4.0 out of 5 stars A Good, Honest Bit of Kit
I bought this phone in December 2012 but didn't review it at the time. Now, after 10 months use, the time has come.
Published 10 months ago by dieseldoc

1.0 out of 5 stars it never arived
This whole experience with Amazon has been a disaster as the phone case arrived but the phone did not so one is no use without the other and I have been waiting now for over a month for the phone.
I understand I am being refunded for the phone which is good but still leaves me without a phone.
Published 8 months ago by david rowley

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good, Honest Bit of Kit, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: White STAR N9770 - 5.08 inch MTK6577 1.2GHz dual core CPU android 4.0.4 ICE CREAM SANDWICH 3G smartphone dual sim 8MP camera WIFI GPS, new google play store and flash player supported (Electronics)
As many have said it comes with a second battery but I've only ever used it once or twice on very heavy work days when I've been on the phone constantly. Usually I charge the phone every second or third night, but I'm not a heavy user. The extra battery would only really come into its own if there were a desktop charger available to fit the battery but I've never been able to find one. (Finally I made my own using an old charger with compatible pin contacts and a bit of plywood)!
Mine came with Android 4.0.9 but I see they now have 4.1.1 installed. The OS on mine has never faltered, never frozen up or anything, unlike my previous Samsung.
There was a fair bit of bloatware that needed weeding out; unwanted games and some Chinese stuff I didn't understand, but it didn't take long to sort out.
The dual-sim feature is what I was after and this is where the phone shines. It has accepted every sim I've tried in it with no issues. I work overseas so rather than pay for roaming I buy a local prepay sim and use it in the 2G slot, or in the the 3G data-enabled slot if the local rates are cheap enough as they often are. We pay far too much for mobile service in the UK, IMO. The only issue was that initially I couldn't get any internet connection (other than WiFi) but I found a helpful forum which gave the correct APN settings for vodafone, which I was using at the time. When I changed to 3 network there was no issue, nor was there on local networks in Azerbaijan, Australia, Georgia, UAE, India or Spain.
The screen is usefully big. I can update my accounting spreadsheet, write invoices, timeheets and expense claims using one of the free office apps from Play Store. I generally do this on the plane home (in flight safe mode, natch), and it sits in the outbox until I get off the plane when the phone sends out my paperwork and remotely prints anything I need printed on my office printer using Epson Connect.
The display is not the sharpest but it's more than good enough for most purposes. It's certainly good enough for YouTube clips and the like.
The touchscreen is very sensitive and responsive although there is sometimes a little lag when scrolling, but it's never bad enough to cause a problem. The sensitivity is useful as I use Swype a lot for text entry.
The camera as many have pointed out is not 8MP as claimed. More like about 5MP, but works very well. This phone is a working tool for me so I don't need anything fancy in the camera department. Generally I take pictures to illustrate reports or photograph things before I take them apart as an aid to reassembly and it's more than good enough for that. There's no image stabilisation though, so you need a steady hand.
Internet connection is way faster than on my old Galaxy S or S2, but that is most likely because I switched to 3 network - other carriers are glacially slow in my area. On WiFi it picks up my home network better than my tablet, all over a big old house with thick stone walls.
I rarely use the GPS but it worked fine anytime I tried it.
The headphones supplied are rubbish. I put them back in the box and modified a better pair to fit. A few minutes with a scalpel did it. The problem is that the connector is on a radiused edge of the phone so the hole is deeper on one side than the other. I carefully trimmed one side of the jack plug until the connector cleared the obstruction and Voila! Since then I have found a set with a much skinnier plug that worked fine so it's worth trying a few until you find a set that work. Or I see no reason a Bluetooth set wouldn't work, at the expense of caning the battery.
The supplied flip cover is excellent. My screen is still perfect even though I never used the screen protector supplied. I bought a new flip cover about a month ago to smarten it up a bit and because the original had split around the edge.
The Home key on mine is a little insensitive, sometimes needing two presses but it's no more than a minor niggle.
I ordered my phone from BUYSKU via Amazon and got it 8 days later, which was better than expected. I paid 116 for it, but I see the price on Amazon has dropped and you can get it for about 20 quid less now. Given that I think it was a bargain when I got it, it's even more of one now. It is, as I have said, a good honest tool and the only reason for subtracting a star is the headphones issue. It could so easily have been corrected at the design stage.
Something that needs to be mentioned is that it came with a 2 pin continental style charger and a cheap adaptor for UK 3 pin power sockets. If you get the same PLEASE JUNK THE ADAPTOR and buy a proper UK standard one. The supplied adaptors are cheap and so shoddily made that they are potentially dangerous. The internal contacts are loose and the high resistance across them can cause the adaptor to get hot or even catch fire. Trust me - I'm an engineer. And a quality adaptor will cost no more than a couple of quid.
There you have it. After nearly a year I have no regrets and would unhesitatingly buy another if I break this one. Recommended :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Star N9770 5.08 inch android smartphone, 3 Feb 2013
Arrived 8 days after order from Dracotek, item was well packaged, agree with other reviewers phone was very easy to set up but manual just basic. Phone looks very good quality in design and certainly does not look cheap could very easily mistake for a samsung galaxy note just some buttons in different places but the supplied case is great. As for speed and screen very quick and responsive (no going back to my Nokia). Other reviews mentioned that the FM radio could pick no channels up mine works brilliantly had many stations. Camera has many settings found by playing with the settings could get really good pictures. All in all the phone is absolutely brilliant for such a low price would recommend to anyone with a low budget but wanting a high end android phone (even if I had a high budget though wouldn't hesitate to get this phone). Thank you Dracotek.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bad reviews should mean nothing!, 14 Mar 2013
This product, so far is brilliant. I can't fault it to the extent others have. Fair enough it's not 8mp I do agree this should be changed in the description as 5mp but as for people saying it's VGA quality? RUBBISH! It's fine for taking pictures front and back. It's very sensitive which can be tedious but i'd moan if it lagged so you win some you lose some. It is fast and receives better signal than my HTC wildfire ever did!

The headphone situation is annoying simply because I am used to my Skull Candy headphones as earphones give me a headache so I will try and find an adapter.

I had to changed the APN settings for Vodafone when i received the phone as 3G wouldnt work but this took a maximum of 2 minutes.

It's bigger than I expected which is a very good thing. The operating system is in fact Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and the interface is almost identical to the note but 400 cheaper!

The bad reviews right now, to me mean nothing and the service from Drakotek was brilliant, it took only 5 days from dispatch to get to UK Southwest.

So 5 stars from me for the phone... the service and the enjoyment I've had so far bragging about having such a big, "expensive" phone at quarter of the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, 6 Feb 2013
What a great phone easy to work and very easy to set up connected to wifi no problem not had any problems as other reviewers have stated. I was expecting the phone to come with 4.0 ICS but to my delight it came with 4.1 Jellybean had it a week now and battery life is good and it seems to pick up a better phone signal compared to my old phone an LG optimus black, it states it comes with a 8mp camera but on the box it says 5mp but hey i don't take many photos with my phone i would rather use my camera. I have downloaded a few apps and have had no problems the CPU seems to be very quick quicker than my old phone, the display is very good clear and easy to see even in bright daylight would recommend this phone to anybody in all a very good phone

4.0 out of 5 stars SO FAR SO GOOD, 5 Jan 2013
ARRIVED 2 DAYS AFTER DISPATCH AFTER 6PM SO I WAS IN, WAS NOT ASKED FOR ANY MORE MONEY WHICH I KNOW HAS BEEN THE CASE WHEN THIS ITEM PURCHASED FROM OTHER SELLERS.
DON'T BOTHER TO READ THE MANUAL IT'S AS MUCH USE AS A CHOCOLATE TEAPOT.
I AM A 70YR OLD FEMALE SO NOT EXPERT WITH TECHNOLOGY BUT THIS WAS A DODDLE TO SET UP,took off back put in battery and charged up phone took about 3hrs bit longer than my i-phone,put in orange sim and was up and running it recognised my sky wi-fi and I entered password all good.Easy to download Apps and set up my e-mail account.
what took me the longest to work out was how to delete contacts.
3G works, camera ok have put in micro SD card. battery did not last as long as i-phone but I have been using it all day.
It came with 2 batteries headphones a screen protector and cover.
So far so good, if I encounter any probs I will update this report.

1.0 out of 5 stars it never arived, 6 Dec 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Phone!, 15 Mar 2013
I received this phone 9 days after ordering so very impressed considering it was from China. To start off, I was not a big fan of the Android operating system, mainly down to a not so good experience with a fairly cheap tablet with Android 2.3...very slow, not very user friendly...I then bought a Ipad 3 which just works...Anyway, this phone arrived, within 30 minutes (mind you it took me 10 mins to remove the bubblewrap..loads of it!) it's up and running my 3 sim and an Australian Vodafone sim, no setting up required. The phone appears to have 4.1.1 operating system (is it "Jelly Bean"?) and it is soooo smooth! I would say as smooth as my Ipad and after comparing it to my son's iphone 4s just as good. I have tried all the features on the phone ie wifi, Bluetooth, 3g, 2g, the play store, bbc iplayer, etc. and all work fine. The screen is really clear (I am getting on a bit and wear glasses), I appear to be getting a stronger signal on the "3" network with this phone compared to my previous phone (a HP palm pre2). Overall a fantastic piece of kit and what a price! why pay 3x more for the Galaxy Note when this appears to be just as good...to be fair the people I have showed it to all thought it was a 'Note'. Very pleased!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just give them another year!!, 13 Jan 2013
I ordered my star note from lakewood. I gave the seller 5 stars as their service was very good. I have always been dubious about buying products from china but after reading many positive reviews I decided to give it a go. The phone arrived in 2 weeks which I thought was good over the christmas period. Also I had no extra postage fees to worry about ( like id read about in other reviews) which was nice. The phone itself came packaged nicley in a samsung esc box. The build quality seems pretty good, really no different to my old galaxy s. The phone recognised my o2 sim straight away and I was playing around in no time. The ics operating system seems very user friendley and easy to customise. This phone was advertised as 1.2 ghz dual core processor but is actually only 1ghz dual core. Don't let this put you off as It still handles everything faster and smoother than my galaxy s. It is a little smaller than a galaxy note but still has a big clear display. It comes with 2 batteries which I was a little worried about but I am quite a heavy user and a charge lasted all day for me (I charge every evening). It connected to my wifi no problem and seems fast online. The reason its only getting 3 stars from me is the headphone jack doesn't accomadate all earphones. The ones that come with the phone work fine but the pin on some doesn't go in far enough due to the shape of the phone casing. Not a huge deal tho. My main gripe is the camera. Its crap! Its says 8mp but id read reviews saying it was more like 5. Id say more like vga. It annoyed me quite a lot. However I don't take to many pics so ill live with this problem. So in summary this is a very capable phone that runs all my games and apps prrfectly fine. It looks like a much more expensive model and if you can get past Its camera well worth its price. Give it another year and i think these chinese model/clones will be as good as the big westeren firms. And for those who care my star note just achieved an antutu benchmark of 6600 which isn't bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Star N9770- Don't buy this phone and don't buy anything from the Deal Center, China, 3 Mar 2014
Star N9770- Don't buy this phone and don't buy anything from the Deal Center, China (very bad seller)= No Guarantee

I purchased the Star N9770 cell phone from the Deal Center, China. The phone took a very long time to arrive, a bad sign?
The Star N9770 cell phone worked okay apart from the micro sd slot which is badly manufactured. Therefore the micro sd slot never worked. Since I use the phone only for making phone calls and to use the internet I decided to keep the phone.
After just under FOUR (4) months the Star cell phone broke and refused to switch on or power up.
I contacted the Deal Center in China who promised to repair or refund the cell phone and to pay all shipping costs.
My wife boxed up the phone and sent it back to the Deal Center for replacement or repair.
After two months and no replies I contacted the Deal Center who promised to repair the cell phone and ship it back asap.
For the next two months I sent many emails to the Deal Center and received lots of broken promises that the repair would be done quickly and the phone shipped back asap = more broken promises and false words.
One month ago I contacted amazon.co.uk for help and amazon.co.uk sent three emails to the Deal Center asking them to solve the problem. The Deal Center failed to answer the three emails that amazon sent and more emails from myself.
I contacted amazon again and received this was told that since it was more than 90 days I had to resolve the the issue and repair with the Deal Center. I explained this was difficult since the Deal Center refuse to answer emails from amazon or myself.
Amazon has now forwarded my complaints to their seller team. However I don't hold much hope of every seeing the Star cell phone or getting my postage refunded.

To end don't buy this cell phone and certainly don't buy anything from the Deal Center, China since the Deal Center doesn't replace any faulty goods under guarantee.

In the mean time I purchased a Huawei G700-U10 which is a far better cell phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars What the hell happened to customer services?, 12 May 2013
**EDIT** 10/03/14: This phone mysteriously packed in one day, so I contacted the legendary customer services, who are per (at that time) other reviewers and personal experience, responded quickly. After reassurances re a free replacement & refunding of postage I sent it off, and they even sent the new phone out in advance.

The new phone has been working ok, and there are some slight improvements on it, but the postage refund has STILL not happened and the legendary good customer service has turned into the now notoriously bad one that I see littered around the most recent reviews here.

I am still trying to pursue it and I truly hope that they do; but as this is no longer a certainty (Amazon order link says it is too late to initiate A-Z Guarantee, but I'm not sure how this relates to an actual replacement) and the customer service has just disappeared I thought it was only fair that this review now reflects that.

Sure, it's great I got a replacement phone. But to not receive the promised postal refund and to receive no contact at all to repeated emails is diabolical. If they think that's acceptable, likely to make me buy again, and let the initial review stand unaltered, just no.

I will happily update this again if the situation changes, which I sincerely hope that it does.

Original review continues below:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this phone based on the positive reviews here, and with the added assurance that buying through Amazon gave extra protection, as do the Distant Selling Regulations (of which so many people are woefully unaware - and are far more likely to be applicable to stuff bought online in the UK, than this rather excellent phone)

It arrived within 6 days (infinitely better than more locally placed sellers) and I was delighted to see what great quality it is. The instruction booklet is tiny with tinier writing and not all that helpful so I abandoned them and just got going, it is so user-friendly and intuitive so I got most things sussed just by using it. This includes the camera which has got such mixed reviews on here - I can only wonder if those that hate it with a passion have found the added extras to it that have lead others to loving it with a passion?

There is great info on here but my best advice to anyone who "thinks the camera is crap" or can't get it to do something or anything of that ilk, is to contact the Dratotek Customer Services. The contact details will always be to hand via your Amazon "Your Orders" link, and is a truly exceptional service - fast response, friendly, helpful advice and truly gold (nay, platinum!) standard.