A girl who likes receiving pain turns her life into an erotic romance. Elisabeth visits a bondage club in Manhattan with her boyfriend, where equipment but no alcohol is provided, and one night three rich young men are visitors. One of them, Trevor Brooks, takes a turn at beating the girl (her boyfriend is okay with this), and while this doesn't sound to me like the foundation for a relationship, some years later her boyfriend has decided he prefers men and Trevor asks Elisabeth to come and live with him instead. Totally unable to make her own choices, even when standing at a railway station with her bags, the brainwashed girl has to be ordered into giving it a try by her ex.

I find the characters' attitudes hard to believe and what's called first-world problems, and if this is based on real women, I can only hope they are few in number. Elisabeth has been locked in a collar and staying in a house, and even though her ex assures her she is a free woman, she has no idea how to cope. Rather like being a nun and leaving the convent, I thought. Brought up poor in a housing project, the girl doesn't earn her own money and quails at exploring a Westchester estate with bragging-size pool, horses and tennis courts. This is a backwards step of a few generations in terms of women's equality. We presume she has never voted. She considers that her body only looks beautiful with bruises and welts. But then, the handsome Trevor doesn't even offer her refreshments before getting down to what interests him. I was pleased that by contrast, the girl insists that her new lover must wear a condom or else show her blood test results "or I will safeword on you" - like that would stop a man who means to rape you. Trevor isn't after rape as it happens but Elisabeth barely knows him.

Elisabeth asks for money to be given to helping others, and Trevor, who likes tax-deductible charities, agrees. Finally asking her out for a meal, Trevor finds Elisabeth interesting, even though she hasn't held a job, held an opinion or left the house in years. In these stories they never discuss current affairs, so what is left? They have nothing in common. Taking sports lessons makes the girl much fitter, and the staff treat her as a guest, so her natural strength begins to reassert itself and she starts to push for a more equal relationship. At that point I started to like the girl. Then Trevor hands her over to one of his rich friends, to teach her a lesson, and I liked him a lot less.

This adult novel by Shoshanna Evers is thought-provoking and while the surroundings and characters are well described, ENSLAVED does make us wonder whether rich kids would be better in physical, challenging employment (a restaurant kitchen, or contract gardening, say) rather than passing money around the system by making a few phone calls and so developing what horse trainers call stable vices from boredom.
on 3 May 2013
This is more than just BDSM, a story unravels and a love affair begins between Trevor and Elisabeth, Slight complication in the middle when Roman takes Elisabeth into his hands for submissive training, as shes torn between kind, gentle but still masterful Trevor and Hard, sadist Roman, who will she choose to stay with. Elisabeth's problem is shes never known love and only wanted a master to collar her and give her the pain/pleasure she craves for, but she has started to think and feel love and pleasure is possible aswell as the pain. i am so glad this story wasn't just about BDSM, i fell in love with Trevor myself.
on 24 October 2015
At first. Elisabeth seems quite a weak person as she is unable to make a decision without Gregory's input. It stays very safe on the BDSM lifestyle, giving you a glimpse with Elisabeth being a pain lover.

The story is told mainly from Elisabeth's POV, however we do get some from Trevor and a few appearances from Gregory which I don't think was really needed.

The passing of time passes fairly quickly, however sometimes it's hard to realise how fast it has gone.

I really did not feel Elisabeth's struggle to choose between Trevor and Roman and the ending felt a little rushed.

However saying all of the above, I did really enjoy the story and i'm looking forward to Roman getting a HEA.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2013
The story begins with Elisabeth standing at a train station with the man (Gregory) who she has belonged to for 3 years saying goodbye.
Little does she know that Gregory by removing his ownership of her will be the making of a fresh start and happier times ahead.
Once she spends a little time with the extremely hot Trevor and his 2 best friends Elisabeth's life will never be the same again.
The amazingly talented Shoshanna Evers has done it again brought another amazing book to our imagination with characters that grip,hold you tight and take you on there rollercoaster ride of emotions.
Thank you I look forward to the next book.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2014
Book provided by the publisher.

This is a bit slow in the beginning but I'm glad I read it to the end. The writing sometimes didn't flow very well for me and the plot was OK. I liked the characters, especially Roman and I'm looking forward to reading his story. [I was surprised she chose Trevor as Roman did seem to be the better match for her, so I have high expectations for the girl he finally takes
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse