4.0 out of 5 stars Simple household networking.
Works well across house. No problem across different household circuits. Don't expect 500 Mbps though. 170 to 200 is what Zi have achieved. A big improvement over WiFi though.
Published 10 months ago by PMR68

3.0 out of 5 stars Cannot co-exist with Netgear HDX101
Was told by Netgear that these can co-exist with my current HDX101 network but that was not the case. It interferes with my current network. They are no faster than my current product! I had to return the product for a full refund. Amazon after sale service is great. Will buy a used replacement so I can still u
Published 12 months ago by DR N

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple household networking., 27 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Solution - One (Very, very) Minor Disappointment, 5 April 2013
I would have given these adapters 4.5 stars if I could. The Netgear Powerline adapters are slim [approximately as wide as a British Standard 13Amp plug] shallow and well made pair of network extenders. As I do with most reviews, feedback is offered as a series of positive and negative observations:-

Positives
1. These are seriously fast. I would need to run some proper speed tests [and if I can figure out how to do that reliably, I will] but they are decently quick. I have a late-generation Mac Mini in one room, and a QNAP NAS 2 rooms away: these adapters were able to comfortably stream 1080P HD Video footage, without jitter, lag or flaw, and that means that inter-room video streaming should work flawlessly.
2. They really are trivially easy to set up [i.e. plug them in to active mains sockets; wait (briefly)]. I haven't tried extending a network to more devices, but I can't imagine it will be more complicated, and point-to-point is simple.
3. They are compact in size and shape. If you locate one in a living space and/or in view, it won't look out of place. It's about the same size as a computerized timer switch. They are also made from a robust molded plastic, so I have every expectation they will survive attacks from enthusiastic vacuum cleaners...
4. They also offer their own mains socket integrated into the front face. This means that you don't lose a mains point, which is very convenient if you don't have a surplus and want to avoid having to resort to a 4-way extension block. That's a useful, thoughtful addition.

Negative
1. This isn't really fair... I'm offering this as a negative but I'm not sure it really qualifies. The Ethernet port is situated on the top edge of these units - you can see it on the Amazon product photograph. In my case I have routed my Ethernet cables under the edge of a carpet and would have been happier if the sockets were on the underside [maybe a second on the base?] since I now have to loop extra cable "up and over" to reach the top surface. [ Note: If you want decent network speeds, *don't* allow tight bend radius turns in your RJ45 cabling, since this causes the copper conductor in the cable to distort [technical term: necking] which degrades the performance of your patch chord. In slower - i.e 100Mb/s ] gear, you won't notice the difference, but with these running at 500Mb/s, you certainly will... For that reason the Ethernet port on the top surface is significant, because it means you have to be very careful about the way your cables reach these adapters...

You'll probably agree that marking these down for the location of the Ethernet port is a bit harsh, and I accept that, but these really are *that* good I can find nothing else to quibble over.

Great product, would buy more without hesitation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cannot co-exist with Netgear HDX101, 18 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars So simple to install even I did it without asking for help!!!!, 21 Nov 2012
Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Netgear XAVB5201 500 Powerline Adapter Kit for me is a must have for when I wanted to extend my internet connection to my the electrical socket where my television was plugged in to enable the many channels now offered such as BBCi Player etc.
The Netgear Powerline adapter actually speeds up to 500 Mbps to enable applications such as HDTV, online gaming etc. though different homes will have variable internet speeds but no matter what speed of internet you have these plugs will enable your devices to connect to the internet for you to use the many new channels on your games console or television.
Why I liked this set of plugs so much was due to the fact that it really was a matter of plugging in the adapter to the electric socket attach one (using the leads provided) to your electrical device which you want enabled and one to your internet modem or hub. There was no software to be installed and what made these plugs convenient they actually showed what electrical socket was more suitable by the middle light showing three different colours and they are as follows:-
1. Green: Link rate > 80 Mbps(Best)
2. Amber: Link rate> 50 Mbps and <80 Mbps (roughly jumps between these two speeds)Still good but just not as strong
3. Red: Link rate < 50 Mbps (good) still receiving a good connection but at a lower rate.
They provide the above information that you are enabled to get the best performance possible from your adapters and this for me was an added bonus.
I found with my internet connection at different times of day I received different rates but stayed mainly amber and moving down to red at around 6pm-10pm. I was still able to do what I wanted, films still play smoothly and games on my Wii were running at a good speed.
There is also a security attachment which is a quick click of a small button positioned at the bottom left hand corner this can be done but not necessary, if you want to do this it must be done after you plug in the adapter. The small button must be pressed for 2 seconds for each plug and within 2 minutes of each other.
One important note is that the powerline devices are not plugged into an extension cord or surge protector they must be plugged directly into the electrical socket to be able to receive the best internet speed for your own enjoyment mainly as the higher the speed the devices will work better and lesson the buffering which so far I have not been troubled with.
Also provided through NETGEAR is websites where you register your product and also provide a lot of helpful information for the adapters.
I highly recommend the Netgear Powerline 500 Mbps Adapter XAVB5201 as an excellent adapter to enable internet connections for your many devices which are now able to connect to the internet. The main reason for this is the simple act of plugging and playing and I was able to connect my television to my favourite channels online and also because I was able to add other adapters to the other electrical sockets made sure my internet connection flowed freely throughout the home without any difficulties whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Would Recommend., 8 Oct 2013
I was initially tempted by the slightly cheaper TP Link 500Mb adapters. What a mistake that was. I spent an entire weekend trying to coax 3 TP Link adapters to work consistently. I finally discovered that there is a fault in the TP Link firmware that blocks DLNA traffic.
Add to that the fact that they randomly lost connection with each other and the decision to return them was a no brainer.
The irony was that for the previous 5 years I had used two 200Mb Netgear adapters without any problems. Because of their age, they were not compatible with newer, faster adapters so had to be replaced.

Ordered these Netgears as a replacement for the returned TP links and what a difference. I literally just plugged them in and they worked. I can stream 1080p video with 5.1 surround sound from my NAS upstairs to TV's in the living room and bedroom without a hiccup. No DLNA issues and no random disconnects.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great in theory - poor in practice, 27 April 2013
These are certainly not cheap but they do appear solid and well made. They do connect on a plug and play basis - unless you try and switch on the encryption in which case you may end up with the dreaded yellow triangle and the 'unidentified network' message. Having been there before with other home plugs I know what a life-shortening exercise trying to trouble shoot it can be - so I just reset all the units to the factory default and they worked.

Have to agree with the other reviewer about the location of the RJ45 port on the top - very odd placement. The big plus is that you can stick these in the wall socket and then plug your extension block into it, because mains networking works far more effectively on an unfiltered signal so avoid plugging into multi adapters, four gangs and other such extension leads.

Is it quicker than my old (85mbps) set up? Yes certainly for some stuff, noticeably so; but streamed video and ODTV is probably where you notice the real difference.

Netgear build quality so no problems there but a star off for the dud encryption which I could not get to work.

Update - I have decided to update my review and revise the star rating based on a few weeks of use. I have had endless problems with these devices (and I have been successfully using homeplugs for years). The issue is not the speed, although that can be lamentable at times, it's the latency. The signal seems to drop temporarily and then come back again - it's akin to being on dial up at times. I have tried everything: encrypting, resetting, changing to different sockets, with and without pass through, even different RJ45 cables and have come to the conclusion that these are just not fit for purpose. A stroll round a few web forums suggests I am not alone. Netgear kit has always been solid, dependable kit in my experience but these are being uninstalled and returned to the shop for a refund after six weeks of networking hell. I really have had enough and I cannot recommend these based on my experience. My old Newlink 85Mbps homeplugs give a faster and more dependable service than these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad, 12 July 2013
R. BROAD (UK) - See all my reviews
Bought two sets of these to be able to include a Netgear WiFi adaptor to extend the range of my BT Infinity set up which currently using 3 Arcnet powerline adaptors. Although the Arcnet worked fine - the Netgear WiFi extender adaptor would not work with them. As I needed three adaptors plus the WiFi extender adaptor I bit the bullet and boulght two sets of AV+500 Netgear adaptors (four in total).

The first set of two worked brilliantly - much faster speed than Arcnet and stable BUT when I added one from the second set the whole set up stopped working and no PowerLine could be detected. The second set of two also worked together - but not when a third was added.

I spent - in total - three hours on the phone to Netgear support - very nice gentleman who was very helpful - I attempted all of his suggestions (resets, different pairings, security resets etc etc etc) - all to no avail.

Netgears conclusion was that these should all work together - but for some reason they did not - and I should return them to the retailer for a refund - they gave me a case number to quote.

Now the wierd thing - I had previously purchased the Netgear XAVNB2001 range extender kit which comprised of one XAVN2001 WiFi range adaptor and one XAV1301 mini-adaptor. Before returning the adaptors I plugged these in and they worked fine with the AV+500 Nano Adaptors.

Hence the Netgear system works very well with 500 adaptors from the router and to the PC, a 200 adaptor for YouView and a 200 WiFi adaptor to cover the upstairs (BT HomeHub range is poor). In fact this is the best network setip that I have experienced and is very pleasing.

BUT the system will not work with three or four 500+ adaptors - no reason given by Netgear other than they must be faulty and should be returned to the retailer for refund.

Hence 3 star rating - the overall Netgear system is very good - but not with items that should work together but did not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works okay under difficult conditions, 10 Dec 2013
I'm writing this review to clarify working conditions for which I found it hard to confirm whether it would work or not under before buying this product.

This product works for me when each end of the kit is on a separate ring circuit, where each ring circuit is protected by its own RCBO (combined MCD and RCD) device. I've actually made it harder than that because one end of the pair is also connected to an extension lead that is plugged into the output of an uninterruptible power supply. So to summarise I have this working connecting through an extension lead, through a UPS and through 2 RCBOs. Admittedly, I'm getting less than 50Mb/s but hey I'm actually quite surprised it works at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a revelation!, 8 Mar 2013
I have been dissatisfied with the speed I am getting via our downstairs router, which was linked via 200mbps Powerline to the upstairs BT Infinity modem. Although I should be getting about 42mbps, and do when connected directly upstairs, I was averaging more like 20mbps. I thought I would try to improve things by substituting these. Bandwidth immediately increased to 40mbps to the internet, and considerably more to my NASs and printer upstairs. I have now converted whatever I can to gigabit ethernet. Some legacy equipment is only 10/100mbps anyway but one server was already gigabit, and improving the spine of the Powerline network immediately improved connectivity.

Setup is simplicity itself. Plug the units into the mains side by side, press the link button on one for two seconds, then the same on the other and wait for them to connect. You can then unplug both and move them to their final locations. Setup of further units is just as easy, but use the original unit to start the linkage to avoid problems. They linked to my old 200mbps units with no problems.

The arrangement I have is as follows, but you can have a simpler arrangement. The simplest is with one unit connected to your router and the other to your computer's LAN socket. As I wanted WiFi elsewhere, I did this.

* Gigabit hub plugged into modem/router.
* File servers, printer and unit 1 plugged into hub
* Unit 2 plugged into second gigabit hub downstairs
* Second WiFi router and AV equipment plugged into second downstairs hub

As the second router was a DSL router, I plugged its WAN port into the hub and it creates its own separate NAT IP network.

So, 200mbps is SO yesterday, and roll on gigabit ethernet over mains!

(Mind you, my house is probably now a radio transmitter visible from Mars!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I would have bought them long time ago!!!, 11 April 2014
As I said, I wish I would have bought them long time ago!!!

I've got a stupid USB related WiFi issue with Windows 8.1 (if you Google it, you'll find tons of people with the same problem), basically it doesn't work very well with high USB workloads, causing connection droppings every moment.

I tried to change adaptors, router, cables, I also have bought few WiFi extenders/repeaters, but nothing changed! The problem was (is) inside the OS, not on any of those hardwares. But, I couldn't downgrade to Windows 7, due to several working reasons.

Even passing an ethernet cable was not viable to me, since I would have had a lot of mess to do, with more than 50m to cover.

So, I was looking to buy a new router, to use it as a wireless bridge, but I knew that doing it, I would have halved connection speed. Multiplied for several machines, it would have been a total backward.

"Where is the point of paying for a fibre optic broadband connection to work on it as a 56k modem?" I asked myself.

Then, I was skeptic about these little gadgets, since I always read people complaining about their reliability, or their connections, or their velocity. And last but not least, since my house is veeeeeeeery old, having electric cables passed since decades, DEFINITELY not the best situation for the PowerLine technology.

But, as a last chance, I decided to give them a try to avoid the "wirelessly-bridging-halving-speed" solution. At least I would have had the same slower speed but without messing up with a new dumb router used as bridge and kilometers of cables.

So I started looking around on the web for some benchmarks or comparisons of these little gadgets, since I knew almost nothing about the best brands or their top-working-speeds! Also to find out which was the best value-for-money, and the best reliable connection as possible, given that I was really really really upset having these troubles since when I moved to Windows 8.1.

I was looking for a "more-than-500mbps-with-a-Gigabit-ethernet-port-possibly-under-50-reliable-powerline-adaptors-kit".

Well, I've found out that the Devolo Powerlines are the best out there, but they are priced around 150 for a pair!!! (And I never heard about Devolo brand before!!!) There are a lot of well-saying about the ZyXel's speeds and reliability, but I have also read that their management software is a crap! And other ZyXel hardwares are not so good. And they cost around 50.

I would have avoided TP-LINK since to me is simply the worst networking brand out there, having had several problems with their hardwares/softwares/drivers in the past. I also tried to have a look on Linksys/Cisco stuff, not Linksys/Belkin, but right now they are slower than other companies, or they are getting worse than before thanks to Belkin cheapness philosophy. So I had to say bye to my Linksys hopes. Very sad to see the best company out there sold to an ambitious chinese cheapy company. NETGEAR was my initial second preferred brand just after Linksys/Cisco, for obvious reasons of their reliability, support, and well-known reputation out there. Cisco (Linksys) and NETGEAR are basically "Professional Networking" solutions since ages. With Linksys out of the game, NETGEAR seemed to be the only one viable, BUT the tests about their powerlines are not so outstandings, putting them in the crowd, with not special selling characteristics.

So I was with three options:

1) give a try to the expensive unknown Devolo for about 150
2) give a try to fight with the ZyXel software for about 50
3) or going to have a well known brand but nothing special product, for a price of just 34.

I had some calculations about price/speed parameters, and I decided to go for NETGEAR, hoping to have a good reliable product at a reasonable price. The other two options were not giving that-kind-of-difference to justify such amount of money. I don't care to have just 0.5Mb/s faster connections for a doubled or a +100 price.

I definitely had the best thought of all my life. Or maybe just of all 2014 till now. (Just kidding)

It was AMAZINGLY STUPID to install them, I was worried about, having read people not having a proper sync or simply faulty adaptors, but they connected IMMEDIATELY with all the 3 LEDs on a green light just after pressing the "security button" for less than 5 seconds to connect them securely, and my first thought was: "Ok, they are broken". It was too fast, nothing blinked. Weird.

I turned on one of my Windows PCs, tried the connection, and suprisingly it was WORKING!!!

Even my 3 years old son could install them!!! Just plugging, press the button for 3-4 secs, and it works. No "10 minutes" waitings as written in the instructions (I guess is a sort of exageration from Netgear, to have people trusting their ability to build up a proper connection).

In the end, I said : "ok, let's give them a test on speedtest.net" (I did it before several times, my speed was around 20-35 Mb/s with just 1 machine on, I'm on BT Infinity with fibre optic, I should be around 76 MB/s...............)

Well, the test said 75,6 Mb/s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 75,6 Mb/s (megabytes / second) = 604,8 Mbps (megabit per second), when they are sold to be 500 mbps... is more than +20%!

I would like to show you my result, because to me is U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E !!! Have a look here: speedtest.net/result/3432081118.png

Given that, I tried to turn on all of my machines, leaving them downloading or streaming something as usual during the working time, and then, NOTHING CHANGED! Got the same results! S-I-M-P-L-Y-A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!

So, basically, with just 34, a price of a mid-range router, using a 40 (?) years old electric network, I had gained a doubled final speed, with no drops, a finely software to set a personal password up, thanks to one of the best brand out there!!!

I know I could have been lucky, I don't think that all the people are stupid because they are very easy to install, but I thought that just 8 bad reviews on more than 180 is just a reasonable percentage of risk, given that sometimes people is exagerating with their anger behind a display. It's too easy to destroy a product just basing on moment emotions. I know that, I'm always getting the reviews on this way. They can be broken by some high-voltage peak discharges, dusty socket with static electricity, in the end they are full power adaptors with really tiny electronics on. It's unbelievable that the 10% is broken by default. I can trust on 1-5% max. of dead-on-arrival percentage.

And know, I'm enjoying my fastest-ever-connection thanks to NETGEAR, that with just the price of a dinner, changed my life!!!

As I said in the beginning, I wish I would have bought them long time ago. Even before Win 8.1 came out.

Cheers!