5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, if you're ready for it
Published 14 months ago by Cambridgebooklover

3.0 out of 5 stars Raunchy
A very thought provoking read for me but enjoyable.

A further step into the unknown, scary but so worth while.
Published 4 months ago by Ellie

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, if you're ready for it, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Kindle Edition)
This book is not for you if you are not open to so many things - yourself, Domination and submission and others - and whatever lies between the three components addressed in this beautiful memoir of a love story - love, that goes deep down to your soul. If you are not ready for this, hold on to it on your to-read list, read some lighter BDSM literature and get back to it, it will be worth it! Senta Holland requires an attentive reader with an open heart, mind and soul - it doesn't work without it. She takes the reader into (or as close as possible to) what she calls the "place of deep submission".

It is a story about the heroine's Love, her Dominant, her Master, her Lord, her Nai. - she is His love, His submissive, against all odds she is about to be (or already) His slave, she is His senta. The story shows the many facets of their beings from her point of view - it is about her experience, noone else's. i really can't describe it any further as you have to read it yourself to experience it - this isn't a novel, it's an experience.

i loved it - thank you Senta (i shall definitively send you an e-mail when i get up tomorrow)! Especially for the end of the book which, though not what i would have wanted for them, was very good aftercare.

*i had the honour of receiving a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review through Goodreads*

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant, 9 July 2013
Cryspalitus (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I was almost convinced that this was the author's own story until I got to the end and read that it was a work of fiction. It was so well written that I actually felt her pain at times and not only the physical pain but also the mental anguish and yearning.

This isn't just a story of one person inflicting pain upon another person (although there are some scenes that are very brutal and not for the faint-hearted). It is so much more than that. It is a story of trust, hope, passion, devotion and yes, even love. It is the story of Senta's search throughout the world for a man who is capable of meeting her needs. She discovers him in Thailand, an American, and they find that sexually they have much in common.

At times, I did lose the time-line and wasn't sure whether I was reading of things that were happening now or in the past. Also, although it is beautifully written, I did find that at certain points there were ramblings and repetitious phrases. However, I felt it was touching and poignant and not at all what I thought it would be. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetic and beautiful, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I loved the poetic language and her use of English which has the power to make the reader almost experience the elation and the heartache Senta suffers. This to me was a glimpse into the heart of another at a profound level and I felt privileged but somehow saddened that people have the capacity to be cruel for the most tawdry reasons. The corollary of that is she has experienced something, however fleeting, which few of us will achieve and how many of us make decisions for pragmatic reasons.

Someone on here said the book is an experience and it is, it is not literature in the accepted sense, you have to submerge yourself in it.

I do not believe this is a novel, this is autobiographical and I suspect her means of reliving something quite profound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shining a spotlight on a dark world, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Kindle Edition)
Fifty Shades of Grey may have passed me by, but Out of the Shadows proved to be a deeply engaging glimpse into the world of a woman struggling to find her true self inside and outside the bedroom.

As the mysterious author, Senta Holland, slowly unwraps the layers of her BDSM affair with her "Nai" (a rich American born man brought up in Thailand) she also slowly reveals a highly personal account of her own journey toward addressing her sexuality.

While most of the book's narrative shows Senta making her way in the bedroom it also reveals a surprisingly interesting and intimate account of an independent woman making her way in an unfamiliar society - in this case Bangkok. While navigating her deeply passionate relationship with her "Nai" she also has to steer a course as a second wife and build a "normal life" in a country where she can't even read a shop sign.

You don't have to have a personal interest in BDSM to empathise with Senta's situation. The author carefully constructs empathy for a woman who feels she's been forced to live on the fringes of society, an outcast because of her sexual longings.

Senta's account is clear, her character's not striking a blow for feminism by embracing her chosen lifestyle as submissive partner in a BDSM relationship, rather she's striking a blow for the individual. The writer stands up for everyone who wants to live their own life rather than one judged acceptable by mainstream society.

There's something in Out of the Shadows for anyone who has been told their attractions, dreams, or fantasies are dirty - but have never been able to quite understand why.

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful read, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I got this book free on Amazon and I'm really glad I downloaded it.

This is one of the most powerful books I have read in a long time. The writing is superb and I will definitely read more books by this author.

She is a Sub; seeking her ideal Dom; this story is about much, much more than BDSM, it's about living your sexuality in the open, not being condemned to hide. It's also a love story full of emotion, intellect and a depth of feeling I can't put into words. It's stayed in my head for weeks after reading it, which is unusual for me.

It's the story of a young women trying to find a lover with whom she can express her sexuality without let or hindrance. She find's him, her Nai, in Bangkok but he eventually lets her down in the most cowardly way. He wants them to live the slave/master lifestyle 24/7. However, her Nai is forced to drop her or have his life style exposed and suffer the consequences. He chooses to let her go.

I know that this review of mine does not do justice to this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Raunchy, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Kindle Edition)
A very thought provoking read for me but enjoyable.

A further step into the unknown, scary but so worth while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Kindle Edition)
This book was hard work to start with and the content is quite violent in places. I persevered with the story even though parts were a bit strong for my liking. Ok for a free book

2.0 out of 5 stars Very hard to read..., 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Kindle Edition)
This book is based on the main characters real experience. The sex is very discriptive and shocking - but not in a bad way! The style of writing is really strange though. A bit like being in someones dream when their thoughts are racing all over their head. I liked travelling the world in this story but the writing style made it very hard on the eyes and I couldn't read large sections all at once cause I got a headache.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not want to finish, 22 Oct 2013
**ARC Provided by Netgalley and HarperCollins UK for an honest review**

I just could not get on with this book. Its not the subject matter that i had a problem with as i have very diverse tastes, it was the style of writing.

It was more of a literary prose than a novel/story and the first story was very disjointed. I ended up having to put this book down 20% of the way through as i new it wasn't for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I recognised myself, 22 Sep 2013
M. Morris "melmorris72" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out of the Shadows (Kindle Edition)
Wow. OK without the rich master, the exotic locations this could have been me writing about my experiences. Just beautiful. I was lost in Senta and her Nai's world. So many times i had to stop reading and just walk around the room to process the feelings. It almost had me in sub space at times. For anyone who is one the 'BDSM people' or who thinks they might be this is the book I wished I had at the start of my journey. Bravo.

Out of the Shadows