start laying I only placed them in the nesting boxes today. The eggs do have a join around them but you can clearly see it on the photo and I'm sure the chicks are not intelligent enough to know they are fake.
For the money I cant complain, they feel and look real and believe from what I have read they do work. I think it is the time of year that is stopping the hens from laying properly, not enough daylight. My previous hens laid so many eggs I supplied my neighbours and these ones are still fairly young.
on 2 July 2013
They are so good it is difficult to separate them from the real ones, really good buy, would recommend them to anyone with problems
on 21 August 2013
For chickens who have 'secret' nests around the garden, these serve purpose very well by keeping the birds attracted to the nests.
on 6 May 2013
Excellent eggs. Very authentic and worked a treat. It was difficult to tell from real ones and hens now laying well
on 21 January 2014
The eggs are reasonably realistic, apart from the seam around the middle, which is not very obvious. Unlike another reviewer mine had no extruding glue.
The eggs are a good size and weight, and the 'shell' is hard like a real egg. It remains to be seen whether they will encourage our hens to lay and lay in the nest boxes.
on 23 October 2014
O.K I SUPPOSE BUT THE PHOTOS DON'T SHOW THE JOINT IN THE CENTRE OF THE EGGS. POSTED ONE DAY EARLIER THAN EXPECTED, WHITCH IS GOOD I GUESS. JUST AN IDEA TO GET THE COST OF POSTING DOWN A BIT, WHY NOT HAVE A SMALL RUBBER PLUG IN THE COULOR OF THE EGG SO THE CUSTOMER CAN HAVE THE CHOICE OF FILLING THE EGG WITH SAND OR WATER.
on 27 November 2014
Delivered early but not happy with the poor join around the eggs which could easily have been made a lot neater.
This cannot be seen in the picture so either they were made better or the picture could have been enhanced.
I have been offered a credit however, not worth the hassle of returning.