5.0 out of 5 stars sweet sweet story
This was great!

I enjoyed Breathe, but this was a more real life story, I so wanted Marcus to find someone special, after Sadie broke his heart, and we only met his little sister a few times, and by throwing into the mix about his father cheating, I didn't see that outcome coming!

I really loved Low, she just turns up, totally cock sure of herself...
Published 23 months ago by Julie Kirby

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, light romance, good sun-lounger read
'Because of Low' is the second in Abbi Glines Young/new adult books set in Sea Breeze. I hadn't read the first one so I guess there are some spoilers in this for the first book but it's pretty much a stand alone story in its own right. It's told from the alternating perspectives of Marcus and Willow (Low)

Marcus is a rich kid with some family problems, he has...
Published 23 months ago by Ceri at Babblings of a Bookworm

4.0 out of 5 stars Drama and romance, 5 Jan. 2014
The last thing Marcus Hardy wanted was to be stuck in his hometown of Sea Breeze. But family crisis calls and he has to be there for his mother and sister as his father rips them apart. He moves in with Cage York, womaniser and head for the pro's with baseball. There is one thing to be said for moving back to Sea Breeze, and that's Cage's best friend. Low is a feisty red head to sleeps over.

Willow Foster has been on the fringe of her own life for far too long. With no real place to call home, she splits her time between her sister's house that was left to her after their mother's death where she babysit's her niece, Larissa, and Cage's apartment. But now Cage has a hot new roommate. She knows Cage will have warned Marcus to stay away from her. But the trouble is, she can't stay away from him.

Both Low and Marcus know enough about the other's family life to know it is far from perfect. But when a shock revelation reveals just how messed up it actually is, it drives the young couple apart. Marcus never imagined having to choose between Low and his family. Low never thought her family could be the cause of so much pain and misery. Now that the truth is out, there is no way to take it back.

I really enjoyed Marcus and Low's story. Whilst it was clear in Breathe that Sadie had no choice in where her heart lay, I couldn't help but feel bad for Marcus. It was lovely to see him moving on and how happy Low made him.

Because of Low was chock full of drama and blistering-hot romance. One to be devoured whole in one sitting.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Stars, 30 July 2013
Having already read and loved The Vincent Boys I was very keen to get stuck into her Sea Breeze series - and I loved it! Really easy to read with loads of romance - just my kind of book.

I love the fact that these books are all set in the same place, with the same characters. As this is the second book in the series (after Breathe - which is publishing later in the year) I was concerned I might be starting off in the wrong place - but I shouldn't have worried. The books can easily be read as standalone stories (yes the characters continue but I don't think it ruins anything).

In this story Marcus meets Low - his roommate's friend - and they instantly have a connection. But with Cage thinking he's going to marry Low (eventually!) it causes a little bit of a problem... But that's not the only problem...

I really loved Cage. That was my first thought. Of course, I loved Marcus too - and think he was a better match for Low. I also like the way the story is told from both Marcus and Low's point of view. There is a good twist in the tale too - although I think readers will see it coming - but it's fun waiting for Marcus and Low to catch up.

Really great fun - I read the next two straight after this one I enjoyed it so much (and them too!) Yes, I think they are a bit predictable (but I mean this in a good way!) There is a certain formula that they follow - but I enjoyed that - knowing what I'm going to get going in. Don't change something that works is what I say!

Can't wait for Breathe (I really want to read Sadie and Jax's story!) - and I'm looking forward to reading more of Abbi Glines books in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, light romance, good sun-lounger read, 29 May 2013

Marcus is a rich kid with some family problems, he has to provide support (emotional, not financial) to his mother and sister because his dad is having an affair, which Marcus is really angry about. His problems are nothing when compared with what Low has to deal with. Her dad is absentee, her mum is dead and has left the house to Low's utterly vile and awful sister Tawny. Tawny has no redeeming features at all, she is a really nasty piece of work and very selfish. The only good thing about Tawny is her young daughter, Larissa, who is precious. When Low babysits for Tawny, Tawny will let her stay the night on the sofa. If it's a day she doesn't need Low to mind Larissa then as far as Tawny is concerned Low can go to the homeless shelter. Rather than go there however, usually Low will share a bed with her (male) friend Cage, who is Marcus's roommate, and the reason that Low and Marcus meet.

Cage is a major man-whore, in a different girl's bed most nights while Willow sleeps in his. The only girl that he appears to actually care for is Willow, he is her oldest friend and he really protects her and drops everything the second she needs him. He says she's the girl he will marry one day but Low isn't interested in Cage that way. He's the only person she has any faith in at all. He was probably my favourite character in a book, I love a faithful friend and he puts Willow as his number one priority at all times.

Willow and Marcus are immediately attracted to each other but she is scared of letting anybody close to her because everybody in her life aside from Cage has let her down or left her, and Marcus is understandably pretty jealous of the whole relationship that she has with Cage.

This book is very easy reading, I sped through it in no time. This would be a pretty good light read to take on holiday or something but I found it a little bit unsatisfying and would have preferred a bit more depth.

I also found that things that happened raised questions for me that were never fully answered, such as ****SPOILER ALERT**** why neither Marcus or Low discussed their family situations with each other at all, what did Marcus's father see in his girlfriend, because he doesn't seem to have much respect for her, why Marcus thinks even for a second that Low is in on any secret of her sister's when they have such a non-existent relationship, why Willow has no friends (although perhaps this is touched on in the first book, I don't know). Marcus wallowed in self-pity a bit much for my taste and both of them were quite jealous but they made a sweet couple, when they finally managed to actually talk to each other rather than just jump to conclusions. ****End of spoiler***

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet sweet story, 26 May 2013
This was great!

I really loved Low, she just turns up, totally cock sure of herself about Cage, Marcus's roommate, not expecting to fall hard for someone. Low had had a real tough life, but Cage was always there for her.

Her sister needed a big slap! she was dreadful. Treated Low as an unpaid babysitter, knowing how Low felt about her niece Larissa.

Low and Marcus start to get to know each other, much to the annoyance of Cage, and with a couple of hitches they start to fall heavily for each other.

Marcus is the glue that keeps his broken family together, dropping everything when his sister calls. Eventually we find out the truth about Larissa, unfortunately Marcus flies off the handle, and does what everyone else does to Low, and leaves her. Although the pair of them are truly heartbroken.

Little Larissa, Low's niece turns out to be Marcus sister, and bridges begin to get built. It was refreshing to see the leading lady take responsibility and even though Marcus fights for her, she eventually realises they both made huge mistakes.

It was absolutely lovely to catch up with Sadie and Jax, nice to see how the other characters were an integral part of the story.

3.0 out of 5 stars I would have preferred 'because of Willow'!, 24 July 2012
In My Honest Opinion (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Firstly, I had a problem with the female character having her lovely name of Willow shortened to Low! I also found it quite odd to keep reading Low and forgetting it was meant as a name!
Secondly, knowing the author has children herself, I found it odd that the baby in this book who we are told 'has just turned one' can sit on her own on a chair (not a highchair), can stand in the doorway of her room after her nap (how did she get out of her cot?!) and has a vast vocabulary for a one year old, putting words together and also having a good memory for a person she doesn't see for quite a few months!
That aside, I enjoyed the story although I never read the first book. Low is a sweet girl who has been hurt a lot in her childhood. Marcus is a nice young chap who cares deeply for his Mother and Sister.
Their relationship and declaration of love seemed to happen quite quickly. There are very few love scenes in the authors books. We never get to see them 'do the deed' as it were. They are quite tame but seeing as they are aimed at Young Adults, I don't have a problem with that.
I was a little disappointed that the 'big reveal' was revealed as a huge clue to readers so early in the book. It would have been better if we found out at the same time as Low and Marcus. SPOILER: When the inevitable 'break up' occurs, we are told two months have passed. I found this unbelievable that not one person connected to Low or Marcus tried to tell Marcus 'the truth'. Instead we are to believe he just let this fester for two months.
However, it's a sweet story and I believe Cage's novel is next. I have read a previews and it looks like a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abbi Glines did it again!, 3 July 2012
Because of Low is the first novel I read by Abbi Glines. I discovered her through my new-found passion for New Adult author Tammara Webber. They happen to be CPs (critique partners), i.e. they review each other early drafts (grrr, I'm jealous). Well, when you see the quality of the `product' delivered by Tammara, it does reflect well on Abbi Glines' standards. So, here I was having downloaded Abbi's Because of Low, her second installment in the Sea Breeze series. For the record, as soon as I was finished with Low, I immediately purchased Breathe (Sea Breeze #1), then The Vincent Boys and The Vincent Brothers.

I'm glad I started with Because of Low as I find it to be a much more accomplished work than Breathe. Don't misunderstand me: The first book in the series is good, but the second one is excellent. While the characters were a bit thin and stereotyped in Breathe (starting with the teen rocker Jax) and the plot slightly flat, Because of Low offers a ride with two truly unforgettable, fleshed-out, multi-faceted people: Willow and Marcus. Abbi Glines knows how to make you fall hard for swoon-worthy bad-boys (Beau Vincent, yummy!yummy!), but Marcus isn't one of them. He is driven by duty, loyalty, family, and fairness. Still, he isn't boring one bit, but utterly falling-in-lovable because he treats people and the girl he loves as a person of worth... As far as Low, she has some similarities with Lana in The Vincent Brothers. She had it tough and suffers of a very low (pun intended) self-esteem. It is truly heart-warming to see her gaining in confidence. What Low lacks in self-esteem, she doesn't lack in self-respect. I think it's important to make the difference here. She's open-minded and always tries and understands Marcus, but, still, she doesn't compromise with who she is and believes in at core.

Now, you're going to say, these two are really cute and likable. Great, so it's easy to make them the main protagonists. Yes, they are good people, but, what I really liked about them, were their flaws. Marcus does some really stupid things. As far as Low, there's the question of her ambiguous relationship with childhood friend, Cage. She relies on him as he's the only person who has cared and supported her. They cling to each other, and she sleeps in his bed when she has nowhere else to go (although nothing has ever happened). I like that very much. Yes, it is screwed-up, but totally realistic. The book shows how their relationship evolves and becomes healthier. But if there's one thing I absolutely loved in this book that's how Low grows out of her dependence for Cage and embraces her own self and trusting Marcus.

So, if the plot twist is predictable and I wasn't entirely convinced by the climax and resolution, I would whole-heartedly recommend to read Because of Low. The good news is that Cage gets his own story soon (31st July 2012) in While It Lasts. Can't wait!

3.0 out of 5 stars Teens will love it, 23 April 2014
3.5 - 4 Stars in my Sky!

I really liked Marcus in Breathe and am glad we get to see his story. Marcus has left Uni because of his complicated family situation and is staying with Cage. One night Willow 'Low' arrives looking for Cage. Marcus is instantly drawn to Low but things get complicated because she's Cage's lifelong best friend and "the girl he's going to marry."

Low relies heavily upon Cage and she seems to be the only thing he cares for, but Marcus is convinced he is better for her and is willing to risk Cage's fury. Low is an interesting mixture of strong and independent yet vulnerable. She has only ever trusted Cage so Marcus has his work cut out convincing her she can trust him.

I did think Marcus and Low were a good fit because they both have terribly complicated family; the situation only gets more complicated (I guessed the twist but it was fun seeing it all unfold)!

I was pleased to see Sadie and Jax back and to meet new secondary characters. What I like about Abbi's writing is how she always manages to interweave her characters together into the different book series seamlessly.

I would have liked to see more of Cage's reaction and to see Marcus having to work harder to redeem himself. I did think Low (like Sadie) was very forgiving and calmer than I would have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light easy read, enjoyable romance, 24 Aug. 2012
An avid reader. - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I found this a light,enjoyable easy summertime romance read. I liked Cage's character and being in his head, it was fun. I like Abbi Glines and her characters that she brings to life, her books are nice to snuggle down with and feel good with.

3.0 out of 5 stars A 3* story, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Because of Low (Sea Breeze Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Marcus Hardy had hoped to enjoy a year away at college while he put the summer he'd rather forget behind him. But instead, he's jerked right back to the coastal town of Sea Breeze, Alabama due to a family crisis. His dear ol' dad found himself a girlfriend only a few years older than Marcus. So now his sister needs help dealing with their mother who is mentally falling apart. The only bright spot to returning is the fascinating red head who sleeps over several times a week. The problem is she's sleeping in bed with his new roommate, Cage York.

This is the second story from the Sea Breeze series, focusing on the characters Marcus and Willow aka Low.

It was a good story and felt this was written to a more mature audience than the first.

I still felt like it was lacking the fizz we see in the later books of the series.

What i did love was the more detailed introduction to the other characters who go on to feature.

Low and Marcus were both very likable characters. And the twist was good too, if slightly predictable.

I rate this 3*

Jade :) xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Abbi Glines book, 1 Sept. 2012
I read this after "Breathe" and absolutely adored it ! I really like Low and her relationship with Cage was very interesting. Marcus is a really nice guy and they both deserve to be happy despite their family problems.
I thought this was much more believable than Breathe and the characters were better developped. On top of that the story was much more enticing and full of interesting twists.

If you liked Breathe, you'll love this. I couldn't get the story out of my head for days !

Because of Low (Sea Breeze Book 2)