on 12 January 2014
Graham Chapman sensibly recorded for posterity the audiobook version of his autobiography - in which he quoted lots of lines originally spoken by his fellow Pythons. The makers of this animated feature have enhanced Graham's story by employing the voice acting talents of those other Pythons to read their own quoted lines - and they do so brilliantly. No one is more qualified to play Graham Chapman than himself and he does not hold back from revealing the intense and at times shocking truth of his life. The stunning state-of-the-art 3D visuals were created by various teams of graphic artists as a labour of true love - and they proudly showcase what is wonderful about 3D, as much as they celebrate what is wonderful and unique about Graham Chapman. I have never witnessed a more intensely engaging biography - and the fact that it is a "no holds barred" autobiography is an added bonus. We are truly blessed that Graham existed in the first place and that these passionate talented film makers have so lovingly presented his story to us.
on 12 July 2014
This could have been an excellent example of a 3d biographic film, however the quality of the 3d is variable going from fairly good to poor. The various animated styles make the film disjointed and the narrative doesn't quite hold together.
on 6 January 2015
I watched this twice - once in 2D and once in 3D, the second time just to test a 3D program. I hated it the first time, but somehow seeing it in 3D seemed to be what was intended and I suddenly found myself enjoying it. Of course, there's no Eric Idle, it should have been directed by Terry Gilliam and - worst of all - the much funnier Chapman recounting his adventures in the Dangerous Sports Club, among other things - also available in audiobook and entitled "Looks Like Another Brown Trouser Job" - has inexplicably been overlooked. But if you keep an open mind and and your expectations low there is still plenty to glean from this.
on 20 January 2016
As others have said, this isn't a laugh out loud bundle. However, as an affectionate remembrance of Graham Chapman as a comic genius it is absolutely worth a watch, and as a demonstration of the art of animation there is a good deal of interest there too (Terry Gilliam isn't the only one!)
on 10 April 2013
I absolutely love this movie. I just wish we had a 3D telly to fully appreciate the disc's 3d feature - I saw it in the cinema in 3D and it was a wonderful visual experience. As it is, it's still really good in 2D.
The movie is constructed of a series of different animation techniques and some of the sequences are actually rather dark and cover some of the more personal moments in Graham's life. I love the two commentary tracks on the disc and the other bonus features that are included. They are really interesting and fun.
Monty Python might not be there in full numbers, but they've done it again!!
on 17 March 2013
I was really looking forward to this when I first saw it advertised on a social networking site but sadly it really didn't live up to my expectations. It had its moments, animation was superb and voice work by the Surviving Pythons was great. My problem was that it spent less time on Chapman himself and more on his homosexuality. I know Chapman was gay, it really doesn't bother me nor interest me- each to their own- I wanted to know about him, his opinions on Monty Python, religion, society and so on. I just felt that it was gratuitous and unnecessary. If it was made 30 years ago I'd say fairy snuff it might enlighten some uptight folks but not today.
I get that sexuality is a big part of ones makeup but its not what I was looking for with this movie- more Chapman and less who Chapman was sh*gging.
on 11 January 2016
If it is your kind of thing, you will enjoy it, I thought it was very good, less so my wife!
on 1 August 2014
Loved it. Well worth it for any Python fan. The Bluray has a 2D option as well as the 3D.
on 8 May 2013
The idea was original and sympathetic, the result is a rather terrible movie and a waste of your money. Shame on you, Python team!
on 20 May 2013
I love all the Python stuff but this is terrible. Not at all what I expected, we watched first 25 mins then switched off never to be viewed again !!!