5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little scanner
I suddenly had the urge to declutter and found this. I decided for the price I couldn't go wrong, even though it wasn't a recognised brand. As others have said the lo resolution should suffice.

Published 21 months ago by thefireflies

3.0 out of 5 stars It okay for a mobile scanner!
Published 16 months ago by cathal

3.0 out of 5 stars It okay for a mobile scanner!, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Mini Skypix Cordless Handheld Scanner 900DPI Resolution - A4 Photo Handy Scan TSN410 Primier
This device is okay. It's neither fantastic or crap. The device reminds me of my days in secondary school using a rolly ruler instead of a T-square at Tech. Drawing. Like the T-Square (aka a normal scanner) you will get the sharpest quality 99% of the time; whereas, the rolly ruler (aka the Mini Skypix Cordless Scanner) you will get a local sharpest less than 50% of the time. How steady is your hand? A shake will blur the image, if you move too slowly you blur the image, if you move too fast you get errors. If the rollers had a built in motor to move at a constant speed, then you’d be onto a winner with this device. Another pain is you don’t know if the image you scanned is good or bad until you connect it to your computer. It is best to take 3-4 scans of the same page to ensure you capture one good image. I bought this device to scan 100’s of old photos. I wouldn't be happy with the quality. Sometimes I scan the photos and they are perfect but a lot of time a shake in my hand, the surface is not smooth, I move my hand a little too slow and the image is blurry and distorted. On a positive, the devive scans text every well and that combined with the OCR software you can scan books and magazines and then edit them on your computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little scanner, 11 July 2013

If scanning close to the top edge of documents, or obscured lumps (ie staples) the rollers may get caught and stop the scan. I would recommend obtaining a larger sheet of clear film or a side opening document wallet, so as to minimise these issues.

Almost 1000 scans done already... Haven't as yet tried the OCR software.

I was a bit of an idiot and didn't read the spec. closely enough and didn't realise it needed a MICRO-SD card. Don't make the same mistake.

Pro:
Small, so can be stored easily in a draw. Price. Can scan way more pages (1 per 10 secs), way more quickly than an HP Officejet I have (1 per minute+). No Pwer leads, runs on Batteries.

Con:
Page edges, staples, etc.. can interfere with scanner rollers, but sort out your set-up and this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful tool, 3 Nov. 2013
S. GRAY - See all my reviews
Pretty easy to use and set up. I hope to use it a lot in the future. It is a tool that I will use more and more as I become more familiar with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant fast accurate almost as good as a scanner from a printer, 28 Oct. 2013
Aijaz Ahmad "aijazahmad" (Seven Kings) - See all my reviews
brilliant simple to use when set excellent images good price at thirty and quick to process only a camera is a lot faster

5.0 out of 5 stars Hand held scanner, 9 Oct. 2013
Mrs. Susan Mciver (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This hand held scanner is wonderfull. Portable, easy to use, space saving. Why clutter the house with a big printer / scanner. When you've got a working printer allready, why bother to get a new printer / scanner. One of my best purchases. Up there with purchasing an ishuffle + downloading all my old tapes / records.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skypix hand scanner, 9 Nov. 2012
I'm in the process of digitising lots of old family records and photos. I was looking for a way of getting a decent image of some very old oil paintings which are too big to fit on a flatbed scanner and being framed canvas pictures could not be taken out and pushed through a large format scanner either. Photographing them was a nightmare even with my Canon EOS which is fairly high spec. Thought I'd give this a try for £49 and was amazed. Took it straight out of the box, popped in some batteries and a memory card and walked up to one of the pictures hanging on my wall. 2 swipes and plugged it into the computer which recognised it immediately. Then put the two scans through a free microsoft photo stitching program called ICE (image composite editor) and there was the whole picture stitched together! The 900 dpi image created captures right down to the brush strokes. Far better then a photo.

Oh. And you can use it to scan stuff out of books etc. too but that you will have known from the description.

Couple of hints: Can be a little tricky to get the scan speed right but you can practise easily enough first. It helps if doing multiple swipes of a large picture to use a straight edge to guide it.

The manual/guide leaflet doesn't match the specification of the scanner I got but I only read that afterwards (I'm a bloke!).

All in all, for £49 its a great bit of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it., 4 Oct. 2013
Makes a great present for the gadget person in your life. The scanner is very easy to use. :) A

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent scanner, 8 April 2013
i love it now i dont have to hold on to all those computer magazines i just scan the pages i wont and store them on my computer would recommend it to any one. quality is great and also got a 4gb card thrown in with it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Copy Cat, 5 Feb. 2014
When my new computer refused to recognise my old scanner I jumped at the chance of owning a mobile snanner. This I could use when out and about looking at written and photographic material. It has worked well and has not disapointed me. After a few test runs it became easy to use and the results can be perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable results, 20 Oct. 2014
DibDab (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Difficult to use, as you are trying to hold a piece of paper whilst drawing the wand over at just the right speed. The results are not great. Should have sent it back, but we thought we could make it work Will be looking for a flatbed scanner, after all.