5.0 out of 5 stars I previously reviewed this camera "as awful"
After all the known problems with this camera well documented! I wrote a scathing review due to the lack of customer service.

Published on 16 Mar. 2013 by David Ford

Published 24 months ago by Johnmcl7

2.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality when it works, unfortunately it frequently goes wrong, 31 May 2013
Johnmcl7 "John" (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
The GoPro Hero 3 Black is my first GoPro product which I was drawn for its high resolution video capabilities and as I was getting into mountain biking I quite fancied trying to record some of the trails. The Gopro cameras have a great reputation for this sort of use and the professional reviews of the camera were extremely positive at the time of launch so I was pleased to get the camera shortly after.

Quick edit - there's a fairly serious bug with the timelapse option at the moment, if you use the 0.5 or 1 second interval then auto-exposure doesn't work which makes it completely unusable, I found this out when checking footage I'd taken and many shots were almost completely black due to severe underexposure. GoPro confirmed this is a bug in the current firmware and advise using intervals of two seconds or more until it's fixed, I've put this up at the top in the off chance others might avoid this bug before it ruins their footage.

The contents of the box are a bit disappointing as there's no quick start guide giving you a hand to get started, there's no full manual either but I don't mind not having a hard copy as it's easy enough to download and browse when needed. There's no charger either which I can partially understand as many people now have USB chargers although strangely the Gopro's USB connection is the older mini USB type (possibly because it stays in better) so standard micro USB chargers are no good (ones that won't split apart) plus it's recommended to use a higher current adapter which rules out standard USB chargers and normal USB ports.

As you'd expect there's no memory card in the box nor is there onboard memory, the camera needs a quick memory card and with the higher resolution video settings quickly chewing through memory I'd recommend the Sandisk 32GB microSDHC Ultra class 10 card or something similar. I did initially try a Sandisk 32GB class 4 microSD card I had available but it was too slow as the resulting video suffered bad stuttering.

The interface on the camera is a little tricky to get to grips with as it's very similar to old hardware systems in the 80's and 90's where you have a very basic screen and just two buttons, one is used to select and one is used to change option. Thankfully GoPro provide an excellent app for Android (and I assume IOS) so if you've a suitable device you can directly connect to the GoPro over wifi and configure the settings in a very userfriendly method and then you only really have to choose mode and hit record on the camera which is easy enough. The GoPro app also shows a live preview of what the GoPro is seeing making it easy to adjust the fitting although it's delayed by a few seconds so may not be any use for live purposes. There's a wide array of settings allowing you to set resolution, framerate, field of view (super wide or normal), burst speed, timelapse speed, camera orientation etc. allowing you to set up the camera pretty much exactly as you want. The onboard wifi and being able to get a live feed from the camera saves having to buy an addon screen or wifi as I believe you have to on some of the previous models.

Video quality as you'd expect is generally extremely good with sharp, colourful video and great coverage thanks to the extremely wide field of view the camera offers. Sound is disappointing even with the smaller door, there's two with the camera one of which is for lighter conditions and one is for tougher conditions with the latter trading sound quality for durability. I didn't find the sound particularly great with either so I tend to just stick with the tougher door and add in my own audio afterwards.

The Gopro Hero 3 is compatible with the same mounts as previous cameras which is extremely useful as there's a good range of them offering a wide range of flexibility. The pricing is a bit high for what you get particularly with the helmet mount which is genuinely no more than one small bit of plastic and two straps but on the other hand it works well so I'd rather that than a cheap one which didn't work very well. I've been using the camera while mountain biking over proper rough stuff and there's never been a hint of the camera coming off. On putting the helmet on with the GoPro camera it does feel a bit heavy initially as the camera needs to be in its casing to use the mount but I find once I get going I don't normally notice it.

Unfortunately it's now onto the bad which is the camera's unreliability, I've been pleased with the results when the camera has worked properly but it lets me down on a regular basis which I might accept on a £50 camera but on a near £400 one it's completely unacceptable. I initially thought it was just me and I needed time to get used to the camera but I wasn't making any progress so I assumed I had a faulty unit only to find many other user reviews with exactly the same issues as me. I should note my camera does have the latest firmware (released in April I think) and when I initially bought it at Christmas time I also ensured I'd immediately updated it as a bit of paper in the box recommended.

I've tried a variety of different chargers but performance is inconsistent, sometimes I'll take the camera off the charger and it won't power up at all even though it registered it had power and was able to charge. Sometimes a battery pull will fix this, sometimes not which in the latter case means back on the charger and not being able to use the camera. I haven't tested if they've improved this yet as I don't trust the camera but originally if you took the camera off the charger and left it aside ready for use which is reasonable given li-ion batteries can last a good few months with their small amount of discharge, the battery would discharge very quickly and be dead within a couple of days. I now always leave it on the charger to avoid this happening.

The wifi is a great idea both for configuring the camera and using the little remote control (about the size of a keyfob, has the same buttons and screen as the camera itself) that comes in the box. It does seem a bit better with the latest firmware update but I find the wifi unreliable, sometimes the camera refuses to switch it on claiming it has done so in the settings but the blue light which indicates wifi is on doesn't light up and it can't be seen by wifi devices. The other issue is that it really hammers the batterylife to the degree I never leave it on instead only having it briefly powered up to check or configure settings then straight back off. This makes the remote control useless which is a shame as it feels well designed and would be very useful if you could leave wifi on. Batterylife is around two hours which is pretty usable particularly when the batteries are small and the camera gives an audible set of beeps when the battery is approaching empty but with wifi on I've had as little as half an hour out of it which is no use.

I've had other odd issues where the camera has ignored the settings and reset itself back to default and when the autoexposure has defaulted to far too fast a shutter speed and left with near dark photos as if I was in darkness rather than sunlight. I'm waiting to hear back from GoPro about the latter issue.

Edit - GoPro have replied confirming there is a bug in the firmware which means if you use the 0.5 or 1 second intervals with the timelapse mode, auto-exposure doesn't work which makes these settings unusable as over the longer period of time a timelapse is likely to take there's going to be variances in exposure. Until they fix the firmware, they advise using an interval of two seconds or more.

Firmware updates are surprisingly clumsy as they seem to rely on custom information being added such as the camera's serial number and the wifi settings to produce a custom firmware file to put onto the camera. The website allows you to do this automatically using java but my main PC systems wouldn't let it proceed as they were adamant the site was malware, the manual process is a bit clumsier but it does eventually work.

The obvious question is why not return it which in hindsight I wish I had, at the time I'd bought a couple of mounts for it which I couldn't return and given GoPro's reputation I thought it was just a rough launch with teething issues and given a few months they'd sort out the camera. However in its current state I personally think its unreliability just isn't acceptable, there's obviously differing views on how well the camera works with quite a few positive reviews so I'd recommend more so than usual to have a good look round at a range of reviews of this device to get a good feel for it. For the cost and a company which calls itself GoPro I find it unbelievable how poor the functionality of the camera is, I have used cheap £100 cameras that have worked reliably never mind something approaching £400. What's the most frustrating part is that when the camera does work it can produce some superb footage but it's extremely annoying when you either can't start recording because the camera has screwed up or you get home to find it's completely screwed it up. Since reviving the camera to try the new firmware, I've had it out for three runs - the first it did well on which was encouraging, the second it went completely wrong and reset itself at the start to completely different and unusable settings and on the third run something has gone wrong with the auto-exposure which has completely ruined large sections of the video.

I should perhaps also point out that I feel I'm experienced with imaging products, I currently have a micro 4/3 setup for video, an NEX setup for stills/video and a Nikon FX setup for stills. The issues with the GoPro3 I've had are all very basic ones rather than more complex issues with codecs or similar resulting from inexperience.

I've been looking into alternatives and the Sony Action Camera seems to be an obvious one but while the camera looks pretty good, the mounting options seem poor even just for mounting to a helmet which is unfortunate. They do have a bike mount but watching footage back from the GoPro you realise how much your body acts as suspension so footage from the handlebars would likely be unusably shaky.

5.0 out of 5 stars I previously reviewed this camera "as awful", 16 Mar. 2013
David Ford "4D" (uk) - See all my reviews

Now after an email from a Gopro tech, listing several things to correct my issues, the camera and accessories are working faultlessly. Before you throw yours out the window if yours freezes won't charge, stops recording or any of the many other issues reported; make sure the firmware is updated properly. I thought mine had however it hadn't.

1. Manually download the update don't install java! Follow the instructions on the web site.
2. Save it to your desktop and open the zip file.
3. Drag the unzipped files to the sd card.
4. Wait it takes about 10 minutes to update it should display the percentage.
5. Enjoy your fully functioning Hero 3!!!!

The battery Bac Pac has to be connected to the camera the 1st time you charge it. If you don't it will look like the battery is faulty. Once charged it will charge on its own.

32gb are the best as formatted to fat 32 if you use a 64gb shxc cards they are formatted to ex fat and will not upload to an ipad. Camera will see them and they can be updated to a PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 4K action camera that provides fantastically looking sharp pictures and videos, full of features, 8 Nov. 2014
I received GoPro HERO3+ camera to use it for few days to be able to write review and in general this is best camera you can get for your money.

First of all, it's full of feature that people who are involved in sports or some adventurous discipline will especially appreciate, and with its view field of 170° or 120° enables even to record 4K video at 15 frames per second.

Second, this camera comparing to its previous models and its competition as well, in this price category, regardless of whether it's day or night shooting, is way ahead providing fantastically looking sharp pictures and videos.

Its design wasn't changed a lot, besides it's a bit thinner and lighter, being waterproof and having locking mechanism that is better than in previous models.

The user will have ability to use its mini USB and Micro HDMI ports, the 3.5mm microphone jack is missing, although adapter cable can be additionally bought.
Also the media format has changed, instead of normal SD cards, this new camera edition is using Micro SD cards, with capacity up to the 64GB.

Its operation is still the simplest possible, having only three buttons, one for start/stop shooting, second for settings and menu navigation and the last one for turning Wi-Fi on/off.

It would need lot of space to describe all of its shooting settings, but most important user can choose between 4 shooting modes: Movie, Timelapse, Burst and Still.

Its only drawback is battery life that I was able to use only for about 90 minutes recording at 1080p resolution that is a bit or even much lower than competition.
Therefore purchasing of additional batteries and Battery BakPak is recommended.

GoPro HERO3+ is great action camera, probably the best one ever made, perfect for people who need device that will record their adventurous events.
Therefore I can fully recommend it to all such people taking into account its price and need for additional batteries that still don't reduce the overall excellent impression.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting quirky shots I wouldn't have before!, 29 July 2014
I have been using this little camera for a while now and I am becoming more and more impressed with the things I can do with it! I don't use it is a B camera or as my main camera but as something to get those quirky shots that really give a video a little bit of life. I have chucked it in the canal and thrown it off of bridges and got some weird shots that my DSLR would never get!

It is well built and the water proof casing has not yet broken meaning my camera is still all good!

The one downside is that you may need a little bit of video editing and colour grading knowledge in order to get as good a picture as you see in the GoPro adverts. As their videos have been graded and processed to look the way that they do. Maybe just a little bit or testing before official use can get you on the right track to getting good looking footage. I am sure there are YouTube tutorials one can watch to get ahead of all of this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little action camera, 17 Feb. 2015
Best little sports camera I've had. The casing means I can use it underwater for my scuba diving and its protected from knocks and bumps when skiing and cycling. So many accessories too which means whatever sport you're doing there will be a connector for you. Many recording options too, I mainly use the video mode so that once I've hit record that's it. I have found the photo every so many seconds is very handy. Pretty easy to use as there are only 3 buttons. One to turn the wifi on and off, one to scroll through the menu and one to select of take pictures/record.

Another great feature of this camera is that you can download the gopro app for free and use your phone as a controller. This can be useful if you are on your own and you need to check the angle of the camera on your head or regularly press stop and record. Pretty good battery life but would recommend getting some spare batteries if you intend on filming all day long. Batteries don't last as long in cold weather but I have still managed 5 hours straight video while skiing. Only downside I can really see is the lack of screen, so you can't know if the camera is in the right place for the shot you want. On the plus the GoPro app can act as this and the wide camera angle means you are probably covered. And if you have the money a screen back can be purchased. Finally the wide camera angle means the camera can be quite close yet still get your whole body in the shot. Can be used for photos, timed photos, lapse shots, video and can be wifi controlled. I have been using mine quite often for a couple of years now. Still very happy and am not looking at upgrading as this camera has all my needs covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hesitated, but not lost., 6 Dec. 2013
This is not the sort of thing that I really need. But heck, it's nearly Christmas, so when it came up in the Black Friday sale, I put it into my basket. Then took it out, as it was still more expensive than I had hoped. The item then showed as all sold. Then went back a bit later, and saw that a few other people had obviously done the same, as it there were now only 98% sold. So I decided it was fate, and clicked on buy again. I now have it, and it is very much as expected, takes very high quality video up to 4k and stills up to 12mp. It is incredibly small. When the rest of the bits that I ordered arrive, it will go on my bike, and maybe a quadcopter is on the horizon as well. For the time being, it is going everywhere with me, just for fun.

For anyone reading some of the negative reviews, it seems very well built, simple to operate, and I have had no problem with a Samsung 64GB microSDXC card

5.0 out of 5 stars this might not be your best choice. I really enjoyed it and it was ..., 18 Sept. 2014
Bought it for snorkeling/diving in the Philippines. Works amazingly! Image quality is simply stunning for such a small camera. Both pics and videos have incredible quality, although have in mind that being a gopro the lens is very fish eye-like thus if you want to use it for another purpose than the fish eye effect, this might not be your best choice.

I really enjoyed it and it was really useful in the Philippines. The only thing i was slightly annoyed was that when i dived down to 24m with the gopro, i did not know i'd need a filter in order for the colours to be kept as the original colours being seen. So, when i looked at my videos, all of them came with a dull blue :/ but that was me not knowing :) so for diving, definitely advise to buy a red filter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for surfing and diving, 4 July 2014
I like this camera a lot it came on time and it's wonderful! Just make sure you get the right micro sd card to work with it if you want good quality videos and pictures

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 12 Aug. 2013
amazing, the quality of the images are fantastic ,
the underwater footage is indescribable, would highly recommend it to any one.

1.0 out of 5 stars A frustrating disappointment Have had to deal with 2 issues that have ..., 20 Sept. 2014
A frustrating disappointment

Have had to deal with 2 issues that have ruined my impression of GoPro. Firstly, the wifi would automatically turn on even with the camera was turn off, draining the battery extremely quickly. The only way to prevent this was to remove the battery, which was highly inconvenient with cumbersome ski gloves and impossible when diving. Had to have the camera sent back to GoPro for repair.

Having finally resolved this issue I excitedly bring the camera for my next dive trip. Only when reviewing the photos do I realise that all the photos are absolutely ruined by dead white pixels where the picture is slightly bright. That this problem occurred straight after a repair has compounded my irritation at the product and the company as a whole. Am currently in the midst of email customer service to resolve the issue.

Admittedly GoPro makes spectacular videos. They've got a brilliant marketing and advertisement department but really need to improve the product itself. I feel like I've been made a fool of, being conned by the outstanding branding into purchasing an overpriced dud. Do yourself a huge favour and get one of the many cheaper, less-marketed action-cam alternatives.