4.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed the film
After having read many negative reviews I almost kept scrolling down looking for something else to watch. However, I decided to watch the trailer and it got my attention. Actually, I love the film and I enjoyed the acting (Jaden's) that has been criticised by some viewers.
I agree it may feel like Will is trying hard to make his son to be a great actor. At the same...
Published 1 month ago by Raphael Zernoff

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd rather stick pins in my eyes...
Published 14 months ago by David P

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd rather stick pins in my eyes..., 8 May 2014
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: After Earth [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
... than have to watch this again. The story is banal and contrived. The acting from Jaden Smith is of the calibre that would receive rave reviews, rightly so, in a school play, but in a blockbuster film, no thanks. The look and feel of the technology and their ships is very organic, it feels as though it is the aliens that should have this stuff, not us. The typically overdone American schmaltz makes you want to throw up. It is boring, and therefore by implication much too long. In fact it is pointless saying it is too long, it just should never have been made.

There are all kinds of silly holes in the plot that others have raised too, such as how can a steamy jungle freeze overnight and survive, or why has the atmosphere become so toxic to humans but apparently supports other primates just fine? And what would be the point of engineering a species that can only detect other creatures by sensing their fear? Wouldn't do it much good when coming up against anything that predated on it, and therefore wouldn't be scared of it, would it? Just imagine, if only they had given them eyes too, the entire silly premise for this ridiculous story would have been toast.

I can just see Will Smith having a lot of clout pushing to get this through, starring him and his offspring - I can't think of any other reason for how on earth it ever made it past the first pitch of the concept.

So glad I caught this on satellite before I might have bought it. Save your money, it's dire.

1.0 out of 5 stars Atrocious Science Fiction, 16 July 2013
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: After Earth [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
General Cypher Raige (Will Smith - I, Robot) is one of the first 'ghosts' - men trained not to fear the abominable beasts that have been bred to detect and hunt human fear. They strike terror into most Rangers [read: Soldiers] and so consequently demolish armies; without ghosts there would be no survival. Kitai Raige (Jaden Smith - The Karate Kid [2010]) is his son, training for the Rangers but not quite at the level where he can control his emotion. In need of some Father & Son bonding, Cypher takes Kitai on a training exercise that goes awry and forces them to crash-land on the original, abandoned & quarantined Earth. With the ship destroyed and Cypher mortally wounded, it is up to Kitai to activate the beacon to get them rescued. Can he control his emotions? Time will tell...

After Earth is a shocking film to include some big names on both the production (M. Night Shyamalan) and the front-of-house (Smith) - the CGI is shoddy at points, the scenery is nonsensical, the geology positively laughable; the whole planet freezes at night, yet despite this point during the day is a lush, steamy tropical jungle. I know what you are thinking; "it's a film, that's the idea" but it's paradoxical in its own canon to the point where you just don't care any more. There are troops of howler monkeys that have exactly the same biology as us (98% dontcha know) yet Kitai has to use some sort of breathing fluid to breathe Earth's air where they are fine - a plot-hinging point. Apparently, everything has evolved to eat & hunt humans yet there have been none left on the planet for some 1,000 years according to the wafer-thin preamble that sets the film up. It just doesn't hang together, I appreciate films introduce fiction as that is often where the story comes from, but this was actively proving itself wrong, and that's OK in some genres but Sci-Fi fanboys like to get all up in a fictional universe and this was just phoned-in.

Jaden Smith is just too young to hold the 1hr40mins bit, his emotional range is laughable as his pubescent voice wavers from a gruff baritone ranger ("Yes Sir!!") to a squealing soprano during his rage-out about halfway in. His voice is evidently breaking, that's fine, we all went through it we won't judge for that but then why is he the lead? Bearing in mind the hugely talented Will sits in a chair and has about six lines, during which his role is to play an emotionless robot. He even grimace hugs his wife and son - it hardly inspires compassion and contains literally zero character development. It's almost as if Will went "Here son, I'll let you take this one" in some sort of familial charity case.

There is a digital copy of the film included with this disc - with Ultraviolet codings (UV is a digital locker for your media, you have to register an account and upload your unique product code, but then you can stream it or download it anywhere on the planet on any medium).

I apologise for whinging at length in far too much detail, but I just wanted to point out that this will be a headache for anyone who actually appreciates Sci-Fi and most definitely not worthy of anyone's money. Extremely disappointing for Will Smith and a non-starter for Jaden. Avoid.

2.0 out of 5 stars AFTER EARTH, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: After Earth [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
After Earth was a bit disappointing. The family gathered around to watch this but it was only of two people mainly and the story line was a little boring,sorry not for us.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will was really rubbish, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: After Earth [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I like Will smith and have enjoyed most of his movies, but not this one!
The plot was not believable (even for an avid SF buff like me) and the dialogue was weak.
However the worse part was the terrible acting - Will even worse than his son.

1.0 out of 5 stars WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST WATCH ARRRRRHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 7 Sept. 2013
Thank you very much will smith for lying to millions of people by promoting this load of vomit by saying it is an amazing adventure film...I believed you and went to see the film at the pictures.............what a waste of time,money,life. Has to be the worst film i have ever seen, and i am not joking. shame on you smith and your untalented son.
I feel so much better now that i let that out.....and relax.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as good as the hype made it out to be, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: After Earth [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I expected more from this film, it looked great on the trailers but is really disappointing in the end, I wish I hadn't paid so much for it as I felt a bit cheated so much is unexplained and you have to try to guess what is going on, I have seen much better films that didn't have so much on screen hype, it is technically good in places but the plot is a bit thin.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!, 25 Nov. 2013
Ok I'm very pleased I only rented this film , I could give it 1 star but that's a little mean so I gave it an extra star as I did finish watching it till the end.

The story is dull its just so boring which makes be wonder how I did watch it all.

Don't waste your hard earned money on this , instead rent it like I did and you will be pleased you did only rent it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 3 July 2013
J. Kirby (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Firstly I apologise to people who think that "reviews" should only be for the actual product you have in your hand (i.e. the blu-ray disc) as it has not been released yet, but having seen this travesty at the cinema, the most imaculate transfer ever will not save this film. I am trying to save potential purchasers the heartache of wasting around £18.00 and 1 hour 40 minutes of their life, in my case, time I will never get back.

I love sci-fi films, I generally like Will Smith, but even this could not prepare me for the bad acting by both "Smith's" and the general feeling of boredom I felt while watching this film. This is no "Men in Black" 1, 3 or even 2!

The reason Earth was abandoned and general scene setting was over quicker than a bolt of lightning, the character building was virtually non-existent and tedious. While there are special effects, post Avatar and Star Trek : Into Darkness, they are extremely poor and fairly shortlived.

Much of the film is a sort of Predator for kids in that the bulk of the film is Jaden (Smith Junior) running through a jungle trying to avoid an escaped alien they brought with them on their spaceship which crashed on the long ago abandoned planet of Earth. With Predator however you really did fear the alien and care about the humans, in this film, I did start to wonder if humanity would have been better off dying on Earth all those years ago. At least they wouldn't be able to make films as bad as this in the future!

It could have been a good film given the huge budget and a decent actor however this is Will Smith at his worst supported by, what could easily prove to be Jaden's final film (lets hope so). I would suggest buying Star Trek if you like Sci-fi and want to pre-order a great Sci-fi Blu-ray. This one will be in the bargain bins shortly and personally I won't even be watching it on Freeview.

UPDATE 13.02.15.
Just in case you thought I was exaggerating. This is on today's Yahoo page :
Will Smith has opened up about "After Earth," the 2013 sci-fi film in which his son Jaden Smith also starred, calling it the "most painful failure" of his career.

3.0 out of 5 stars FREE OF FEAR, 8 Jun. 2013
This review is from: After Earth [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This is a rather disappointing science fiction film. The movie consists mostly of Will and Jaden Smith. Man leaves Earth. Will becomes a hero ranger fighting alien monsters. He can also sense "graviton expansion in the hull." Seriously? After the ship is forced to crash land on a hostile earth, Will, who is more commander than father, is injured and must direct his son remotely to retrieve the distress beacon from the tail end of the ship, 100 km. away. I felt I was watching "Starship Troopers" meets "The Bone Collector."

That's pretty much it. The trek had some numerous encounters with danger, but I found myself getting bored. Sorry Jaden.

On the plus side, this science fiction incorporates advances based on discoveries with nano technology. It is the next step in science fiction writing. Jaden's suit could sense a predator and would change color similar to my Nokia Morph concept phone sensing toxins on my apple.

The Asylum knock off had a better plot. 3 stars is generous on a wasted $130 million dollars.

1.0 out of 5 stars the blandest of bland blockbusters, 15 Jun. 2013
Rob Simpson "noframeof" (Middlesbrough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After Earth [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
After the credits had rolled I really wished there was a token M.Night twist, he may have a poor grasp on the things, even so the presence of such a plot device would actually give us something to talk about. After Earth is the blandest of bland blockbusters. The production design is interesting, with simple fibers meeting futuristic HUD's, but that's about all for the positives. Negatives, those are far more plentiful. The story is of no consequence, Jaden Smith is a utter void in the lead role, Will Smith mistakes stern for bored and the CGI feels half finished. But above all that, it's so boring. Making a slender 90 minute run time feel in excess of 2 hours is a gift that no film maker should possess. Still, it's better than M.Night's last few films, there has never been a better definition of the phrase damming with faint praise.

After Earth [DVD] [2013]
After Earth [DVD] [2013] by M. Night Shyamalan (DVD - 2013)