3.9 out of 5 stars1,106
Size: 4 UKColour: NavyChange
Price:£74.99+ £6.99 shipping

on 6 April 2011
My last pair of Hunters were the original, green wellies (when Original meant original, hand made in Scotland). They fit like bespoke kid gloves and they gave me more than 15 years of comfortable-as-slippers, leak-free service. They probably walked 100's of miles over tarmac, concrete, sand, mud, through water and the sea and I often rode horses in them. Despite the high price tag, they were money invested and I swore I'd never wear any other wellies than Hunters after that... Until, they moved their manufacturing to China. I was completely shocked at the speed at which my latest pair gave up the ghost, after just over a year. I'd NEVER buy another pair of Hunters again, I've heard the same complaint about the Chinese-made Hunters over and over again. They're not what they once were, you are paying for the brand and NOTHING more. Hunter, if you read these reviews, get your act together, your loyal customers are dropping like flies and no amount of catwalk exposure will entice them to put their feet in your boots again until they see 'Made in Scotland' back on that label.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2009
I have been wearing Hunter wellingtons for 40 years and they have been up and down in quality several times. Some years ago they got very thin and weak. Then they started making them in Scotland by a dipping process and these were very strong. These are characterised by rather wavy lines at the back, white plastic labels on the soles and especially by no seam in the cloth inside. If you can find a pair, they should last. A couple of years ago Hunters nearly went broke and now the boots are being made in the far east and not by the dipping process, despite what some suppliers tell you. Some of them were never told about the change and some have even rejected them when they found out. There were containers of them sitting at the docks in Britain for months having been rejected. The foreign ones are very neat at the back and have seams in the cloth inside. As a director of Hunters admitted to me, the new ones are not nearly as strong as the Scottish dipped ones. I think it is an outrage that people are still charging about £60 for these boots. They will begin to crack after literally just a few days use. There is no hope now that they will ever be making them properly again. If you want a pair for one year at Glastonbury, OK, but for serious use they are a complete waste of money.
5656 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2012
Having purchased these wellingtons just over a year ago. I was shocked to find the rubber becoming thin and the sole extremely worn with minimal use. The boots have split and AMAZON have refused to offer any compensation or replacement as the product did not appear faulty within the first 30 days.... Hunter are also unable to assist with the poor quality of their product as the boots are now over one year old. It seems as though Hunter will be relying on their name for a short period of time and customers shall be looking at more reputable manufacturers. Barbour do not seem to have the same problem....
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2010
Thanks for the warning - I had my first pair of Hunters for 22 years, and have now been through 3 pairs in 5 years just walking the dog. The last 2 pairs have split across the sole. They are not what they were and I shall be looking for an alternative.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2009
Had a pair of Hunters for over 6 years, with bo problems, but the last two pairs of Hunters I purchased recently both failed after about 15 months - cracking badly around the ankle. Made the mistake of getting yet another pair, which did not even make 12 months. Same problem. The quality is just not the same. My trusty old Dunlops are now 10 years old, cost a tenner and are still going strong. Hunter - unless you listen to your customers and do something, it will be the end of your company. Shame.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 November 2009
Until recently I loved my wellies, but in the past couple of months both heels have split therefore letting in water when out walking in wet weather, leaving me with wet, cold uncomfortable feet. I thought they would have lasted a lot longer than the 18 months I've had them. In the past I've bought wellies at a fraction of the price which have lasted just as long!!!!
on 14 September 2010
I am very disappointed with the Hunters Wellies, I have had 2 pairs within 12 months and both have worn thru on the sole, I wear them for about an hour a day and walk on various terrain. You can buy a cheap pair of wellies at a 3rd of the price that will last as long as these.
on 9 March 2012
I was so looking forward to receiving these boots and delivery was amazingly fast, however the boots were a big disappointment. My old pair fit perfectly and allowed room for jeans to be tucked in. These were a very strange fit at the top, they pinched at the inner knee and gaped at the other side, so I had to return them. (I'm a size 8 - 10 so average shape!)
on 20 November 2011
I am so disappointed with my wellies I purchased in good faith especially on Amazon & after hearing from a number of people how great Hunters were & how they last years! Well mine haven't even lasted 5 months the heels have worn right through letting in water! Amazon are very unhelpful I Would NOT recommend Hunters & have totally lost my confidence in Amazon! I am very unhappy customer
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2009
Hunter Boots are obviously living off their previous good reputation for great wellies. The current Hunter wellies I purchased have failed miserably just after the 12 month warranty expired. They have cracked and are splitting all around letting water in after very little use just walking on the grassland.After contacting Hunter Boots I was informed that the warranty only covers them for the 12 months and basically they are not interested. I am no longer fooled that todays Hunter wellies are in any way comparable with those produced in the past.They are obviously totally useless if you require a wellington which keeps out the water.They are a complete waste of money and cannot be recommended.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse