4.0 out of 5 stars Humax Freesat HDR 1000S review from a happy Sky customer
I have had this box for 2 months now and previously had Sky+ for 5 years so will be making comparisons to that. I have never had any glitches or problems my Humax Freesat HDR 1000s box and am pleased with my purchase. Also to note I was happy with the Sky+ box and Sky customer service.
Published 5 months ago by Paul

I thought I'd post an update as although my box initially worked okay, recent firmware updates have meant I can no longer carry out any recordings. Ironically the firmware updates were released to fix the many bugs people had been experiencing with these units since they were released.

Sadly even though I've had this box for several months there are still many...
Published 22 months ago by L Thornton

4.0 out of 5 stars Humax Freesat HDR 1000S review from a happy Sky customer, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: HDR-1000S Freesat HD+ 500GB Satellite PVR with Free Time EPG & SD Channels (Electronics)
I am writing this review in part to correct some of the misinformation I have read in previous reviews when I was considering buying this.
* I have found the record and series link features to be faultless I have never missed the beginning or the end of any shows. (In fact I find them better than Sky+ in that with Sky I often found I had to fast forward to the start of shows, whereas the Humax starts much nearer to the beginning of the programme). You can (as with Sky) record either from the programme itself or from the guide, and are prompted to either record single programme or entire series. Also offered is the option to record in HD if you prefer. I like this feature, e.g. if you are on EPG and selecting to record a series on SD channel BBC4 it pops up would you like to record in HD.
* You can watch a previous recording whilst recording two channels and you can watch On demand, e.g. iPlayer whilst recording something.
* The layout of the channels is better than Sky. I find I watch HD channels more as there are not spread randomly all over the place; plus there is a nice feature that if you turn to e.g. BBC1 a message pops up offering you to automatically go to BBC1HD if you press ok. This is a nice feature; would be good if it happened on Channel 4 to 4HD as well. In addition you don't have to scroll through the countless number of blue screen channels that you're not subscribed to that you had to on Sky.
* Added to the improved channel layout, you can also edit channels. This means that you can delete channels that you don't watch or don't want.
* The box can also be switched to receiver only mode if you want to watch the sort of free-to-air channels you get on Sky. But really how many teleshopping channels does one man need.
* This box has all of the catch-up on demand channels. I.e. BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 (plus YouTube)
* I often watch things on BBC iPlayer, usually in HD and have always found the quality great with no lag or buffering. You can fast forward and pause direct from the remote buttons. (For reference my internet speed is 35 meg)
* Added to this is the Freetime feature which I had not heard of until I was buying a Freesat box. This is useful in that you can access on demand TV through the guide rather than having to search and go in and out of each channels individual iplayer. I like this Freetime feature but would not recommend upgrading an existing Freesat box just for this.
* If you are watching a programme for e.g. 10 minutes and then decide to record it, it records the programme from when you started watching (i.e. the same as Sky+) and not only from the point you press record.
* I have a 32" TV (not some big 40"+ telly) and the TV guide (EPG) is very clear and easy to read. I would say the layout and feel is slightly better and more modern than the dated Sky interface.
* The TV guide (EPG) comes up straight away; there is no lag or delay when scrolling down or forward through channels and programmes. (I am using a standard 2 satellite feed left over from my Sky days).
* I can only make this comparison for my TV which is a 32" Sharp, but for me the HD quality of the Humax Freesat is marginally better than Sky+ however the SD quality of channels is marginally worse. (These differences are only slight and I am fussy when it comes to images).
* The box is very quiet (I've never noticed it) and has no overheating issues.
* I find it is a bit too easy to delete things. Once something is deleted it's gone and putting `keep' next to a programme doesn't make a difference to manual deleting. Plus you get the option to delete whole series in one go. Oops my 5 year old just deleted the whole series I was saving up. Hasn't happened yet but I do feel that `keep' should actually do something, as it used to on Sky before they introduced the deleted folder.
* I do agree with other reviews in that the time to start up from standby is quite long. Not as long as booting up a computer, but not as quick as Sky+. In fact you can even programme a timer to switch it on each morning at e.g. 7 am, so clearly even Humax are aware of this.
* Also the remote. Some of the buttons do make an annoying clicking noise when you press them. This is particularly noticeable when scrolling through the TV guide or channels. And unlike Sky you can't programme it to change the volume of your telly which I found a nice feature.
* Would be nice if it had Netflix or Amazon Prime in the On Demand selection. Older reviews suggested this may be coming, however as of 2014 it did not. (Of course the Sky+ box does not have these either).
* Sky had the feature of going straight to the previous recorded programme you were watching by pressing play. I have not found an equivalent on Humax so you have to go in to recordings each time.
* In conclusion if you need to leave Sky for cost, internet speed etc. then I would recommend the Humax Freesat HDR 1000S. If you are the sort of person who records and keeps lots of HD programmes, may be worth considering the 1TB model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat unit, 24 Oct 2013
I had considered Sky multi-room or a Freesat option. In the end, opted for Freesat as there is no subscription and with this unit there is recording and pause capability.

The Humax is not the cheapest option out there but after reading lots of expert and online reviews this cam up as the best though not perfect option. I have to say I'm quite impressed by it. Worked straight out of the box with a fast auto tune and network setup. Picture clarity is better than terrestrial and the live pause works well. Recording is easy to set up from the EPG on a single or series record option. The recorded programmes are also crystal clear.

So I can't think of anything I'd want more in a Freesat box. Except their Anderoid phone control app doesn't work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product but could be improved., 16 Jan 2014
Denis Smyth "Aghalee Blue" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
After 20 years of paying for Sky, I decided that the time had come to cancel Sky and go with Freesat.
After a lot of research I chose this Humax box and so far I am pleased with it. Delivery from Amazon with very quick.
It looks good, TV guide is very good and I am happy with picture Quality. It was also easy to set up.
Some things could be improved, such as the Humax portal were you can access apps online but it is very limited. YouTube could do with a better set up.. I connected by Wifi to my router using a Edimax dongle costing £9.99 delivered instead of a Humax dongle costing £30 and it works a treat...So a good saving..
Being able to use all the On demand catchup sites for BBC, ITV (Not Northern Ireland) CH4 & 5 is great.
You can play your own files via the front USB port and it happily played my photos and video clips transferred from my PC by pen drive..
Sound quality, I am not yet convinced but time will tell.. TIP: don't set the volume on the Humax box to full!
Like every product on the market there is always Pros & Cons and I am happy with my purchase. Remember you can extend your warranty to 2 years by registering the product ID on the Humax website..

4.0 out of 5 stars A little scaled back actually, 14 Nov 2012
Comparison between FOXSAT-HDR & HDR-1000s
==========================================

What's Better
-------------
1. Ubiquitous remote control sensor
2. Management of channels in TV guide (i.e delete unwanted channels)
3. Recording is so much easier now, many more opportunities to do it
4. Organisation of your recordings has improved a bit
5. Much better menu design, less navigating/button pressing
6. Aesthetically improved menu design, cleaner, fresher.
7. Search system has developed greatly; real-time results, HD/SD channel differentiation
8. Check mini now/next menu on the fly without detracting from your viewing
9. Light "click" satisfaction on remote control buttons, rather than sponge/spring pressing
10.Programmed skip button durations are shown visually on-screen when used
11.Official channel logos in programme guide

What's Worse
------------
1. No bookmarking of recordings (terrible blow)
2. Painfully slow channel changing (about 1.5 seconds)
3. Uglier remote control with less direct function buttons
4. No slow motion playback
5. UFO box shape
6. Nothing can really sit on top (delicate finish & small size)
7. The power on intro screen is OTT at about 20 seconds.

-----------------
General critique
-----------------
No built-in Wi-Fi for Free-Time function?!! only Ethernet.
Still will not record the full program if you suddenly press record mid-program.
No ability to trim recordings.
No ability to password protect recordings.
Your recordings list has "wrap" menu navigation. This is very annoying & unnecessary.
All menu listings are limited to about 7 items, then you must advance page - tedious.
Overall though, still a vast improvement over the FOXSAT-HDR, but much more work needed to get back to 9150T standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars great pvr not missing sky at all !, 8 Jan 2014
this unit is fantastic , the only small bad points are

the remote control is not programmable so you wont be able to switch your tv on/off as you can with sky , not sure why humax have left this option off the remote as I know for sure that their freeview (terrestrial youview) box has this option on the remote .
easy to overcome this by getting a 1 for all remote control .

wifi is not built in and the humax wifi adapter is overpriced , however if you get yourself an Edimax Ew-7711UAN adapter at half the price it will plug straight in and work a treat ..

to easy to accidently delete recorded programmes , hit 1 button on the remote and a full series can be wiped .hopefully future updates in firmware will sort this all that's needed is an extra alert to say 'delete are you sure ' !...

apart from these minor issues I'm more than happy .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture quality and more besides, 15 May 2013
Scott Barnett "scottabarnett" (Edinburgh UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a replacement box for Sky+ HD after getting fed up with spending money on a monthly subscription which I didn't use. My review is therefore somewhat comparative.

Installation took all of ten minutes. I disconnected the dish cables from my sky box and connected them in turn to the Humax. Ethernet, HDMI and power cable followed and I switched it on. Immediately I was taken to the installation wizard which is clear and speedy. After entering my postcode (so you get regional TV) I was up and running.

The picture quality is stunning - even better than Sky in my opinion. HD is superb and not as sharp as Sky's which gives a smoother picture with no loss of detail. You can of course adjust sharpness on your TV but with my existing settings this is better.

The interface is slick and works well - it doesn't feel cheap at all and is well thought out. It's different from Sky's but not better or worse. I like it since as they say, a change is as good as a rest. I saw some negative comments about the remote but I really like it. The buttons are positive and it fits better in the hand than the Sky one. It also controls volume on the box itself which I like since my TV sound is routed through my hi-fi.

Freesat have still to come up with the goods with 4OD and Five on Demand for Freetime but that's not Humax's fault. iPlayer and ITV Player work really well. 4OD is now expected in June 2013.

There are a number of built in apps - the youtube one is great and you can pair it with your mobile to search for and play videos on the TV. Very nifty. There is also the option to play content from a USB drive connected locally or via a DNLA server - my NAS box (hard drive connected to the network) was recognised and movies played straight away. My PS3 is now being moved to the study for gaming and streaming and now can be retired from the lounge.

As a straight Sky replacement, this is worth the money. I paid £220 on Amazon, cheaper than John Lewis by £40. Register with Humax for a free year's extension to the one year warranty. Well done Humax, let's see what more goodies this box can bring with firmware updates. It's a brilliant start!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Replacement for Sky, 11 Jun 2014
Bought this as a replacement for sky HD as many others have. Slight step down in quality as the picture isn't as "nice" as sky's but for free can't complain. Plugged it in and away you go. On demand took 5mins to realise I was connected. Capacity is huge. I love the feature that you can copy media from a HDD USB to the internal HDD which makes it so much quicker. Just linked it to my NAS setup using nas4free and switched on the dlna function and away I went accessing all files from there. I'm now all media's up and in 6months will have my money back I would have spent on sky. Get a 2 year warranty which is helpful to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "free to air "of all !!!! Quality product, 6 Aug 2013
Need something to replace SKY
This is it
500Gb Hard drive
Auto Update
Series Link with 8 day EPG
The remote is very eay to use

1.0 out of 5 stars Started off okay but recent firmware updates have killed mine, 2 Nov 2012
L Thornton (Leeds) - See all my reviews

Sadly even though I've had this box for several months there are still many issues and the addition of 5od and 4 on demand (promised by Christmas) haven't materialised. If the box worked I wouldn't have any second thoughts recommending it but as it stands it's not fit for purpose and I would look elsewehere. To add insult to injury Humax support is terrible and they give the impression they couldn't care less once they have your cash!

2.0 out of 5 stars Review on the box not the seller, 15 April 2013
I had high hopes for this box and have recently left Sky after many years as it was becoming too expensive, also didn't actually purchase from here but Humax direct, so this is not a reflection on this seller.

First impression
Didn't mind the look of it, made a change from the normal boring box's you get, although it did have a cheep plastic feel to it.
From the moment I turned it on the software always seemed like it was labouring and the start animation was a little juddered.
Set up was simple enough, I'm very familiar with A/V equipment, took a long time to find the channels and at first it refused to acknowledge that the Ethernet cable was plugged in, had to take it out and put it back in again.
picture was good on both HD and SD, on a par with the Sky box.
Remote control was cheep looking and didn't feel that responsive, it felt quite a long remote and not that comfortable to use..
Quite often said that there was no signal to the second input, but I assume this is another software issue as the functions still worked.

Using the box
It kind of went down hill from here onward
Bringing up the EPG was quite slow, Changing channel was painfully slow, the Sky box was almost instant. Searching through channels was also very slow and again always seemed laboured and nothing smooth about the operation.
Some of the functions on the remote either worked or they didn't ie: bringing up the list view.
It did record everything I asked it to and the timed recordings worked well, my biggest gripe was there was no indication on the box if anything was recording.

Content
Every time I went to use the BBC Iplayer and other features it always said I was not connected to broadband, it was always connected but I would have to take the Ethernet cable out and put it back in again and then it would work, I ended up using the BBC Iplayer on my Samsung tv instead.

Good
Quite liked the look of the box
No Sky subscriptions
Good picture in both HD and SD

Bad
*Painfully slow EPG
*Second signal input often showed as no signal (signal fine when tested with other equipment)
*More often than not it showed as having no Ethernet connection, although it was plugged in, again tested with other equipment and the connection was fine. I had to unplug the Ethernet and then plug back in each time to use the on demand features!
*When you press the EPG, you can then press "list" button and go to favourites and other things quickly, well in theory, this seemed to either work or not, Very frustrating!!
*No wifi, but I knew this anyway
*Remote appears very cheap and uncomfortable.

I would imagine that all the above are software related and they will probably sort them out at some point, but I don't feel that paying £250 for something with software this buggy is right, felt like a Beta tester!!
Humax really need to concentrate on the OS issues before adding any more functions, what's the point in having an all singing/dancing box if the basics don't work properly.
Sorry Humax, but this was a huge let down, Now gone back to Sky with my tail between my legs!