on 5 October 2012
An indispensable little guide to wine that I now refuse to be without! Clear, concise, detailed and full of information without being patronising, this gem of a reference book comes highly recommended (especially the sections on matching wine to food, sparkling wines and the glossary of terms). 5 stars.
on 4 October 2012
I have bought Oz's Pocket Wine Book for many years and I will continue to do so as I am never disappointed. The annual updates are so useful, as well as the indispensable 'best years to buy', new producers are added as well as current information about lesser known regions. I find the vintage charts really useful and rely on them when buying my wine.
on 7 August 2013
I bought this for my Kindle.

It's perfectly reasonable, but to be honest, it is a faff to search for stuff. I know that this sounds daft, given that the Kindle indexes every word in a book, but it just doesn't quite hit the spot.

When I've had previous versions of this (and Hugh Johnson) in book form, I've found them much easier to flick through, and certainly easier to browse when in a wine shop.

So, a good book with a format that I find doesn't really translate well to the Kindle platform. However, on the plus side, the good thing about this is that when I'm travelling overseas, I'll have a pocket wine guide on tap, so to speak, to help me decide whether the wine on offer looks reasonable value.

(A tip though. Open a wine guide, even on a Kindle, in a top notch French restaurant and the maitre d' will probably put a steak knife through it. Or you!)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is not the only annual, pocket wine guide on the market and I have bought others, although I have tended to buy this one since I started to keep wine and buy it by the case. I put my "toe in the water," so to speak, a few years ago and filled a wine rack with no idea about how to keep wine or what I was buying and Oz's guides have been invaluably helpful and informative especially if ordering over the internet where you can take time to refer to it. I'm usually looking for bargains, so the guide is also useful in letting you know what you are not buying - all in all - it helps you make an informed choice. Not quite bedtime reading, but a good guide to refer to all year round.
on 1 July 2013
The problem with the Kindle version is that it is difficult to go to particular sections for reference. For example, If you want to look up, say, 'merlot', there are so many references in the 'Search this book' section of the menu that it takes a while to find exactly what you want, whereas in the book there are headings that are easy to follow on each page. Also, there is, of course, no colour section.
The content of Oz Clarke's book, however, is very comprehensive and informative.
on 20 December 2012
Bought as a present for a wine buff, he declares it indispensable. A touch over the top, but then I don't drink wine so what do i know? It is well priced and well produced - and you need a new one every year as of course the wines change every year. A great present for folk who like good wine at a reasonable price, with the safety of a reliable name behind it.
on 18 January 2013
I did part time work over Christmas in my favourite wine shop, and thought I should buy a good Wine Book. I have always liked Oz Clarke so he was my preference. Very informative and so far has put me in good stead. A good book for those wanting to know more about the wines they drink
on 7 February 2013
The content is ok but the print quality of the copy I received was terrible and makes me not want to thumb through it for information. The print on some of the pages are 'shadowy', making it a real pain.
on 13 April 2013
As a pocket guide, cannot fault contents and layout. Quick to use and informative.
For an 'ol' git' like me, the print is a bit too small.....
on 6 January 2013
I purchased this for my son as part of a Christmnas present and he seems to find it useful. Unfortunately I do not have first hand experience