5.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than expected
Lets be honest, what I really want is a touch screen convertible laptop/tablet... who doesn't? But look at the prices. I don't want to buy a slow machine just because it's got a touch screen. So I decided to wait for a while, till the prices came down and the Amazon Warehouse Deals started to properly kick in.

Then my net book packed up and died, and I...
Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware screen cracking issue
Fine for what it is at the price if the build quality wasn't so shoddy. Our screen cracked after a few weeks for no reason other than just closing the lid. When i started to investigate it seems that this is known issue but is not recognised by the manufacturer. I wouldn't pay to get it replaced as there was no cause of damage, and I didn't want it happening again, so...
Published 2 months ago by Anck Su Namin

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than expected, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Acer C7 11.6-inch Chromebook (2GB RAM, 320GB HDD) (Personal Computers)

Then my net book packed up and died, and I needed something new, just for six to nine months whilst the machines that I really want came out at a reasonable and affordable price. So I also wanted something cheap, because I didn't intend to use it for long.

So I read up, and this thing had some good reviews and 100gb drive storage for two years thrown in. As I'd been planning to upgrade my cloud storage facilities anyway this was the killer selling point for me. I could offset the cost of the chromebook against what I was going to pay anyway for the drive space!

And I would get to play with a new OS (Yes, I am a sad pathetic nerd)

Then it came. And I was VERY impressed.

The machine itself is well built and reasonably light.

The keyboard took a little bit of getting used to. But I'm touch typing this review now on it, at my normal speed, and in comfort, on my lap in an easy chair whilst watching the telly.

It switches on really fast.

I don't have to muck around with security packages.

They've updated the operating system a couple of times since I bought it. All I had to do was switch the machine off and on, and I was back browsing within the minute. The one downside to this, is that I now get REALLY impatient when my PC upgrades itself.

Talking about the PC. I really like the remote desk top. Works really well.

Content is, of course, king. With this you get a full browser, and the Chrome Web Store Apps are again much easier to download use and then get rid of than Android or PC Installations.

Lets just say that I am a big fan of this machine, and would highly recommend it. I think I will keep using the thing for quite a while yet, and I might stick with Chrome for my mobile computing needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little laptop, 24 Nov 2012
I wouldn't normally write a review but as the only other one on here gives the Chromebook one star I felt compelled to add my own experience.
I wanted something small but functional to replace a Windows 7 laptop. I had never had a Chromebook before, but understood the limitations (ie not being able to install Word/Excel etc) and was already a user of gmail and had started to use Google Docs etc. I also liked the idea of fast boot up times, and that there would be no requirement to have virus protection. I've had a Mac Mini as my home computer for years now with no issues ever, so hoped this google OS would provide similar reliability.
So I took the plunge.
I would have gone for the little Samsung (this Acer was not on the market when I first wanted the Chromebook), but the local John Lewis store (who offer 2 year warranties) were out of stock. So I waited until they had more, and then just before they got new stock, I saw this Acer was released. I was swayed by the 320gb hard drive, as the Samsung's is only 16gb. The Acer is slightly slower to boot, but still vastly quicker than a Windows laptop. And the Acer is cheaper than the Samsung. Anyway I went for it, buying it through Amazon, having watched a few early reviews on youtube.
When the Acer arrived, it was a pleasant experience unpacking the Amazon box, then the smaller Acer box. Inside the dinky little computer was found- a kind of gunmetal grey colour. I remember it just started up when I lifted the screen. I just followed the instructions and logged on to my home network and my gmail account, and I was off. The screen looked bright and clear, 11.6 inches in size, just like the macbook air. I followed some quick training on using the trackpad.
I've found it completely reliable, and very enjoyable to use. I've played around with it a bit, loading Apps- various games etc, and listened to music with Google Play- I had uploaded all my itunes musuc to this free before receipt of the acer using my mac mini. Everything works well. I've used google docs, which saves to my google drive. The only issue so far here is there appears to be no way to zoom in to the document more- so it would fill the small screen better (a search on google showed this may be an issue for many users with no facility to do this). For my needs, I rotated the page the landscape, and increased the font size (returning to portrait and small font only before printing via Google Cloud Print). I note there is a save as .doc option.
Yes a tablet would have been an alternative, but I need to type stuff up for work a fair bit, so I wanted a keyboard.
Also you get 100gb of free space with Google Drive. I didn't see any information on thishow to register for this in my Acer box (but didn't opened the larger guidebook) so just did a google search, then found the google page that then tested I had a suitable device and then my 100gb was granted- easy.
To conclude, I think this is a great little device. I've had no problems ordering stuff online, I've had no freezing etc. It works a treat, boots up super fast, is nice and warm on the lap whilst watching tv, and seems to be everything I was hoping it to be. Though 15 inch laptops can be had for only a little more if you shop around, I did not want to get to know Windows 8, and was never enamoured of Windows 7 either. If I had a spare grand or more, maybe I'd have considered a mac laptop, but as I have a mac mini elsewhere in the house, and mac laptops just seem so expensive, I rather think this £200 Acer is a complete bargain. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good machine, but Oh what a faff trying to print anything!, 20 Jan 2013
I bought this machine for my wife to use, as a replacement for her ailing Compaq laptop.

She's very pleased with it and I, also, am impressed. But, boy, what a lot of squit is written about this Cloud printing nonsense.

I have an HP5560 wireless printer, which took just minutes to set up for use with the aforementioned, but now pretty much useless, Compaq. I also set it up in no time at all to run with my own Toshiba laptop.

But it won't (can't) work with the Chromebook. Oh no, for that I need a Cloud enabled printer, or failing that I can run it through a Windows, Mac or Linux laptop. But what if you haven't got one of those either? (my wifes' one remember, is now bust).

So if she wants to print e-mails etc., unless we go out and buy yet another piece of kit - i.e. a Cloud enabled printer, then it seems she's out of luck.

So, although I have no hesitation in saying that the Chromebook is a good little machine, I would also say think very carefully about buying one if you feel you might want to print anything from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., 30 May 2013
Tried the Samsung Chromebook first (from Amazon), and sent it back the following day, it was terrible (even though most of the press recommended it).

Thought I'd give the Acer C7 Chromebook a try, just for completeness. What a revelation, a completely different experience. The Acer Chromebook is fantastic - fast, quiet and with a beautiful screen. I increased the Ram (to the maximum 4GB), something I do with every machine I own, and it flies along. My wife loves the Acer, she can sit on the sofa drinking tea, and surfing her favourite shopping sites.

Thank you Acer, but most of all thank you Amazon, for having such a great returns policy, without which I probably wouldn't have tried the Acer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Some. Others Will Want to Spend £30 More, 12 Dec 2012
Captain Awesome (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:54 Mins

The included video only serves to show that I have physically had the C7 in my possession.

This will be a long review. For those wanting a short summary, I'll include one at the end.

I've also reviewed the Samsung Chromebook (review here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1TDZZQO7C64R5/) and I mention that because I will be comparing this device to what the Samsung unit offers in every category, so you can make an informed decision.
This review will follow the same format as my Samsung Chromebook review. If you've not read it, you may want to, but it's not necessary.
Though I will obviously be reviewing the Acer C7 here, the obvious question many will have is whether they should buy this or the Samsung Chromebook. Both came out recently and run almost identical software, but the hardware is different.

I've had the Cr-48 (the very first Chromebook, which Google gave out to test the software, a long time ago) for a long time and bought the most recent Samsung Chromebook as it seemed like the first model that was so much better that I wanted to buy it. I was lent the Acer C7 for a limited time to review it, as it came out after the unit that I bought not long ago.

The software

For those unclear, Chrome OS (which the Chromebook runs) is fundamentally different to a Windows, Mac or Linux-based laptop, desktop or netbook. This is because it runs the web. No native applications exist specifically for this machine. There are apps (sometimes referred to as Chrome apps) but they also work in the Chrome browser.
Where this Chromebook differs from the latest Samsung model is that the software that enables things like Netflix (called Native Client) and some of the really great games available for Chrome and the Chrome operating system to work, works right now. The reason why Samsung Chromebook users need to wait is that the Samsung Chromebook uses a different type of processor than other Chromebooks and Native Client needs to be updated to work for it. This Acer model has that available right now, so Netflix works right now.

Because this computer runs what many call 'just a browser' it has several advantages, as well as disadvantages when compared to a Windows machine. I've chosen Windows for most comparisons here as more people typically use Windows than a Mac or Linux machine.

Security

You cannot install Windows applications (or other native software) on Chrome OS. This means that the computer can operate more securely than a Windows machine simply because the computer knows what should be installed. If something is there that shouldn't be there, the computer will erase all local data and install a version of the software that's stored in a secure area. Once you're connected to the internet, you'll be updated to the most recent version of the operating system. As your settings, bookmarks and Chrome applications are stored by Google, they are also restored after the machine is reset and you log in. Typically the operating system is updated every 6 weeks, meaning bugs get fixed pretty quickly (important bug fixes will arrive more quickly) and new features are released quickly, too.

Getting things done

This is where the big problem is for some people; you can't install Microsoft Office, Adobe's Photoshop or other software packages. You're limited to software that's delivered through a website. Most people are perfectly comfortable with using things like Facebook, Twitter and email this way. The web offers some pretty powerful tools, though. For instance, pretty sophisticated image editing software exists on-line, as do audio and video editing tools. Using the massive resources of the internet (typically referred to as 'the cloud') means that video editing and other resource-intensive tasks can be made dramatically quicker than doing it locally. Make no mistake though, if you do need something like Photoshop it's just not possible, unless you use software specifically designed to deliver 'normal' software through the web. Companies like Citrix offer products that can do that, but given the additional cost, it's usually only big businesses that use them.

If you don't need extremely-specialised software though, there's a lot available. Google, Zoho and Microsoft all offer tools that will let you create, open and export documents in popular formats, such as Microsoft Office. There are advantages to this approach, too. Google Docs (as an example) allows individuals to use their on-line document, spreadsheet and presentation software free of charge and, even better, you can collaborate with up to 50 people on the same document, practically in real-time. This sort of thing just isn't typically possible with traditional software. Where it is, it's likely to be clunkier than a web-based tool as a website just lets you login and work.

Calendars, Angry Birds, finance tools (Sage and QuickBooks are available through the browser) are all also available in this way. It's worth checking out if the things you'll want to do are available in this way before ordering a Chromebook.

There are also many off-line capable applications. That is, things that will work without an internet connection. These include Google Documents (editing and viewing) Google Docs spreadsheets (viewing) and things like Google Calendar. Keep in mind though that this is primarily a device for accessing the internet. Without a connection, this device is extremely-limited. Applications delivered through a browser will get more and more capable over time, though.
In this area, the machine has an advantage over the Samsung Chromebook due to its much larger local storage. It has a 320GB hard drive versus a 16GB drive in the most recent Samsung model. More on that later.

Other drawbacks

As I've said, not everything is available through a browser. Critical things that people take for granted either aren't available or are very different on a Chromebook.
It's not possible to watch MKV video files (at the time this was written) for example, without converting them. That's a big pain for some. Printing is different too, as you can't just plugin a printer on Chrome OS and have it work. For those that are curious, Google has a service called Cloud Print, which involves hooking up your printer to the internet. This approach does have an advantage in that you're able to print to your printer from anywhere with an internet connection, either from a mobile device or any installation of Chrome. For those without a printer that can connect to the internet independently of a regular computer, you can enable a normal printer by installing Chrome on a Windows, Mac or Linux machine and running it that way. That does however mean that the host of that printer (the Windows, Mac or Linux computer) would have to be on in order for the printer to print.

Storage

Typically, Chromebooks come with a 16GB hard drive. As noted earlier this is not the case with this machine. It comes with 320GB of local storage (before the operating system is installed - which doesn't take up much) which makes it closer to a typical laptop in that regard. A typical Windows machine will come with a minimum of 500GB and often far more. Acer likely chose to do this with their Chromebook in order to not force users to rely on on-line storage for anything but the absolute essentials, file-wise.

Google Drive is Google's on-line storage service. It stores files from Google Docs and will store pretty much any type of file, too. A key thing is that it integrates with the file system, meaning you can save files directly to your account (Drive can be used on Windows and other computers, as well as Android and iOS devices) and access them from whichever device you're using.
By default, Drive comes with 5GB of storage. This isn't a huge amount, but for free on-line storage it's pretty typical. Many other services actually offer much less. However, if you buy a recent Chrome device (including this model, the latest Samsung and a couple of other units from earlier this year) you get 100GB free for two years, which is very useful given that it can be used across many devices. If after two years you're using more than whatever the normal free allowance is at that point (things do change) and you've not qualified for some other promotion, you'll no longer be able to add new files. Your existing data will be accessible, meaning files will not be deleted.
Another great thing about Drive is that files can be shared with others. Google Docs files are not counted towards your storage.
Again, it's worth noting that other great on-line storage solutions exist, such as Dropbox and Box. The difference of course is that they're not tightly-integrated with the Chromebook.

Hardware (general)

This new Chromebook is running a dual-core Intel Celeron chip, clocked at 1.1GHz. That may sound slow given the demands of a typical Windows machine, but it's very quick because of the low resource use of Chrome OS. This Chromebook boots in around 20 seconds (much faster than a typical Windows laptop) and you can be on-line with your normal tabs open in under a minute with ease.

There a couple of points worth noting here. While the processor in this Chromebook is more powerful than the recent Samsung model, the larger capacity hard drive in this Acer unit is slower. The much smaller capacity hard drives typically found in a Chromebook (called an SSD, or solid state drive - what have no moving parts) are much faster. This means that although the Samsung unit has a slower processor, it boots up faster (around 7 seconds versus 20) and never has one of those 'the computer is thinking' moments, when the drive has to spin and you experience a brief slowdown.
It's important to decide whether more local storage or a machine that boots up more quickly and often feels snappier is more important to you. I'll cover that more later, though.

The keyboard on this unit is not typical of a Chromebook. If you've never experienced another Chromebook keyboard you may be very happy with it, but for me it felt cramped and like Acer was just trying to squeeze too much in. This is because Chromebooks typically have less keys. Several keys are missing (things like page up and down, insert, home and one of the delete keys) and the caps lock key is replaced by a search key.
I've found the changes to the typical Chromebook keyboard well-suited and more comfortable than a Windows keyboard. The reduced number of keys make the keyboard feel spacious and comfortable. The reason the Acer C7 keyboard feels bad to me is that as well as having all those keys that I mentioned being removed, it has the Chrome search key. This means all the keys are smaller than necessary. Again, though, you might be perfectly happy with this. If you have big or average sized hands, you may well prefer the typical Chromebook layout, though.

Aside from my issues with the layout, the C7 keyboard is fairly responsive and I can type on it well enough. I just prefer the keyboard of my Samsung Chromebook. You may prefer this model's keyboard, though. The trackpad is pretty responsive and generally very good. Again, I did prefer the Samsung model's trackpad. However, the difference was very small in this case.

The C7 is extremely responsive due to it needing very few resources to operate. The recent Samsung model will often have problems if you try to have a lot of tabs open. However, the more powerful processor in this machine makes it more able to handle having many tabs open. I feel that the slower hard drive is a shame, but as I've noted, there are benefits to that.

The major problem with this machine is the advertised (depending on source) 3.5 to 4 hours of battery life. I don't use many regular Windows laptops so this may well be the norm, but the Samsung model has around 6.5 to 7 hours of battery life.
Again, I'm comparing every feature that I feel is relevant in order to give you the information you need to decide which is right for you. I have a personal preference, but this is an honest review and if you're in the market for a Chromebook, I feel that you should choose which is right for you. During my usage about 3 to 4 hours seemed right, depending on what the machine was doing. Watching a HD YouTube video at maximum brightness is obviously going to drain the battery far more quickly than editing a document off-line with Wi-Fi turned off and the brightness set to low.

Another comparison I feel relevant is the screen. In this case it really is a personal preference, as there isn't one that I feel is better.
Both this and the Samsung Chromebook have a relatively cheap laptop screen, as you'd expect for the price of the two units. The difference is that this screen is glossy and the model to which I frequently compare it has a matte screen. The difference is that a glossy screen will produce richer, more vibrant colours, but cannot be used in direct sunlight. A matte screen, however doesn't look so nice (and in this comparison, isn't as bright as the C7's screen) but can be used with direct light on the screen. As this is a laptop and laptops are designed to be portable, using it outside is a possibility. On a sunny day, the matte screen would obviously be better. If however you don't plan on using your Chromebook outside and want a brighter screen with better colour reproduction, the C7 is better in this regard.

Other hardware

On this particular unit you'll find three USB 2.0 ports, a VGA port, an ethernet (wired internet connection) port, HDMI out (for outputting the contents of the screen to a television or computer monitor) as well as a Kingstong hardware lock for securing the Chromebook. It also has an SD card reader.
The Samsung model has less options than the C7. It features the following: one USB 2.0 port, one USB 3.0 port, HDMI out and an SD card reader.

External USB hard drives work fine in my experience and many phones are treated properly as mass storage too. However certain devices such as external optical (CD/DVD) drives will not work at all.

Another comparison that might matter to you is weight. Though not much heavier on paper, the Samsung model is noticeably lighter than the C7. Neither are particularly heavy, but I could definitely tell the difference.

Miscellaneous

It should be noted that since Chromebooks are essentially stateless (that is, they have little personal data stored on them) they can be wiped at any time without a problem and you can start over. This also means that they can easily be shared and Chrome devices (a desktop version, called a Chromebox also exists) have something called Guest Mode, which allows a friend to browse the web without accessing your settings or bookmarks and when they're done, their browsing history is automatically deleted. For those with whom you share your Chrome device regularly, you can add them to the list of permanent users.

Which should you buy?

If what you've read about Chromebooks appeals to you and the price difference (around £30 or thereabouts) doesn't seem like a lot, which one is right for you? I would suggest that if you absolutely need as much battery life and portability as possible, the Samsung model would serve you better.
If however, local storage matters to you and the battery life and keyboard aren't really issues to you, this model could serve you well. Netflix being available right now may be important to you too and if that is the case, the C7 is the one to get.

Both are very good devices, as long as you're aware of the limitations of the Chromebook concept and the benefits (security and speed, primarily) and confident that that will work for you.

Summary

Essentially, if you use the web most of the time (this is what most computer users do) or want a second machine that can be used without any technical knowledge for that purpose by others in your household, this is an ideal device. If, however, you like to play a lot of 'real' video games or access specialised software, chances are that a Chromebook isn't for you. That said, this device is cheap enough that you can buy one for the living room or to use while you watch television. Due to the price of this machine, it's most likely to be compared to a low-end Windows machine (which are typically very slow) or a tablet, such as a Nexus 7.

If you want easy web access and don't care at all about typing, I'd suggest a tablet. A good quality tablet can (at the time of this review) be had for £159, including a high definition screen. But if typing and web access matters to you, I'd seriously consider this device or the Samsung model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value, outstanding bit of kit, 1 Jan 2013
SteveINtheUKok "SteveINtheUKok" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Firstly you must be aware of what you are buying, this is a Chromebook, its not a Windows laptop, its not a Macbook, it will NOT run any windows or other OS applications, it is not iOS and it is NOT Android either. Also don't expect to plug in bluetooth adapters or other hardware (except mices and keyboards) and have them work, they likely won't.

Chromebooks pretty much run the Chrome browser that you can download for your bigger desktop computer (PC or Mac) and thats all.

Now that might sound like a major limitation but that is where you would be wrong.

Its amazing what you can do in a web browser window these days, from full on word-processing and spreadsheets, to even graphics editing (Photoshop style) with Chrome Apps such as Pixlr. There is a world of apps out there, go download the Chrome browser and check out the apps and the extensions, all can be used on your Chromebook.

Now, there are those that will whinge that it doesn't play MKV or AVI files, but it does play MP4/M4V files which the majority of the world is now using, its a case of knowing what this machine does and realising that it IS a compromise of price over function.

As far as I am concerned I have a great looking, fast running, no-maintenance, secure, virus-free laptop for a ridiculously low price. I have tons of movies stored on the 320Gb hard drive for when its out of earshot of Wifi, all of my other files are on Google Drive, you get 2 years (YES you heard me right) with 100GB of space...and when that 2 years is up and if you CHOOSE not to pay for Google Drive storage your files DO NOT disappear like some suggest...you just cannot add any MORE to the files you currently have. that seems very fair to me.

Music, load up to 20,000 tracks into Google Music...for free, then play them in the browser, they will also be available then on your iPhone or Android phone via the Google Music apps for those devices.

Gmail, Calendars, Calculator, FTP access, even application development can be done via the browser these days and if that isn't enough, connect to your home desktop using Google Chrome Remote Desktop and use your home PC over the internet, securely and for free.

Whats not to like about this laptop?

Is it for everyone, of course not, nothing in life is, but at this price, with these functions and more, you'd be mad not to.

There are tutorials, on YouTube funnily enough, that show you how to dual boot with Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) if you wanted to run it on this machine, that is due to its hard drive and memory, which can both be expanded unlike most other Chromebooks.

Some people also moan about its 10 second boot up compared to the Samsung range's 6-8 second boot up...erm, thats from a cold boot, machine totally off....I booted it up from cold the first time I got it, once after the updates came through for the machine and since then its never been powered down, doesn't need to. You just close the case, it goes to sleep, open the case, it wakes up.....in less than a second. So boot times are irrelevant unless you want to totally power it down each time, in which case your likely in the less than 1% that will ever do that.

Updates, this machine auto updates, silently, in the background, It can be recovered if anything goes wrong.

If you store your files on Google Drive (like your meant to) and not the hard drive, if you break, loose or have the laptop stolen all you need to do to get back to where you were before it was stolen is log into a new chromebook, it will restore everything because its all stored in the cloud.

Worried about 'the cloud', don't be, its been around for a long time now, gmail is 'the cloud', when did you last loose your gmail emails? Thats right, never. So why worry? If you want to be prudent, back them up on your desktop machine to somewhere else.

Worried about not having internet access, lots of apps will work offline, its likely your smartphone can do wifi tethering, so you might have a wifi hotspot in your pocket right now to use with this machine, so why spend extra on a 3G machine which will need its own account, more money, just use your phone or a local free hotspot.

Heard some bad things about this models keyboard...erm...did these reviewers even USE the laptop, there is not a thing wrong with the keyboard, its almost a copy of every other 'chicklet' style keyboard out there, including this iMac that I am typing on just now, its a great keyboard.

I love it, great laptop, great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Acer Chrome Book does what it says "Its Fast and easy to use", 23 Dec 2012
loneranger (Chesterfield,Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
Acer C7 Chromebook (Gloss Grey)-(11.6 inch, Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Chrome OS) Hello I saw the Chrome Book advertised on the television and thought that sounds like a great product.I went to PC World to have a look at them,but all the staff were intent on selling tablets(the must have thing this year)anyway managed to find someone from the Google stand to demonstrate the Chrome Book to me.The ease of the start-up impressed me with both the Samsung and the Acer performing with great speed. I found that I was more happy with the Acer as I have got their Acer One Net Book,but that was my personal preference at that time.I asked the salesman to demonstrate how fast the Chrome Book started up compared to other laptops and we tried the Acer and the Samsung against two others running on windows 8.The Chrome Books were up and running within 20 seconds but the other took several minutes to start up.The salesman said that this was because of the security that they have have on them (this is something you do not need with the Chrome Book as it is all done at the Google end. I came home and came on the Amazon site and found that They are £6.00 cheaper and with free delivery.I then read the reviews of the Chrome Book and they were very positive,the best being by Captain Awesome.This can be found on the page for the Acer C7 and compares the Acer and the Samsung And was posted on the 12/12/12.This is a very fair and comprehensive review and confirmed that a Chrome Book was for me and that the Acer C7 was the one to go for.I ordered this at around 19.00 hours on the Monday and it was delivered at 15.30 hours on the Wednesday(great service considering the time of year)and it was up and running by 16.00 Hours.The review mentioned all technical aspects of the Chrome Book,but I just wanted something that gets on line fast and at a good price.Both these are important when you get to seventy one so go for this one believe me you will not be disappointed.This is the first time I have ever bothered to post a review, but I think that this is such a great little Laptop and people should not miss out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 14 Mar 2013
Bought this for my wife who couldn't get on with my lap top. At our age [76] it is difficult to pick up new technology. With assistance she is finding it easy to use. I would buy it for myself if it would have been compatible with Skype. It has its own system Talk which we found difficult to install and set up connections. Also as none of our friends or family are set up we would find it limiting. It is very quick in opening and open web pages. Some differences in using - my wife and son have difficulty with right click; I find straight forward[pressing pad with two fingers] I found very neat arrows top right to shift pages forward/back; more convenient then moving the arrow and clicking. It is tied to Google which we don't find a problem as we use few apps. using it for e-mail and web search rather than for gaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Chromebook - great companion device, 20 Dec 2012
Purchased the Acer C7 Chromebook today (not from Amazon, as I wanted to physically see the difference between this and the Samsung 3). Whilst the Samsung looked more impressive and has a faster internal hard drive (SSD as opposed mechanical) for me, the glossy screen of the Acer looked that much sharper, and the keyboard was more "PC-like" than the Samsung (compare both side by side if you can to see what I mean).

I have researched Chromebooks online for awhile, so understand their benefits and shortcomings, but am very surprised just how quick I was up and running with this device. Literally within 10 minutes of plugging in the battery (which lasted a good 4+ hours straight out of the box) the machine was booting, logged in and downloading apps. Almost 5 minutes of that was the first boot/install. If you already have Google's Chrome browser installed on your Windows PC, any apps, extensions and tab settings are already in place the moment you log in. To put in perspective, when I set up a new Windows laptop or desktop (at work), it can take a good few hours in getting programs installed before giving it to a user.

However, I would recommend a Chromebook as a Windows companion device, rather than a direct replacement. For that, you get an almost instant on machine, to surf, social media and email (the majority of tasks for many these days). And, having a desktop PC, you can access every single program and package it has installed by simply running the Chrome Remote Desktop app (as long as your desktop PC is switched on and configured - again, a five minute task). So, while you cannot natively run Photoshop or Word from the Chromebook, if you have those programs installed on your PC, you can run them remotely, wherever you are (with a wifi connection).

For my use, this is a fantastic device which will mean much faster access to emailing and general browsing, without losing access to my existing Windows programs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Acer C7 Chromebook, 21 Feb 2013
It's user-friendly, easy to use, has a very nice interface and is good if all you need is browsing and basic apps.
It'd be nice if they integrated plug-ins for the browser so more videos and games could be played, but that's down to the app store.
The SSD comes in handy as I don't like cloud storage. Apart from the limitations of the OS, it's still good enough for me. I only have one problem.
What I don't like about this product is the battery life; it is very short and I find myself having it on charge even when I'm using it. It states up to 4 hours, but even when fully charged and not much is running it has only lasted me a maximum of 3 hours, and if you're using it quite a bit it only averages 2 and a half hours: this is very disappointing and a bit of a nuisance.

All in all though, I like this product very much, and I recommend it to anyone who wants an alternative to a tablet or something just to browse with. It's not a substitute for a more powerful laptop, but it does its job, and with constant automatic updates, Chrome OS may get even better.

Acer C7 11.6-inch Chromebook (2GB RAM, 320GB HDD)
Used & New from: £112.00