5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read
Believable alien contact is one of my favourite subject matter and Iam always on the lookout for new authors, however the books still need to be well written, of decent book length and the right price.

Published 21 months ago by philswan

3.0 out of 5 stars Outside Context Problem
very very long winded but I stuck with it as I thought it had potential, if there is a follow up it needs to pick up the pace
Published 20 months ago by HJP129

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: Outside Context Problem (Kindle Edition)

I first came across this author when I read his book 'Invasion' which is also an excellent read, I couldn't believe the value for money aganist some of the rubbish kindle books out there which where higher priced and poorly written.

This book is the first one in the Trilogy of what happens when a superior race comes to Earth and wants the planet for themselves, if you like that sort of book you will love this.

My only comment being from the UK is that I hope in the coming books what happens in the rest of the world is included, its briefly touched on in this book and I have no problem with that as at the end of the day its a US book for a US market.

An excellent read and one that I couldn't put down, please Mr Nuttall release the sequel ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent near future alien contact and military scifi, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: Outside Context Problem (Kindle Edition)
I found this book really gripping. As other reviewers have noted all the action is very believable. It strikes the right balance between the aliens being technologically advanced but still being subject to basic physics and therefore human weaponry! It is one of the few novels where humans give a good account of ourselves without resorting to ridiculous hero tropes or unbelievable weaknesses in the aliens.

I have only given it four stars due to the odd typo and, to my eye, the too often repetition of certain phrases and memes, which detracts a little from the overall writing which is very good.

I got the book while it was free, but was so impressed I'll be heading to the author's website to donate. I await the next installment of the trilogy impatiently.

3.0 out of 5 stars Outside Context Problem, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: Outside Context Problem (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars This review was inadvertently posted for the Trojan Horse but is meant for this book., 8 July 2014
This review is from: Outside Context Problem (Kindle Edition)
Oops! Made a mistake and put in my review of this book as a review of The Trojan Horse (which I haven't as yet read) for this book, which I reviewed through sheer boredom halfway through.

As it happens Outside Context Problem turns out to be a decent story - once you've nearly reached the end. Restored my faith in Christopher Nuttall as a page turning author. Just a pity about all the flannel for nearly three quarters of the book. I ended up skipping page after page as I am SO not interested in the make up of the American military services or the various characters' deep background history. He's come up with an invasion idea which he perceives could be true, hitting America as the "most important country in the world" first before the baddie aliens turn to the rest of Earth. True America has more armaments, more people, more everything so odds are they would try and knock them out first, and good ol' American know how will doubtless knock them back in the next books. If you want a quick read don't bother.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decently told tale but overlong., 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Outside Context Problem (Kindle Edition)
I have read several tales by this author and whilst they are generally well written he can be rather laborious at times. I am a fairly quick reader but I found myself skipping irrelevant sections just to end chapters. I have downloaded the next two volumes I hope they are not as long winded as the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-fi for the fans., 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Outside Context Problem (Kindle Edition)
Nuttall does it again, another very readable sci-to book,good characters,enjoyable premise and tight storyline. Looking forward to reading the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Outside Context Problem (Kindle Edition)
Gripping story, really enjoyed it, already started on the second. makes you think how we would cope with shock and awe from a technologically superior foe. There are so many

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs better editing, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Outside Context Problem (Kindle Edition)
The Outside Context Problem trilogy is an epic, enjoyable and very believable depiction of a hostile alien force coming into contact with humanity. Refreshingly, this is one science fiction book where the characters are very much aware of science fiction plots about alien invasions, from "Independence Day" to Niven & Pournelle's "Footfall" and many other references. A large part of the trilogy deals with the uncomfortable aspects of occupation and collaboration, sandwiched between the action packed beginning and endings of the series.

However, the books could do with some "Outside" help of their own in the shape of an editor. Parts of the story are inconsistent or have errors in them, the author insists on repeatedly using the book to political points about NASA and Israel (for example).. the sort of thing that you can get away with once or twice, but it gets repetitive. And I lose count of how many times I read "like a bad movie" in the book. And come to think of it "tits on a bull" is something that should only get one outing, if that.

But overall this is a very enjoyable trilogy, even if some of it is quite a tough read due to the subject matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a very entertaining read, 18 Jan 2014
D. Coward "Del" (Larkfield, Kent. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outside Context Problem (Kindle Edition)
I found all the books in the trilogy good, unputdownable reads, they entertained and had that quality of almost unstoppable page turning excitement. The 'typos' I found I could forgive for such good stories - hence 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars A tad too patriotic..., 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Outside Context Problem (Kindle Edition)
Christopher Nuttall's Outside Context Problem is the story of an alien invasion, specifically, an alien invasion of the USA. The plot is fairly standard, although there are a few nice takes on cliched storylines (that I cannot reveal without spoilers).

My main problem with this book is how... American it is! The entire book centers around America, with the rest of the world shown as helpless bystanders, something that begins to grate after a while. The book is not especially PC either, with lines such as:

"The body was male, with a faintly Arabic appearance. Nicolas wondered whether it was a particularly infamous missing terrorist"

"Will felt a certain measure of sympathy for everyone who had faced the USAF. The experience of facing a vastly superior foe was humbling."

"The African Governments were, as a general rule, corrupt and their leaders looted as much as they could before rebels desposed them... ...the continent was a hopeless disaster area." (This is BEFORE the alien attacks)

Lines such as these undermine the entire book, and create a faint air of silliness about the whole thing, a deadly flaw in science fiction.

The aliens, likewise, feel a bit OTT, with almond-shaped eyes, grey skin and a generally stereotypical appearance. I would also appreciate it if Christopher Nuttall *didn't* keep on throwing his political opinions into the book at every opportunity. Lines such as "he was alright, even if he was a Democrat" and "the gun control nuts" are just irritating and severely hampered my limited enjoyment of the book.

In summary, the book has a solid, if unoriginal story, passable description and dialog, and an extremely irritating writing style that, as a non-American, pissed me off no end.

2/5