5.0 out of 5 stars Splitting maul's best friend
Published on 24 May 2012 by Mazzer

1.0 out of 5 stars Short life
Short life, bits breaking off after every strike. Sheared in two after little use would not recommend or buy again.
Published on 18 Feb. 2013 by JDA

5.0 out of 5 stars Splitting maul's best friend, 24 May 2012
I already own a Roughneck 8lb splitting maul and this wood grenade is just the right companion to it. What the maul doesn't deal with easily the grenade will. I had several 1.5ft diameter oak rounds that were difficult to break into. This grenade made short shrift of the lot. Just tap it in midway to the circumference and two or three whacks with the blunt end of the maul splits the log with ease. I've never managed a four way split but frankly I didn't need it to. It deals with knotted wood very well too. It's not an alternative to a splitting maul but an adjunct. For quick splits the maul wins but for an accurate split you can't beat the grenade. The combination means you'll deal with anything. Get one! You'll not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roughneck wood grenade, 3 Dec. 2010
This is just brilliant. Accepted that I have been splitting logs with an old axe and a sledgehammer rather than proper splitting wedges - but this is amazing. Tap it into a huge recalcitrant and knotted log and whack hard with sledgehammer 3 or 4 times and log splits. Very much recommended. You do need to be able to swing a sledgehammer though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Short life, 18 Feb. 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars It works - then it broke, 21 Aug. 2014
Baggins (Glos) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Roughneck 65504 Wood Grenade Splitting Wedge (DIY & Tools)
Its heavy and very solid. Been bashing it today and it works a treat - very happy.

Update

Just a week later and I want to split another log and the thing has broken in half. Now I am not a huge bloke, it wasn't being abused and it was only a small softwood log so I am somewhat upset.
Rang Amazon who are sending a replacement, fantastic customer service, but now that I can see into the broken item I can see its just a cheap casting so not as good as I thought/expected.
I don't really think the replacement will last long - I will let you know.

2.0 out of 5 stars A occasional extra for the loggers' toolkit, but not essential, 21 Aug. 2012
Make these grenades one of the last items in your toolkit, not the first.

Some reviews for these grenades overhype them as a magic solution to all your log-splitting woes. The truth is that no single tool will split all logs, and that in most cases there are better tools than this. They do have some limited uses, but some reviewers seem to be making the mistake of trying to use the grenades when other tools would be much better.

I made that mistake at the outset. Thought that the grenade might be an all-purpose tool, but I learnt the hard way that there is a reason most people use an axe.

The reason is simply that the quickest and easiest way to split most logs is with a splitting axe or maul. Modest-sized logs will split easily with one well-aimed blow, and success in using a splitting axe is due more to practice and choice of axe than to strength. On the other hand, the grenade involves bending down to insert it before each cut, and at least two strikes to do what the axe can do in one blow (one positioning strike with a 2lb hammer, followed by a whack with the sledgehammer).

I am neither very strong nor very experienced, but it took only a few hours of practice for me to make reasonable progress splitting logs once I got a decent maul. A 2Kg 80cm maul was slow, but a 3Kg 90cm maul (similar to this Spear & Jackson Maul) much better, and although I'm not very strong, it didn't take long to learn to lift it properly. The main thing is to learn correct posture and to aim effectively, and then the job becomes much easier.

Effective aim is not just about accuracy. It is also about where to aim, and that depends on the log. Logs split better when seasoned, although it's often most convenient to split them while green, both to speed drying and to complete the processing before putting them in the logshed. Hardwood splits more cleanly than softwood, and smaller logs more easily than big ones -- with length being more critical than diameter. Twisted or knotted logs of any size are hard work, no matter what their condition, and are best left aside until you have had some practice.

When using a splitting axe, a novice will often try to aim for the centre of the log. This will work fine with a well-seasoned, un-knotted small log; but the bigger, greener and less straight the log, the less likely that is to be effective. You will find your own limits once you start using an axe, but with practice your will aim improve enough to allow you to choose where to hit it.

If you don't succeed in splitting the log down the centre, try closer to the edge. The heartwood is usually the strongest, but striking near the edge of the log's surface in a radial line (i.e. pointing to the centre) will often allow you to split it. If that doesn't work, trying splitting parallel to the edge, so that the axe blade forms a tangent to one of the rings. That technique only fails on very hard or long logs.

It's rare to find a log that won't split at all with an axe, but it's much more common to find a log which will only partly split. Further blows will usually split the rest of it, but if it's too stringy to split, then hammer in a wedge. That's an ordinary, long wedge, like this one; the grenade won't go in far enough to tear the log apart.

So what's the point of the grenade?

I have found only one use for it: opening the split when a straight wedge won't fit in, or breaking into a knotted log. Those are rare tasks, because I can usually get some sort of a starter split with the maul, and the wedge does the rest. So my grenades stay in the toolshed until I have built up a pile of tough knotted logs, and then I have a short session with it.

After learning to use the maul, I treated myself to a Fiskars X27. It cost over £60 (despite being only US$40 on Amazon.com), but I was persuaded by the fine reviews it gets all over the net, and it was well worth the money. It's beautifully-balanced, so it's easy to aim, and it's much lighter than the maul, so I can work faster and get less tired. I get so much wood split with the X27 that I now tend to discard the few bits of knotted wood that it can't handle ... and the grenades go unused.

So my log-splitting kit now consists of:

* A 3Kg maul
* An old car tyre to stand the logs up in, and stop the split pieces flying off
* A Fiskars X27 Spaltaxt
* Two straight wedges
* A lump hammer and a sledgehammer
* The wood grenades

The grenades are the only non-essential item.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a little gem of a tool - Superb!!, 12 Feb. 2012
R. Jackson (Cotswolds Uk) - See all my reviews
My daughter gave me a £25 Amazon Voucher for Christmas 2011. Normally would have bought DVD's or Computer Gadgets - however with the inclement weather and the fact I had recently opened up a fireplace I hadn't used for years, I decided on cutting and splitting my own firewood/logs. I saw this item advertised in the S******x catalogue and then found it listed on Amazon. Having ordered it, the Splitting Wedge was with me in 3 days. Having now used it, I have found that using it with a sledgehammer, it is an invaluable little tool. Admitedly when you haven't swung a sledgehammer or axe for a few years, it is initially a bit strenuous on the back muscles - however when I think of how the axe used to stick in the logs, in comparison the Wood Grenade Splitting Wedge is much easier to use and much superior.
Can't understand anyone not giving this item a rave review - mind you like other Reviewers I did find it didn't split the logs in "four" as it is advertised to do - but it just means having to split the two halves again to make manageable for putting in the fire.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, 8 Sept. 2010
Colin Bannon - See all my reviews
It looks the business but I still have yet to split a log into four using it. It only splits it in half while i've used it (and I split a lot of wood). I still give this 4 stars as it is so much easier to get started than a normal splitting wedge due to the point.

3.0 out of 5 stars Splits rather than explodes, 13 Nov. 2012
I wasn't expecting anything great after reading the reviews on Amazon, but I thought at the very least it would do the same as a wedge and it wasn't much pricier.

Now that I have split about 300 10" long logs that varied in diameter from 4-12" I can safely say that this does not split either seasoned or green wood into 4 pieces. It does however take one hell of a whack from either a lump hammer or a sledge hammer and will split even the most gnarly chunk of wood without getting stuck. It is easy to start off and it is up to you whether you change hammers for this (I would use a sledge hammer to tap it in if I was going to use that hammer to smash through the log but I use the lump hammer for logs of up to about 8").

I have now invested the time to become proficient at wielding an axe and this is by far the quickest method of splitting logs. Once the muscle memory permits you to hit the same spot repeatedly you'll fly through a pile of logs (as long as their ends are square and the chopping block level). The only thing that holds you up with an axe is gathering the split logs when they fly off. Top tip-affix a tyre to the top of the chopping block to contain the log.

You don’t really need this in your log splitting armoury, but it is not useless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 9 May 2012
Mrs. Frances Mann (England) - See all my reviews
Does just as it is supposed to do. Even I a 60 year old woman can now split logs with no problem

1.0 out of 5 stars Clearly not fit for purpose if it breaks that easily. Presumably defective material or construction, 5 Aug. 2014
HN "Bookworm" (sussex, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roughneck 65504 Wood Grenade Splitting Wedge (DIY & Tools)
Worked really well for an hour and then broke. Clearly not fit for purpose if it breaks that easily. Presumably defective material or construction. I realise that it will that the very nature of the tool is that it will be struck hard but it should be made to withstand such blows. I would warn anyone off this product.