5.0 out of 5 stars Back on top
I've had a Solitaire for years. Yeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrrssssss. It tucks in beside my Leatherman nice and snug.
It was always available for having a squint under the stairs or under the sofa.
Then a friend presented me with a LED Lenser V8 which blew the Solitaire out of the water.

I recently found the Solitaire again and considered converting it to LED as...
Published 15 months ago by G. J. Owen

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable
Nice and bright for the size, and easy to carry around in your pocket.
But it wasn't long before it started to not turn on properly. Each time I use it now I have to flick the side with my finger to get it going, or fiddle about with various degrees of twisting it. And no, it isn't the battery going flat, it does this with new batteries as well.
I was very...
Published 5 months ago by G. Parker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on top, 5 Feb. 2014
G. J. Owen (Cleethorpes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maglite Solitaire LED Blisterpack Flashlight (DIY & Tools)
It was always available for having a squint under the stairs or under the sofa.

I recently found the Solitaire again and considered converting it to LED as a project. After a bit of research, this looked to be expensive and most internet torch gurus pointed to just buying the new LED Solitaire.

Wow. This is a seriously bright torch, not just for it's size but in comparison with many hand-held examples.

The LED Lenser is now lying beside my original Solitaire and the LED Solitaire is my new 'chosen one'.

The only downside is the battery life - under 2 hours with a 'copper coloured top' in - but AAA are easy enough to find if you need a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb keyring torch, 19 April 2014
I've owned Maglites torches since 1990 and this included a long lost Solitare Incandescent.
It was nice, and practical but far too dim for this day and age.

I understood Maglite were releasing an LED version which promised to rectify the light output
issue. Even so my keyring torch (a Fenix E15) was doing me-until the battery ran out yet again.

So I spotted this at a bargain tenner and decided to buy it. And what a great buy!

It retains all the advantages of the original Solitaire, such as sturdy build, AAA battery source
(No expensive CR123A's to go flat without warning) candle mode where the head can be removed
and the unit placed in it (ideal for illuminating say a small tent), and a flood-to-spot option simply
by twisting the head.

The biggest improvement is in the beam. 37 Lumens as opposed to the original 2 lumens.
A nice beam which is the right colour, right intensity for close up work and has the very
useful spot to flood. It also has just the right spread.

The LED part has revolutionised a design almost 35 years old which is one Mag Instruments got right first time.

So far, this torch is proving a superb little unit and at the price I paid for it has got to be one of the best bargains I've come across in ages.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maglite Solitaire LED Torch, 1 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Maglite Solitaire LED Blisterpack Flashlight (DIY & Tools)
With the LED, this torch is now many times brighter that the original Solitaire and is more than adequate for everyday uses. It takes a single AAA battery, which are cheap and easy to obtain, and it is very small (8cm long), so can be attached to a keyring. Due to it's size, if not attached to a keyring, I would recommend a wrist strap (not provided but can be purchased or made from a length of thin cord), to avoid dropping it. Reasonable price at the £10 I paid, but too expensive at the full price of £20.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 30 Nov. 2014
G. Parker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maglite Solitaire LED Blisterpack Flashlight (DIY & Tools)
Nice and bright for the size, and easy to carry around in your pocket.
I was very pleased when I first got it, but not now.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this little torch, 4 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Maglite Solitaire LED Blisterpack Flashlight (DIY & Tools)
I love this little torch. The battery lasts well and i managed to almost blind myself with it the first time i turned it on. The twist to turn on function is my favourite aspect of this torch, as it lives in my pocket all the time, it will never get turned on accidentally.
The one worry i have about it is that the lens does not feel very strong and my keys might pop it out. This has not happened yet and may not.

4.0 out of 5 stars "The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long...", 15 July 2014
This review is from: Maglite Solitaire LED Blisterpack Flashlight (DIY & Tools)
Pretty good. It's bright and the perfect everyday carry torch. The light doesn't last too long however it takes a standard AAA battery so good to go wherever you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly bright, 6 Jun. 2014
R. McCoy (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maglite Solitaire LED Blisterpack Flashlight (DIY & Tools)
What a difference to the old Solitaire, this Maglite is seriously bright by comparison and focusable too. Maglite claim 1 hour 45 minutes which to me is very good for the light output. Construction is identical to the previous Solitaire, except for the LED head. Maglite are catching up with modern technology now and as always their torches are built to last. A good purchase and I'm looking forward to using it in the dark winter nights when they arrive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 28 May 2014
Crikey it's bright when turned on! Awesome power and brightness - size really isn't important...miles better than the incandescent ones (old bulbs).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good LED update for classic Solitaire, 30 April 2014
James Burnwood "JB" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
There are a number of these AAA small key chain sized lights on the market now and maglite were perhaps late to the party with updating their classic solitaire model to LED. The old incandescent version was only two lumens. This new LED version is 37 lumens, a massive upgrade in brightness levels in comparison. So that's 37 lumens and a run time of 1hr45mins on a single tripple A battery, which is a good compromise. It's a good bright medium level setting. You can focus the beam a bit, from being a thrower with a round hotspot to more of a flood without one. This light is definitely bright enough to see your way ahead on a muddy path and get you home in the dark. Tripple A batteries are cheap and this little torch fits nicely on a keyring with your house and car keys. Always there when you need it.

3.0 out of 5 stars The item is much smaller than I anticipated and I ..., 13 Mar. 2015
The item is much smaller than I anticipated and I don't recall its dimensions having been stated. it uses only one AAA battery. The switching-on method appears less than positive than with other torches that I have bought over the years. I would never buy another of this type.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›