Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.83

on 24 November 2012
This is the kind of friendly jazz that gets nominated for the Mercury Prize, and that is no bad thing.

GoGo Penguin are a genuine trio (rather than a pianist with a couple of other guys to make up the numbers) and this gives the album plenty of depth and variety. Be sure to listen past the opening (presumably) e.s.t. homage (as good as it is) because there is plenty more original material here as well.

The album should though come with a health warning as 'Last Words' is a powerful ear-worm that will still be going around in your head at 3AM on a tuesday morning!

An excellent debut that only doesn't 5 stars because I am waging a one man war against review-star-inflation, it would get 4.5 if that were an option.
on 25 March 2015
Great debut album, which I bought out of sequence, having originally been given a copy of their excellent follow up album V.2. Fantastically accomplished playing and great tunes. Go and catch them live, they are as tight a unit as you will ever see.
on 15 December 2012
Jazz............ a genre I know nothing about,owning only John Coltranes A Love Supreme & a Miles Davis complilation, its something i've always tended to avoid. But for no longer, this album has opened my eyes & ignited a curiosity to delve deeper, because its fantastic. The opening tracks, Seven Sons Of Bjorn & Last Words, draw you in & then you're hooked, & i've found myself reccommending it to all my jazz apprehensive friends. Brilliant !!
on 15 December 2012
I went to see the Penguins back in August, before the cd had come out. The band played with so much energy and such a mature understanding of the jazz idiom that I was instantly a fan. I was really looking forward to this, & I wasn't disappointed. Excellent stuff, if piano trio's are your thing you could do a lot worse then shell out on this one!
on 28 June 2015
My dads over the moon and incredibly happy with this, he loves it!! #one happy dad on fathers day :)
on 1 July 2015
Very tight new piano trio, slight echoes of EST.

thoroughly reccomended
on 2 June 2015
Best contemporary jazz album I've ever bought. I love these guys.
on 20 March 2015
Fresh, exciting transcending! I love this band! !
on 28 May 2013
found it after hearing one of the tracks on a Jamie Cullum Radio 2 show. Hopefully that indicates that type of jazz music that I like listening to.
on 13 November 2013
Great album, not many today like this on the market. Simply Love it. Unusual sound. Boys from Manchester are doing great job.