on 14 December 2012
It's against my nature to adopt or absorb other's opinions to form my own. That's probably why I never find reading about philosophy or religion all that winsome and engaging. However, contrary to a typical book on a religious subject, this one is neither preaching nor persuading rather absolutely invigorating.

"The Islamist Delusion" is an extraordinary blend of factual and historical information, modern science, spiritual concepts associated with religion and author's critical analysis. All presented clearly, accurately, with order and coherence with a mindful opportunity for a reader to determine which emotion to follow. I was fascinated, amazed, astounded, intrigued and wondered at the same time. It won't be wrong if I call this book a "critical abstract" essentially as it is a distillation of the most important components of the religion and the author has appropriately succeeded this task by thoroughly researching and laying down all facts and analysis in a comprehensive but succinct way. He has perfectly composed the ocean in a pearl if you may.

From the title till the end, the reader remains completely engrossed. The author captures the attention right from the start by sharing a little part of his life, a personal letter to his cousin, where he opens up to him and share his journey from agony to relief. You can picture him going through many sleepless nights searching for answers, disappointment and despair in religion and finally the tough decision he had to make to be honest with himself that I can absolutely relate to. As you flip through the pages you go through topics mentioned in Quran, the missing parts, fallacy, discrepancies in religion defined through the references from original sources (Quran and Hadith) as well as the divine challenges and its evaluation with scientific and evolutionary facts. The book has varying emotions and moods but the author has shown impeccable skills by keeping the smooth flow of information going and keeping readers' interest and curiosity alive at the same time.

"Meme" analogy is one of my most favorite parts that I have read over and over again. Somehow it hasn't seized to intrigue me as yet. In the beginning it sounded little complicated but as I continue to read it, I felt he has written too little about it. With every read it left me even more intrigued. Some of my other favorites, since I am unable to pick just one, are, comparison and similarity of religions that has a very descriptive and interesting take, the "fine-Tuning argument," section on "quotations," other details that I would have never known but for this book for example no mention of "Rape" in Quran not even acknowledgement, spin language of Quran with completely different meanings in authentic Arabic dictionaries, confounded interpretations amongst various school of thoughts on a variety of issues including but not limited to, the punishment of apostasy or blasphemy, prohibitions and permissibles, "Pascal's Wager", reward points, famous edicts, appalling surah al-Dajjal and al-Niswan against Quranic challenge and last but not the least, author's personal notes while reading Quran.

This book has proven to be a fresh breath of air with various parts complemented with non-Quranic rhythm such as famous quotations and Omar Khayam's poem give this invigorating publication a slight poetic taste. With each repeated read you will find something new to fascinate yourself along with all the answers without the pain and years of research and suffering. Author's simple language and style puts you at ease with the sensitive subject and stimulates your brain in desiring to more knowledge. If I have to sum it all up in one word I would call it "magnificent."
Thank you Saif.
on 26 November 2012
An honest account of the doubts the author had of Islam which in turn made him study Islam further and in more detail to realize that Islam was just another man made religion.
on 19 January 2015
Saif Rahman has done for the Quran what Dawkins did for the the Bible, i.e., both are shown up for what they are .. primitive claptrap that can’t stand up to serious scrutiny.

I used to be a practising Christian – for much the same reason that Saif Rahman used to be a practising Muslim: we were born into our faiths and brought up to accept them as the true path.

I congratulate Saif on starting to question things in his teenage years. I regret to say that it took me over 70 years to question my beliefs and to re-read parts of the Bible with an adult and questioning mind. It was hard (really hard) to abandon the life-long comfort blanket of religion, but now I am happy to tell anyone I’m an atheist, and I do feel strangely liberated!

People (especially politicians) made all sorts of bland statements about Islam, especially differentiating between "moderate" and "extremist" Muslims. They criticise jihadists for practising a perversion of Islam. But you need some knowledge of what is actually in the Quran and the Hadith before making such statements. In fact, to my mind, the jihadists' beliefs are not that much of a perversion. It's arguable that they are closer to the Quran than the so-called "moderates".

To make a start on a greater understanding of what Islam is all about, this book is essential reading to Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that, I'm sorry to say, because of rather a large number of spelling mistakes (misprints?) or missing words that detracted from the overall sense. For all that, it is informative and educational.
on 27 November 2012
Im an atheist from a Christian heritage. I've been reading books for years that critique the bible and have never come across many authors who are willing to to do the same with Islam.
With this book I've found I don't need any prior knowledge to the Quran to understand it.Its Well written and informative no matter what your background is.
An honest and brave account of one man's journey from religious darkness to human enlightenment.
Highly recomended
on 2 February 2015
This is an excellent resource for people from non-Muslim backgrounds, particularly those who like to argue with religious people and have found themselves at a disadvantage when it comes to Islam! Saif Rahman addresses many of the arguments for the existence of God and the moral virtue of Islamic texts that are raised by Muslims doing Dawah and which I have previously found it hard to address simply by having read the Qur'an. He summarises and quotes significant texts and ideas in Islam relating to many varied metaphysical moral issues and dispatches them rationally, logically and ethically. If you only read one book about what Muslims commonly believe and why they shouldn't, this is the one to read!
on 28 November 2012
This is an excellent book - a very good summary for the arguments against Islam. Recommended for ex-muslims, current muslims who might want to understand the ex-muslim position and interested non-muslims.
on 10 April 2013
This is a subject we should all be very interested in. It's the "elephant in the room", something that we feel we cannot discuss or be concerned about for fear of being labelled a "racist" or a "bigot", not that Islam is a race, but that matters not to the people that will label you. A little knowledge is not a dangerous thing where this subject is concerned.
on 26 February 2015
This is a very impressively researched book. I was transfixed and read it in a day. The author carefully and methodically references all the ideas in a way that lets it speak for itself. His commentary is also useful and puts the various quotes in context.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Perfect for someone who has very little knowledge and those whose knowledge of Islam is more extensive.
Brilliant! 10/10
on 18 November 2013
Richard Dawkins? I thought to myself, how can one book change so much for a believer like me?

Prior to that I had so many conflicting thoughts, female mutilation, and other modern day topics extended from 1400 years ago, the treatment of non believers, do I allow killing or do I prevent it? (save the life of save the lives of mankind, Talmud).

I felt guilty making mistakes in life, but mistakes are life's great lessons why not learn, religion was created to control the masses, quoting Carl Marx, I think people should make mistakes, questioning religion is one of them the Koran itself encourages you to do it, so I did.
I thought I'd read more into Islam's side or answer to the 'God delusion' and Saif Rahman came across with his book.
However I feel he has a lot more to write, I still cannot hold a debate without Muslim colleagues throwing at me 'the Koran has all the answers' or Christian friends saying the 'Koran is non-canon, Christianity offers you an answer.'

I know I won't follow another religion as Islam supposedly offered everything to me, an answer to mankind, until I challenged it by reading a book, is Islam from the perfect God?

Great minds read alike, thanks to Amazon, now my question is if Dawkins says to keep the bible for literature purposes, do we keep the Koran for some of its literature, morals or what?

Where do we move from here? If a billion plus Muslims eventually give up religion simultaneously, (perhaps due to your Saif Rahman publications), what will happen? Chaos?!

It would be good to work towards a common cause, I with no intent wish to offend anyone from any faith of past or future but please ask yourself what you do believe in does it benefit your fellow human?
on 30 August 2014
This book joins the genre of books that expose the fallacies of Bible-based religions; those books, and I am sure also this book, will change few minds, and will confirm what sensible people already know. However, it is encouraging to see this as a sign that the superstition endemic in our country can be tackled; perhaps! The main difficulty with this book is in the lack of editing - a self-published book? There too many errors of syntax and grammar, and an unfamiliarity with English idioms, which for me undermines its credibility. I also question the translation from the Arabic - is it really necessary to provide the English translation in the language found in the King James Bible? The use of 'thee', 'thou', 'hath', etc lends a spurious credibility to the quotation. Plain English would better expose the silliness of the propositions. I seriously encourage the author to find a good professional editor, who would give this valuable work the authority it deserves.