on 27 April 2014
What a great book.
The tales of what may happen at any point make interesting reading and food for thought.
I shall keep an eye out for other books from the author.
on 26 September 2013
An incredible yet thought provoking novel what may or could happen if the country was brought to a standstill if all the power was some how turned off.
on 3 May 2014
Good as long as you have plenty of time to read. Once you get into it, without being distracted, it is very easy to not want to put it down.
on 3 April 2014
a little confusing at the start, but a good read after that, it certainly makes you think 'WHAT IF' an enjoyable read give it a try.
on 10 September 2014
A gripping story from start to finish, a glimpse into what might happen if the way we live comes to an abrupt end. Reliance on unsustainable energy is not a good idea in the long term anyway. I might be sentimental but I can't help thinking when I was a lad and lived off the land everyone seemed to pull together for the common good. Yes I am old haha
on 11 April 2014
true to form exactly how would imagine things to be . like the way it was written by the person experiencing the event.
on 21 January 2014
I like this author and I have defended him against complaints of bad punctuation, grammar and syntax, but this book is just a step too far. Whole batches of the text are missing and this gets worse as the book progresses.

I was actually expecting it to be another of the excellent Inspector Rase novels but it is completely different. Basically, it recounts a Britain some three months after the nation's entire power has been irreparably wiped out by a freak magnetic storm. As a story, it does have potential but unfortunately, not to the extent that I was prepared to persevere having to guess what might be missing from the text.

I got to 42% and gave up.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2013
The opening and middle chapters were very good, had me involved all along, were well written and exciting etc.. The big "let-down" was the ending. In the book, the main character has a short time to "write-up" a journal before he has to leave. I think that the author did the same, the ending is flat and quite boring, and is totally different from the main part of the book. It wanders all over the place with no "bang" of a finish as I would have expected, more of a fizzle that left me disappointed. I feel it could have had a much better ending to make it a "very good" book instead of "It's okay".
on 7 March 2015
This is a bit of a problem, some of the text is misspelt and jumbled, it is a meaty read however it is a great story, well written and thought out. It feels like a draft almost as it could undoubtably have been edited better or even have added background at certain parts to increase the depth. But his is a great book, reminiscent of an early Wyndham novel or even earlier books like, the back room. It seems to capture that it was written now, but now can be any period over the last 70 years or any time in the future, really enjoyed , will follow the author again,
Great read
on 10 November 2013
This is a well written book with a twist on the many tales on the market. Where instead of there being the coming of the apocalypse and the protagonist being alone in this new world he is instead forced among desperate people and faced with a hugely difficult task. The characters are easy to relate to even though the situations they are found in could not be further from our own lives.