4.0 out of 5 stars Device is Great But......
I wanted something with a large screen because I'm tired of squinting at my 'smartphone' screen and/or thinking the arrow is pointing one way when its actually pointing another. This model has a large enough screen for me to say 'yes' for that particular requirement.

Published 11 months ago by kan f-b

3.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I've expected but..
It's well build. HDTraffic is excellent - which is the main reason I've bought this little device ..but Amazon description is misleading.
Published 9 months ago by Maciek

3.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I've expected but.., 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: TomTom GO LIVE 1005 EU HDT M - 5 Inch Sat Nav with Europe Maps (45 countries) Plus 3 Years Free LIVE Services (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
It does not have 3 years of Live services. It does have 3 years of HD Traffic and only 6months Speed Cameras which costs a 25 a year so think twice. Beacause full Live services costs 50 per year and you can't buy HD Traffic alone.
You can have TomTom GO 5000 for 260 with Livetime HDTraffic..

4.0 out of 5 stars Device is Great But......, 30 Sep 2013

It does take a while to load updates sometimes and I get really irked by the fact that it wont stop asking me if I want to take a different route even after I've said 'no' a bazillion times.

What I really really dislike about this (and I guess this applies to ALL Sat Navs) is the windscreen holder. Why do these companies not just ship the device with BOTH a windscreen and a dashboard holder? Considering how much the average user pays for these devices, I'm sure they can do that instead of trying to squeeze even more money out of us. Everyone knows that those suctions are useless in hot weather. Sometimes they just stop working and nothing is scarier than your Sat Nav flying straight at you when you are cruising down the motorway!! So I've been forced to buy a dashboard holder and I was quite unhappy to find out the only compatible one for my device from TomTom goes for 30 quid. Jeez!!

Other than that, I'm a happy(ish) camper

4.0 out of 5 stars Best value TomTom, 7 May 2013
Mr. V. Batura "Optik" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the same buggy new TomTom range. But this particular product is of the best value you can get.
It comes with:
3 years LIVE traffic update included
Live map update (as per small print : until TomTom supports this device with firmwares and new maps)
Large screen and compact body
I love the new magnetic mount and cable
Micro SD card slot for memory expansion

I am a big fan of TomTom's live traffic. So having 3 years worth @47.50 per year pays 142.50
This paid service will give you constant traffic update directly to your navigator including all small roads, Google search (my favorite) for any destination or point of interest. You could type in search for example nearest hardware store and choose the nearest (all information about the store , including the phone number will be included in the results)
Map updates for live is worth according to TomTom 79, but i could not find where one could buy it on their website...
142.5+79=221.50 if i was buying this services for my old TT 835
So financially it is well worth it! I saved 1.50 and gained new device. Hope it will last 3 years to get my money worth out of it.

The negatives:
I have used it 3 times and already had a map disappearing from the screen. All i could see was yellow background and pointer, voice was still giving the correct directions. I had it happening on my TT 835 a lot. Simple re-boot does not help, but if you hold the power button from ON until it switches off and than back on. Do not release the button and TT should boot with start up sound. this is a very annoying bug.
Mac and PC software is a nightmare to use from time to time. Latest bug I've experienced was a problem with registering my new TT to my existing TT account. In the end i had to create brand new account. My last TomTom Live 835 I owned for 1 year. and had similar problems with it.

Sadly I can not compare the TomTom to Garmin or any other brand of satnavs.

I would not be interested if the TomTom was sold without the Live traffic update and Live map update. But this particular pack with extras i can only recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gadget I have ever owned, 28 Aug 2013
P Paterson (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
I had an old Tom Tom which was becoming a little unreliable and I was tempted by the idea of Live Traffic updates so after some research bought the Tom Tom Go Live. It has shot straight to my number one best ever gadget.....truly a remarkable fabulous product - I love it! Easy to set up (and I am no techie), SO easy to use and the live updates are just brilliant. I do lots of driving up and down the A303 and M4/M5 plus quite a bit of city driving - the Tom Tom warns you in advance of problems on the road and offers alternative routes which I would just not have found on my own. Have just completed a 300 mile drive with a big delay in the middle but I followed the suggested route, wiggled around the back roads and hey presto, arrived the other end of the queue - fantastic!! The screen is great - easy to see and read even if your eyes are a bit duff like mine. If you are considering a new Sat Nav - look no further - cant believe this one can be improved!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 10 Sep 2013
after getting rid of my Garmin which was bought less than a year ago I decided to take a punt on this, purely for the 3 years live free I might add, and to be honest, its been the best Sat Nav iv ever owned, its saved me no end of times, it does have its flaws, the main one being if it detects a hold up 70 miles away it wont divert you round it, it will start early and send you miles out of the way to get by it, I ignore till im closer lol, its a great piece of kit, bulky but the window mount is spot on, I drive a Taxi for a living, its used daily, recommended :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 3 July 2013
very good sat nav tell you and does what it says on the box ,can be confusing at first but once used to it great to user
would recomend it

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor value for money, 31 Jan 2014
I had to return this tom tom model as within two weeks of usage it's blue tooth option to connect your mobile phone stop working , it would pair up Edith the phone but no sound, live service never worked to begin with as message kept coming up as error in the system, also could not use the voice control either. The whole point of paying three times more was to get these options which were extra. I returned it and bought the cheapest of the range tom tom which had all the other features as standard other than Bluetooth and voice control.
I would not recommend this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant product, 23 Sep 2013
I have has a TomTom 50 for many years. It has served me extremely well and still guides me accurately. However when I found the software was too old to download maps of other countries, I decided to buy a newer model. I am delighted with my GO LIVE 1005.

My first trip using this was to Switzerland and back which was completed without any problem whatsoever. I believe such a good product actually increases the safety of the journey since you can drive with a relaxed, confident mindset.

I have not found the voice control very effective, however this may reflect my poor enunciation or lack of experience with this Tom Tom.

I would not hesitate to recommend this Tom Tom to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont waste money on Live Services, 5 Dec 2013
D. Bradbury (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
When it worked the Live Services facility was excellent. The problem is, with me anyway, the programme is totally unreliable. I renewed it in July for around 50 on line, since when it has never worked on a car journey. When I connect it to the PC and the tomtom site for "updating" it works for a very short while. Then the device tells me in varying messages that Live Services is unavailable. One of these gives an error code and told me to "Please try again soon. If the problem doesn't go away please contact TomTom Customer Support. tomtom.com/support. Error Code 148"
I challenge anybody to contact TomTom Customer Support by this or any other means!
They have no means of direct contact with their Company and no postins/mention witin their web site of ANY error codes let alone No 148. Instead they point you only in the direction of support forums which are filled with queries from desparate TomTom customers in search of often elusive answers on a magnitude of problems. The people trying to provide such answers are other (uninformed) users trying to be helpful.
My 50 investment in "renewing" the Live Service is proving to be no more than a donation to the Companies bottom line profit. I could not afford to throw this money away and, seemingly, now can do nothing about it.
So my advice is at very least to avoid TomTom Live Services and preferably to avoid TomTom altogether because it is patently clear that they care nothing for actual after sales service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, 2 Jun 2014
Seems a bit to slow for me. Even google maps on my phone works more than twice faster and when route is recalculating phone do that much faster, but TomTom still quite accuracy and it's good for live traffic.