5.0 out of 5 stars Yahama quality and code free Blu-Ray and DVD.
I have a Yahama A/V Amp which has never failed to impress. So seeing this, which matches the amp, and needing to replace my patched multi region DVD player, it was a no brainer. With the added advantage of being a multi region Blu-Ray player as well. (I've lots of region 1 DVD's).

Published 18 months ago by Bob K

3.0 out of 5 stars multi region blu ray /dvd
a little disappointed with the picture quality and build standard for what it cost . Not what what ive come to expect from yamaha
Published 6 months ago by alan marck

5.0 out of 5 stars Yahama quality and code free Blu-Ray and DVD., 16 Jan 2013
Bob K "Bob" (Europe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 2013 YAMAHA 3D CODEFREE BD-S673 Wi-Fi Blu-Ray Disc Player MultiZone Region Code Free DVD 012345678 PAL/NTSC Blu Ray Zone A/B/C. DivX XviD AVI and MKV Playback and Support. 100~240V 50/60Hz comes with EU & UK plugs (Free HDMi Cable) (Electronics)

Yes, it is a bit expensive but you get what you are paying for, Yamaha quality AND multi-region everything. It is guaranteed to remain so through firmware updates. Not like others I've had. ( I wrecked my PS3 patching it). It has network capability, Wired and Wi-Fi, for NexFlix etc and also automatic firmware updates.

When I ordered this there were only glowing trade, no customer, reviews. After ordering I found some very critical reviews on US Amazon com and I wondered quite what to expect.

The firmware is very recent and I have found no issues whatsoever, it functions perfectly every time. I've made a point of giving it a lot of use before the 30day no quibble refund period runs out. Though to be fair I've not used the Net capability as yet.

Picture and audio quality are exceptional, as expected from Yamaha. Though the remote seems lighter and flimsier than their usual, time will tell.

It has a virtually NO Power standby.

Region code for DVD's is automatic, for Blu-Ray, press one button corresponding to the disc region,(1 for A, 2 for B etc.,)then power up from standby and it's ready. Staying on that region till you need to change.

I've had dealings with Yamaha's UK customer /technical service for the amp and found it to be exceptional.

Very pleased and well satisfied with my purchase of this, so definitely 5 Star.

************** Update *********** Dec/13

It would seem that the Blu-Ray code free mod on this is hardware not software, so how this impacts the Yahama guarantee I am not sure.

Following 3D reproduction problems with some new releases, The Hobbit, Life of Pi, Yamaha released updated firmware to fix the problem. They supplied me with an early firmware update on a USB stick which unfortunately would not apply. Later, when available, nor would the on-line automatic update work.
I contacted the Vendor who responded that they had a fix and after a few days told me to try the on-line update again, this time it updated to the latest firmwars version without hassle. They said that I should contact them direct to avoid problems for future firmware upgrades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Know what you're buying, 9 Nov 2013
Giorgio (Como (CO), Italy) - See all my reviews
Before getting this player, I bought the LG BP620 region free model.
It worked fine... until it did not: after a few weeks it started not recognizing any region at all. I tried reinstalling the enclosed multiregion firmware cd, but it did not work. I had to send it back.

The problem with the majority of region-free players, is that such a feature is obtained via firmware's modification. And that makes for a very volatile (as in not reliable) solution.
In other words, besides not having the possibility of upgrading your firmware (unless with a new version of the region free firmware made available to you by the player's seller), there is always the risk of the player starting to act up (as it happened to me).

This is the reason why, in the end, I opted for the Yamaha BD-S673: in this player the multi-region feature is achieved through a hardware modification. Doing some web searching, I found out that this model allows for a specific chip to be installed on it. You can actually purchase the chip separately and install it yourself, provided you're skilled and equipped for the task. But given the chip's cost I wouldn't advise it (much easier and safer to buy the professionaly modified player).

I'm pretty sure the afore mentioned chip has been installed on this machine. Indirect confirmation is in the fact that - with this model - the same seller did not send any firmware restore cd nor gave any instructions for that matter. That is because you should be able to upgrade the firmware with new genuine releases of the same, without losing the multiregion feature. Anyway, you may always email the seller for tech details before purchasing.

The Yamaha BD-S673 is more expensive than most of the other models, but I believe it is worth the extra cash. The machine has plenty of features, and looks and feels most sturdy (it weighs twice as much as the LG model I first purchased).

p.s. purchased on the Italian Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars In France and needed to Play DVDs from USA, 30 May 2013
Works as described and nice how it can connect to internet for updates and for configuring for to handle the disk type.

I have a 3D Sony 42" LED TV and watched a 3D movie but did not do much for me, but I did not buy if for the 3D feature, which in movie theaters don't do much for me either. I guess that depends on the movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars multi region blu ray /dvd, 13 Jan 2014