4.0 out of 5 stars God Would Have Mercy...
First off, let’s get real – this is a budget game offered at a budget price. So let’s set our expectations accordingly.

The first time I read about this game I knew that I had to have it – I mean come on, I get to be John Rambo in a video game! Being developed by REEF, and seeing some of the trailers, my expectations were fairly low...
Published 16 months ago by action frampton

1.0 out of 5 stars An Insult to fans, and an insult to gaming
Firstly, as another review on here states that this is 'The best Rambo game out there', I would like to correct that by reminding people that, back in the mists of antiquity (or 1985), Ocean Software made an amazing game to tie in with the release of Rambo, First Blood pt.2. for the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64. In THAT game, you had a free roaming map, freedom to choose...
Published 16 months ago by D. Lloyd

1.0 out of 5 stars absolute rubbish, 24 Feb. 2014
Todger (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rambo: The Video Game (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Whatever you do do not waste your money on this,it sets gaming back years,I played through the first level then packed it in,I wont bother going into detail as this mess do's not deserve it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap!, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Rambo: The Video Game (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This is the worst game ever made period! Do not buy! It is completely crap and soo rubbish! Dont buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTION., 3 Feb. 2015
Mr. I. Howell (N/A) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rambo: The Video Game (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
BEST GAME IVE EVER PLAYED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Jun. 2015
One little happy son

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not great but at least it's a Rambo game!, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Rambo: The Video Game (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'm a big fan of the Rambo movies (the first three anyway) so I couldn't wait for this game to be released. As the trailers started to filter through I did lose my enthusiasm for it and, based on the reviews that followed, I probably wouldn't have bothered buying it. However , it was bought for me as a gift so I thought I'd give it a go.

Initially I thought it was terrible. The character models in the cut scences are rough although the in-game graphics (and some elements of the cut scenes) actually look good. The First Blood chapter is the weakest section of the game in all respects, and I did consider giving up on the game after the the first 30minutes because I didn't like the controls, it was frustrating and the limitations of an on rail shooter (i.e. not being able to move forward or having proper control over the character) really grated. The First Blood section also takes liberties with the source material and has Rambo killing people like a total psyhco which didn't happen in the movie and just felt out of place, as did the gore in the rest of the cut scenes. But, I stuck with the game because I did enjoy visiting the locales from the films and I did get a feel of the Rambo movies when playing the game.

The graphics improve as the game progrssess into Rambo 2 and Rambo 3 (although the character models in cut scenes remain poor) and I thought some sections in the jungles in Rambo 2 and scences in Rambo 3 looked good. The original Rambo music is used at points to good effect although the movie voiceovers need some enhancement. In terms of the story, I liked how it all unfolded.

But let's be clear: this game is incredibly limited and is screaming out to be a third or first person action game and it's hard to let go of that feeling as you play. I'm sure if Reef had the budget they would've gone this route; considering the source material, it would have made for a brilliant game. I still want to see a developer really do justice to the licence and I think a third person shooter/stealth/survival game would be incredible.

The controls in the game are often awkward, the aiming annoying, and playing through exactly the same sequences that run exactly the same way each time you lose a life is frustrating to say the least because progression is just a case of trying to do everything at exactly the right time with virtually no freedom to try anything different The difficulty spike on the final level results in the most frustrating piece of gaming I've ever experienced and it just seemed like a lame attempt to extend the life of the game. There are unlockables and stuff, if that is your thing, but it didn't interest me and I didn't have a clue what was going on with the perks system.

The game has lots of QTE stealth gameplay which, despite being a stifled game mechanic that is not befitting of a 360, is actually utilized as well as I've ever seen it done in a game (although I appreciate that's not saying a lot). Also, once I entered Rambo 2 territory and beyond I found the mixture of stealth QTE and shootemup action pretty engaging. At times the shootemup action was quite meaty and there are a couple of nice touches, like the re-load feature, that add to game's appeal. I also enjoyed the helicopter sections even though the gameplay here doesn't amount to anything more than moving the gunsights to blow things up (pretty much like the rest of the game).

This is not a must have game and I can't promise you won't have early moments of disbelief that an on rails game is on the 360. It's a frustrating game, rough in parts, but if you're a Rambo fan who sticks with it through the first chapter you might have just have some fun and you'll enjoy playing through the movie locations with the Rambo music blasting out. The shame is that this is probably the last Rambo video game we'll ever see so we may never get the chance to play that definitive Rambo game. If I could've given it 2.5 stars I would've but as Amazon only deal in whole stars I'll be generous and give it 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Jan. 2015
Spot on

2.0 out of 5 stars Follows film well, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Rambo: The Video Game (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
The game has its bad points such as the aiming and the lack of ammo ,but it does follow the films really well

Buy but beware as really tough game

5.0 out of 5 stars great game, 29 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Rambo: The Video Game (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Great game, I bought it for my dad and I cant get him off of it lol ha ha ha

4.0 out of 5 stars Rambo the video game, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Rambo: The Video Game (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Good game but lacks full control of character, an arcade type game. Nevertheless, playable and great graphics and follows the Rambo trilogy story.

4.0 out of 5 stars BIt pricey, but its the best Rambo game out there, 22 Feb. 2014
A. Trani - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rambo: The Video Game (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
After hearing the bad previews i finally got this game and was pleasantly surprised

So its a rail shooter which means no freedom to move around, you are taken to a location and its all
about taking cover and firing, and it works well, though the controls need getting used to.

Start in nam, then it follows the movies 1 to 3

The game should be cheaper for what it is, and yes it could have been done so much better, but as its all we got from an excellent franchise, so be happy if you are a fan

The graphics are a mix of good and bad, but you have to treat this as an arcade style shoot em up old school style.

Rambo 4 is not in this game, it just covers the first 3, so I do hope that if all goes well, the next one will be much, much better

Overall all, a guilty pleasure, straight to the point shoot em up

Rambo: The Video Game (Xbox 360)
Rambo: The Video Game (Xbox 360) by Reef Entertainment (Xbox 360)