4.0 out of 5 stars pretty darned good
I knew this was a sci-fi romance, but I was surprised to find that it was a romance first and foremost and a sci-fi second. The romance elements are a lot stronger than the science fiction. In fact, I kind of think they overshadowed it a little bit. I like a good romance as much as the next person, so I wasn't too bothered by this. I just didn't expect it.

I...
Published 16 months ago by Sadie Forsythe

1.0 out of 5 stars Desperate, adolescent wet dream.
Published 4 months ago by Apionid

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty darned good, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Ghost In The Machine (Corwint Central Agent Files Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

I really appreciate that Kilgore was willing to explore the concept of the consequences of actions, including inaction. I would almost call this the theme of the book. Orynn was forced to face this again and again and there were some real tragedies here. They were some of the most realistic element of the book, which is something I think some authors are afraid to allow. I'm glad Kilgore was willing to go there. I also thought it countered all the sappy, happy-happy-joy-joy of the romance.

The crew of the Zera reminded me a lot of the crew of the Firefly. Yes, the book lacked the steampunk element, but the basic way the crew interacted, the young female engineer, their tendency to fight the good fight while functioning outside the proper legal confines all seemed very, very familiar to me. Now, I loved Firefly. I adored the characters and the way they loved to hate one another, how they ragged on each-other constantly and teased each-other good naturedly. All those elements were here to love in this book too.

I was a little disappointed to find the all to frequently used female lead who has extremely strong abilities, but is hampered by her fragile heart. I really hate this trope, hate it. Orynn was forever berating herself or falling apart for using her natural born skills--for being who she is essentially. What's more, she frequently compromised herself in the process, resulting in the classic damsel in emotional distress syndrome. Yep, I hate that too. Don't get me wrong. I didn't dislike Orynn as a character. I just found myself groaning at some of her antics. She could have been a strong female lead. She should have been really. Instead she was a an emotional basket case that made me want to kick her. At 200+ year old she should have figured some of this stuff out already.

I also had a moderate problem with Ethan. I loved him as a character. He was kind, considerate, and willing to examine himself and his own motives. But he was just too human for a mecha (android), both emotionally and physically. I gather he was designed to evolve and was something of an anomaly among mecha, but he really rose above his subroutines on more than one occasion. Then there was the minor detail of sex. I can accept him being anatomically correct. His designer was aiming for realistic human form after all. I can even accept that he was able to activate that organ as any other. I was with the author up to this point. But once we reach his ability to climax, including a deposit (for lack of a less offensive description), I was lost. I couldn't help but wonder what function that option played. It's not like he had any genetic material to pass on for the purpose of procreation. Not to mention what was it made of...hydrolic fluid?

The writing was pretty good, especially in the second half--once the author passed the need to break up each passage to explain every new species, planet, space station, etc. (That really disrupted the flow of the first half of the book). I only have two small criticism. One, the book could do with a little more editing. Two, the POV is all over the place. Luckily, the cast is pretty small so when you head-hop you can't go too far. But the reader does leap from person to person a lot, often in a short space of time and with no warning.

Despite my complaints, I enjoyed the book and would be more than willing to continue the series. I look forward to seeing how the other characters evolve, especially Merek. He was my favourite. I recommend the book more for romance fans than sci-fi fans though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Desperate, adolescent wet dream., 31 July 2014
Kilgore has come up with a cast of reasonably engaging (if not entirely original) characters and a potentially interesting (if not entirely original) special ops scenario. He then ruins it all by sidelining the fledgeling plot while the crew obsess over eachother like adolescents and indulge in hormone fuelled playground spats. Even the 'mecha' Ethan, an allegedly sophisticated android can't control his baser urges and operates at the same level as a horny brat. The plot exists merely to steer the protagonists from one clinch to the next.

I realise a space opera isn't complete without a little letching and the occasional coming together but there is a limit. I'm sure there is a market for this but it would be nice if the blurb made clear what was coming, so curmudgeons like me can pass by.

Life is short so I'm afraid I deleted it before I finished it - a rare thing for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story, 9 Oct 2014
A good story with an interesting plot, twisting and turning as the crew follow their mission. I loved the way the characters developed as the tale unfolded, merging some almost familiar ideas with clever merging of pure science fiction. Looking forward to the next book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 29 Dec 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Sci Fi is not normally my thing but I was very quickly into the book and will now be purchasing the next 2. Highly recommended whether you enjoy SciFi or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 May 2014
An interesting,happy,sad and wonderful story. Buying next book right away to see what happens. Hope there is going to be a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Nov 2014