4.0 out of 5 stars A creepy combination
I do not know how much each contributed to this tale, but father and son have combined well to tell a creepy, unsettling story. They do not waste time with too much backstory and get straight into the meat of it. This leaves the reader to imagine how the church relates to the field, the origin of the item in the clearing, the role of the locals, etc.
I started this...
Published 21 months ago by G. B. Mendham

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad I only paid 99p!
Published 19 months ago by Glynis Margaret Elliott

4.0 out of 5 stars A creepy combination, 27 Oct 2012
G. B. Mendham (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
I started this story late one night and had to force myself to stop so that I could get some sleep before work. The next morning I was reading on through breakfast. Finishing it was the first thing I did on return from work.
I hope that King and Hill do more collaborations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't See The Forest For The Trees, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
Joe Hill, in case you don't already know, is Stephen King's son. He's also a talented writer. Which isn't surprising. Either it's in the genes, or, more likely, Joe Hill grew up with the world's greatest writing teacher at his beck and call. What writer wouldn't benefit from having Stephen King as his live-in editor?

Anyway, In The Tall Grass is a short story co-written by father and son: by teacher and pupil. And it's a good one.

Reminiscent of King's earlier work Children Of The Corn, it's the story of a sister (pregnant) and her twin brother who find themselves in the middle of nowhere, wading into a field of tall grass to save a lost child and his mum. Before long they realise they can't escape the grass. No matter how far they walk in one direction, they don't get any closer to the road or their car. Every time they jump up to look for the road it's either in a different direction or further away. They're stuck.

And the story goes from there.

It's a simple idea, but King and Hill milk it efficiently, constantly cranking up the tension and mystery of the tall grass.

The writing's fluid and engaging, although a couple things niggled at me, especially the references to current-day celebrity gossip and TV shows. King's known to drop in stuff like that, but it's usually a little subtler, or it's something vague such as mentioning Will Smith or Tom Cruise as a star, rather than a specific titbit of time-sensitive relationship-or-TV show gossip. This seemed more of a Hill affectation than anything. And it grated at times. Not a lot, but enough for me to notice it. It also makes the work, by default, anachronistic.

But that's just if I'm looking for flaws.

Other than that, it's an interesting horror story and worth the 99p. Check it out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad I only paid 99p!, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
I have been reading King for many years and always look forward to a new offering but I was disappointed with this. I don't know where but I have read this or something similar before. Not sure if it was Children of the Corn. But the idea wasn't original. For me King has always been a writer who conjures up words which cause your imagination to run riot all on its own. With this story it is just a "slasher type movie" not clever but just blood and gore for the sake of it. Remember IT where just the thought of a clown and balloons could cause you to run a mile. For a short story Mile 81 was far superior.

2.0 out of 5 stars too short, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
Strange even for Stephen King. Didn't seem to be any kind of ending, I felt like I missed the rest of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me the creeps, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Audio CD)
This was a peice of work written by masters of their craft. It was well read, and the story itself had a dark kind of symmetry that was unsettling and definitely gave me a case of the heebejeebies. Lived up to my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen King does it again, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
King has a fantasticl imagination,great characters,with all the twists and turns of a maze.and frightening!!! This story,though short is as usual him at his best

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
A good book but has a really bad finish which is not typical of king. The ending really lets the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars tall grass, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
Could not put it down but then I am a fan off stephen king and this did not disappoint me

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulls you in!, 26 July 2013
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
I always love Stephen King novels and this is no exception. As always it has amazing characters which you really feel for. Quick to the point and in great detail, on the edge of your seat stuff - Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not long enough, 15 July 2013
This review is from: In the Tall Grass (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this short story, but wished it could have been more involved and that Amazon had said how many pages it was as I was looking for a nice long holiday read, but even so, really enjoyed it.