5.0 out of 5 stars Flash definitely does "Move Forward"
I feel the other reviews of this book here are a little bit harsh really. The snippets on the back of this book are a much more accurate reflection of the contents.
Published on 14 April 2013 by Louisa Register

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped
This is my first go at the Flash as a comic book character outside the Justice League, my only other experience of him being the recent TV show and the DC Animated movies (Flashpoint Paradox being one of my favs). Sadly it was not all I hoped for.
Published 3 months ago by Jakeisthecoolest

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Flash definitely does "Move Forward", 14 April 2013
This review is from: The Flash Vol. 1: Move Forward (The New 52) (Kindle Edition)
This new version of The Flash sets off at a brisk pace and slowly picks up pace as it goes along. It's a simple and straightforward superhero story with a very likeable and believable main character. What really comes across is how much the writers both like and understand Barry Allen -and that can be extremely important in comics. You can feel the passion and effort that this new creative team are putting into every page. And some of the pages are absolutely breathtaking. Has to be seen to be believed. The artwork is top notch.
I would say if you've ever wanted to get into The Flash and if you want a good fun superhero book to read, you could do a lot worse than buying this. A lot worse.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped, 28 Jan. 2015
Jakeisthecoolest "Jake" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Firstly, unlike many of the other New 52 reboots, this felt like it was starting in the middle and I really struggled to feel anything for Barry Allen or the Flash. There was none of his humour or goofiness we see with the Justice League and maybe that is a good thing as he is own his own in this, but I found him less likeable.
I struggled to engage with any of the story lines, with the exception of the Grodd one, which is only teased at.
But what really let it down for me was the Kindle conversion. Panels skipped when using panel to panel mode to read. Dialogue cropped out the frame. I found myself frequently backtracking to find out what was going on. This is just not acceptable.
If you are a big fan of the Flash then I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but I'm gonna leave this one for now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very slow... how ironic, 30 Oct. 2014
The Flash/Barry Allen is one of DC's most treasured icons and one of the most defining superheroes of modern comics culture. How disappointing is it then, that I expected something a little better?

In the Flash's first tale of the New 52 relaunch, an old face from Barry's past returns in a way that he could never have guessed, leaving Central City in a blackout after an EMP bomb brings the city into a dark age. Captain Cold, one of the Flash's greatest villains makes his escape from prison with a deadly grudge. As if this isn't enough, it turns out that the speed force that gives the Flash his powers is also creating holes in the space/time continuum and may results in the end of existence as we know it.

Many good ideas and interesting characters appear throughout these stories, but I couldn't help but feel this book dragged on and on. It wasn't bad, and was certainly a good place for this newcomer to the scarlet speedster to jump on without the need for prior reading, but a barely memorable plot wasn't enough for me to thoroughly enjoy it. One good thing, however, is that for the most part, it remains true to the essence of how fun superheroes are meant to be, without much of the unnecessary doom and gloom of most modern comics.

Brian Buccellato's art was beautiful from start to finish, keeping to the realms of reality while also maintaining a stylized, almost cartoonish and colourful aesthetic that is a treasure to behold.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone new to comics and fans of the current CW tv show, and hope you enjoy it more than I did. It is by means a great book and everything great about western superhero comics, but it just wasn't really for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sends you fast to sleep, 19 Nov. 2012
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Like a lot of "New 52" titles, "Flash" doesn't go into the origin of the character - Barry Allen, the Flash, comes fully formed and jumps straight into action from the opening pages. This might frustrate new readers who've never read "Flash" before as his origin isn't well-known like Batman or Superman's, but this choice is endemic of a larger problem with a lot of these new titles: the lack of character development and the focus on action despite DC aiming this re-launch at introducing new readers to these characters for the first time.

Barry Allen is a forensic pathologist with Central City's Police Department and is about as vanilla as they get with the bland sweaters he wears symbolising the lack of personality he has. He is better as the Flash as his powers are pretty awesome. Everyone knows he's fast but his ability to tap into the Speed Force, the source of his power, enables him to vibrate his molecules so fast he can pass through solid objects as well as other objects he touches.

Despite this though the dull enemies Flash faces are what really bring this book down. The laughably named "Mob Rule" is an old friend of Flash's who can cut off a piece of himself and grow a full size copy of himself from it - this leads to dozens of versions of the single host. I don't know what to say about this character except what a stupid power and what a boring character he was. Next up is an old favourite of Flash's, the rogue Captain Cold, who sounds like a cereal mascot. In other Flash books, Cold's power derived from his ice guns but in this new book - for no explanation whatsoever - he is able to generate ice with his hands, like Iceman. Ok... There's more but these are the two main baddies of this book and neither were interesting.

The art is the book's saving grace. Francis Manapul crafts some excellent pages utilising the comics format perfectly like when Flash falls out of a building and vibrates through the street into the sewer - it's a really well laid out page. There's also a strong sense of motion on the page when Barry changes into Flash or fights a group of soldiers or even uses the Speed Force to see future events - the sense of motion is crucial to get right in a comic like this and Manapul does an excellent job at drawing this. I also really liked that the title pages of each issue were drawn into the scene to become part of it, it was really creative and eye-catching.

But imaginative art aside, the weak story, unconvincing dialogue and paper-thin characters weren't enough to interest me in the Flash's new adventures and I can't imagine this series is going to win many new readers to this character's side. "Move Forward" is too much of an average superhero comic with an unimpressive lead superhero in the spotlight and a complete snooze-fest to read. What should've been one of the major series of the reboot is one of the most missable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okayish, 26 Oct. 2014
I don't know if I liked it. Weird story set up.

- firstly, there is no origin story
- first story is about a friend of flash
- friend has healing factors
- others after friend for said factor (wolverine anyone?)
- Barry tries to help him
- second story is about Barry's speed force
- speed force is ripping worm holes/vortexes
- Barry gets sent through one into a gorilla world that would fit in with planet of the apes

Both stories were a little weak. I found the start of the second story boring, losing interest fairly quickly. The plots were boring, and the allude to Planet of the Apes above made my eyes roll.

Not crazy on the art work. Numerous, and I mean numerous, small frames on one page showing multiple things in an attempt to show you how quick flash processes the world. As a reader it just made the story seem disjointed, and at times rushed.

Overall, not too keen. I bought the comic as it was on a £3 sale and because I thought I might enjoy it after the Flash series started on Sky1. The comic is no where near as good as the show which is a shame. If you can get it on sale it's an okay read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff with Brilliant Art, 29 Oct. 2014
As one of my first-up-to-date-proper-volumes of comics I was presently surprised by this.
As you might've been told, it jumps straight into the action within the first few pages, and I didn't mind this, since due to abrupt action of the comic your mind forgets to complain.
The story is good, and the highlight of the comic is when The Flash encounters Captain Cold-where there is time running out fast on each page a timer stands, it builds up the tension beautifully.
I, like some other, reviewers, didn't find myself getting bored at all, and found the Mob Rule storyline interesting due to the fact that the Flash having a connection with him.
The brilliance of this comic lies in the art, the really lovely tone-almost like watercolour, makes it easy to read. At points the artist breaks up the panels of the page, changes tone hugely, and it all works as a visual treat.
Sometimes I find in comics things aren't one hundred percent clear but that never occurs here.
The story also improves throughout and is brilliant near the end.

Maybe most importantly I do relate to the Flash and his certain relationships, a great comic here- easily recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Picks Up in the Middle, 20 Feb. 2014
I was so looking forward to this one. Flash is one of my favourite Justice League members. I like his humour and light-heartedness especially. Boy, was I disappointed. Flash here is so serious and there was virtually no humour. For the plot, it was pretty boring for the most part delving into ... sheesh, I read this yesterday and am having a hard time even remembering most of it today. So, the plot delves into how his speed works and whether his brain is as fast as his body. The Mob Rule as bad guys was pretty lame but there is a second storyline that comes into play partway through that perked my interest. Captain Cold shows up and references to certain other Rogue members are made. Yeah! Then a very interesting background story is introduced about Gorilla Grodd. While I didn't like (and can hardly remember) the first part, the second part makes me want to keep going with the series and we'll just have to see how it develops. BTW, this is fantastic art by Manapul which helped me get through the boring parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars but he loved it and asked for the second compendium as soon ..., 11 Jan. 2015
My son loves the TV show so Father Christmas got him this. The story is different from the show and some of the elements are a bit grown up, but he loved it and asked for the second compendium as soon as he had finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy, 3 Mar. 2015
I never read a flash story before so I bought this and I would recommend it to anyone who like the character I just bought volume 2 hope it stay as good as this one was

5.0 out of 5 stars Flash Review, 9 Mar. 2015
It is great for those who watch the tv show or are new to comics, it is suspense and as you read the flash become more powerful you will want to carry on reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›