5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly convincing and gripping. Brilliant
Published 2 months ago by I. J. Davison

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed a 'Filip' !
Well, after all the hype surrounding this movie, it's actually just okay and seems to me as if it cries out to be a 15 and not the 12 that it was chosen to be rated. It's based on fact, so some extra dramatization was, in my view, desperately called for here. Without the obvious talent of Hanks, I would even have dropped this to two stars. It's just not very exciting,...
Published 11 days ago by Anthony Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly convincing and gripping. Brilliant, 24 Jan 2014
I. J. Davison "ianheadland" (Lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
It is not often that I am gripped and on the edge of my seat with the content of a film but this proved that some films can still do this for me. As a son of an engineering officer I spent many times aboard ship, container ships particularly. This film showed the sheer realism of life aboard ship and the dangers, and for once we have a film set on board a ship that shows this realism correctly. The suspense will have you on the edge of your seat throughout the film, building gently and ultimately to a thrilling crescendo. The ending is handled skillfuly and the mixture of raw emotions is heartrending.
Tom Hanks proves yet again what a wonderful character actor he is.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent action packed film., 3 Mar 2014
Can't praise this film to highly.Its action packed and another super performance from Tom Hanks, especially the final scenes.Equally..the performances of the Somali pirates were thought provoking.

4.0 out of 5 stars A true story that is believable., 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Captain Phillips (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2013] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Tom Hanks gives an excellent performance as the captain of a container boat who has to go through the famous area off the coast of Somalia riddled with pirates.
This is an incredible ride of a film from the pirates managing to get on board to them capturing the Captain and trying to escape.
The actors are extremely believable and deserve the plaudits for their parts in this film. The story does not appear 'hollywoodised' in that everything isnt blown out of all realms of plausibility and flows along in a manner that keeps you on the edge of the seat wondering how everything is going to unfold.
As an aside, it was nice to see a small part from the Somalians point of view and does not attempt to demonise them.

Finally a film that isn't a rehash/remake as so many seem to be recently.
Kudos to all involved. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class!, 2 Mar 2014
J. Rixon - See all my reviews
Brilliant, tense and human film. Fantastic performances by all, and an interesting back-story on the pirates, illustrating that very little in this world is black and white! This has to be Tom Hanks' best performance to date, and I doubt many viewers will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain Phillips, 1 Mar 2014
Compelling drama,very realistic. Great acting. Out of the ordinary. I like Tom Hanks always puts in a convincing performance, the Somalian actor was very good as was is associAted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain Phillips., 20 Feb 2014
What a DVD! Absolutely brilliant. Based on a true story, it had me by the seat of my pants. Excellent acting and Tom Hanks was quite something, particularly his acting at the end of the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, 16 Feb 2014
Tom Hanks at his best - wonderful frightening true storey, keeps you on the edge of your seat - well worth watching.recommend you try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping experience, 16 Feb 2014
Acting superb. Hanks at his best. American forces - Seals- wonderfully filmed. Has you on the edge of your seat.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant film, 13 Feb 2014
R. Suitters (Kent; england) - See all my reviews
This is a stunning film; based on a true story, acting top quality, 100% gripping. I felt this film puts one on the spot, what would I be like in this situation? One really has to admire the captain for his courage and his calculating nature. I could not believe, at the end of the film, how cold they were to him after all what he had been through.
please go and buy this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain Phillips, 10 Feb 2014
So glad I pre-ordered this DVD. I watched it at the cinema when it came out and wasn't really that interested before it started, I just went because my boyfriend wanted to go. But once the film I had started I was hooked. the tension is fabulous throughout, your heart is constantly pounding in fright for the captain and his crew. The story is amazing and very accurate (when compared to captain Phillip's book about the incident) and Tom Hank's performance is just unbeatable. No one could have done it better. Please buy this film, you will not regret it.

ARRAY(0xaa82eb88)