For the record - only 4 stars as I've only had this a very short time so haven't had a chance for a proper field test. This is based upon just 24 hours use but I had to share.

Published 6 months ago by Garf

3.0 out of 5 stars Good power boost but short lifespan...
Bought one of these in May and have been well chuffed until recently, with phone lasting all day with heavy use and still having around 30% at end of day.
Unfortunately, for the last few weeks its been needing charged again after 6 hours, roughly the same as old standard battery, which is disappointing for a product with an 18 month guarantee.
Will update if...
Published 9 months ago by A. Carnegie

5.0 out of 5 stars Skip straight to the update at the end of the review first...., 6 Feb 2014
Garf "I was born at a very early age. I read... (Essex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AnkerŪ 4400mAh Extended Battery with Dark Blue Cover for Samsung Galaxy S3 S III, GT-I9300, fits EB-L1G6LLU, with NFC/Google Wallet Compatibility [18-Month Warranty] (Electronics)

Right out of the box, the battery went in perfectly, with no issues and was a very secure fit with no need to even think about forcing it into place. The cover snapped on and did so in such a way as to make me feel it came with the phone originally. No gaps, no overhang, just a perfect secure fit. Very bulky in comparison to the original pebble slim cover and tiny battery, no polite way to say this. My phone is now fat. I like it, it makes the phone feel so much more substantial and less likely to slip out of my hands and it still fits all the pockets I would normally carry it in. Jeans pockets will be out though, I know that already but no problem.

So how does it work so far? I charged it up, other folks say the same here - it is NOT the quick charge option by any means. It's a big battery with a huge capacity so it takes its sweet time and chews its food properly, but once it's there...ye gods! Once charged to 100%, I left it for a further hour (I normally do with new batteries) and unplugged it.

It sat overnight doing it's own thing connected to my WiFi, taking my e-mails, Farcebook messages, text messages and so on and when I woke up the battery was at 99%.

Ok, impressed so far, lets cane it now.

3 hours of intense text messaging, voice messaging, GPS Tracking, WiFi connection, Bluetooth connection, e-mailing, downloading and updating apps, gaming, video calling, running multiple apps at the same time and generally finding excuses to play with the phone to drain the battery, I didn't hold back. I threw everything at the phone. 71% charge left after all that and the phone is sitting there with its shiny new battery, grinning at me saying "Bring it on then - is that all you got!?". At this rate with my normal usage, I could be up for about 3 days per charge.

By comparison, the standard Samsung battery would have been drained to about 10-15% after all I threw at it in three hours and I'd have had to charge it back up or it would've not lasted the rest of the morning, let a lone the whole day.

One gripe and to be honest I knew it would happen so more of an obvious observation. This is not going to fit a desktop sync/charging unit. Even one designed to accommodate for phone covers. Get a separate and generic stand if you want to prop up your phone but research it first to make sure it will hold your new fat phone.

UPDATE 14 Feb 14: Ok, this battery is good! It lasts all day with some serious usage, mostly video chat over 3G, so were talking serious battery drainage here. The only downside is that it has to be left on charge all night to reach 100%, but as I'm usually asleep while it charges overnight - well you can see where it's not that much of an issue. The battery takes some severe usage abuse and sits there asking for more. Yes I absolutely recommend this product! Upgraded to 5 stars with no hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars anker, 12 Feb 2013
I have this battery three months . The battery is very good quality. I use phone very hard every day : googl , games , video, music , etc. and even that at 11pm battery level is between 30-45%. This is realy good product. Many thanks for LaptopMate for great customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than doubles the life of my SIII, 8 July 2013
Ian Simpkins "Simmo" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm not a heavy user (though my wife would disagree) and can make the normal battery the phone came with last 36 hours. I have become rather obsessed about killing apps when I'm not using them (Dropbox and Facebook can drain power and any free game with adverts can really burn through your charge, even when you're not playing them), hence my normal 36 hour lifetime.

This battery extends that life to just over three days. This includes plenty of wifi, facebook, twitter, etc, and some photos and general web surfing. I don't play many games or watch a lot of video (though I do sometimes) and I turn the wifi and GPS off unless I'm using them - easy to do with the SIII. Plus the odd call and text of course.

There are many power management apps out there but they seem to do what I do anyway, just automatically, so I don't use them (except Battery Saver which manages the charging process). I also always charge the battery full and run it down to less than 20% (often less than 15%) before recharging.

The only downside of this battery is the recharge time - it takes between 5 and 11 hours to fully charge up depending on what's running, but doing it overnight makes that less of a chore.

It does make the phone quite chunky but it just feels like it punches its weight now, rather than feeling a bit skinny as it did before. The battery itself feels a bit tight in the socket - I wonder if the reviewer who complained about crashing has their battery seated correctly. But once it's in it works, for me anyway.

Simply put, if you want more life out of your SIII, get one of these.

Update: I've resolved the charging issue. Samsung may make great phones but they sell them with lousy chargers. I now use an iPad charger and an old Nokia lead to charge my S3 and it usually takes a bit over 3 hours, even with the big battery, to go from <10% to 100%. The charger (more importantly, the lead) that came with the phone deteriorated to a point where it never got past about 80%, even after 24 hours. And I like the battery so much I'm going to buy another, so I can avoid the charging tent at festivals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, 8 Jun 2013
Brilliant, amazing battery life now, 3 days with average use.
Phone is obviously fatter but I like the feel now, the S3 was too light before, kept thinking I'd drop it !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Anker 4400mAh battery review (dark blue cover), 20 July 2014
With the battery life of the standard battery seemingly taking a hit in performance after the 4.3 update but with the S3 still working well, I decided to take the plunge in purchasing an extended battery after getting tired of recharging my phone three times a day. There are plenty to choose from like the Zerolemon's 7000mAh and even Anker's own 7200mAh which were considered during my research. Those would have added more weight and thickness to the S3 and increased charging times; as such, I decided upon the 4400mAh as a compromise between convenience and weight. Allegedly, the large batteries like those mentioned above may effect reception; the 4400mAh does not seem to affect reception.

Product: battery

When installing my battery and switching on it showed a charge of 59%. Proceeding to use the phone the charge indicator seemed to go down quickly. Honestly, I was somewhat concerned with such a quick discharge. As per the standard advice concerning this battery I let it discharge to 10% capacity before recharging the battery. At 100% and using phone as normal the charge holds well, and I have not had to recharge during the day (even going into the next day). Personally I had estimated my recharging times to be reduced to about once or twice a day.

Capacity-wise it is larger than the standard S3 battery, and does perform for longer (the most important aspect for an extended battery); as such the 4400mAh number is not just a label. Though only on its first recharge, and still conditioning the battery, it does look good. In one sense, this review is premature. Impressed and pleased so far. A few more recharge cycles will tell a fuller story of the battery's performance.

Product: back cover

With the size of the battery being larger than the standard S3 battery a new cover is provided with the battery. Due to the design of the S3, this extended cover does alter the feel of the phone in your hand. The S3's curves are seamless going from the side to the back; this cover alters its aesthetic and the feel in the hand is noticeable.There is now a noticeable change in the curve on the side of the phone as a result. The dark blue cover does not match the pebble blue of the S3; this may or may not be an issue with some owners, but if you are considering an extended battery I presume you are looking for function over form. The new size of the phone does make it easier to hold.

The various holes required for the various inputs/outputs are in the right place. The cover does not seem to affect the camera, so if you are keen on using the S3 for photos then the function seems unaffected. (Allegedly, some covers for extended batteries interferes with the flash and hence the quality of the photo.)

Shopping experience

This does not affect the score of 4/5 I have given for the product, but some may be interested in this information. I ordered on 15/7, received an email on 16/7 that it was dispatched, item arrived on 17/7 via the courier Hermes UK. The seller was AnkerDirect (fulfilled by Amazon). It arrived earlier than the estimated delivery window (21/7 to 23/7). I also chose Super Saver delivery.

Final thoughts

Capacity seems to live up to expectations, and the new cover makes the S3 easier to hold. (Will soon be looking for a possible case to use with it.) It would be nice if more colours for the cover were available, though I anticipate it is not financially viable for the manufacturer to make them.

4.0 out of 5 stars essential for heavy users, 11 May 2013
As a very heavy Galaxy S3 user that had to charge my phone at least twice day, I'm grateful I can now get through a day without having to charge it. The back cover doesn't look too bad either and it feels good in my hands. If only they could do these in a flip cover

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge improvement in battery life, 27 Mar 2014
When I started using my S3, I found that it ran out of battery really quickly if I was doing anything more than sending texts. This battery changed that really quickly—I now don't have to worry about running out. Ever. A full overnight charge has never fell short of a full day's usage the next day, even with extended heavy activity. If I'm careful, I can get two days out of it without much trouble.

The battery is larger in size than the one included with the phone, and it increases the depth of the S3 by a lot. Some people find this to be a problem, as they like the sleek lines of the stock S3, but I actually find that the added size and heft makes the phone feel better in my hand. I don't like that it takes up more room in my pocket, but I'm also a lot less likely to drop it!

The only count against this product is that because the battery is heavier, if you drop your phone, it can actually break the small locking pins off of the backplate. I dropped mine, and the battery popped out, and broke the cover. Unfortunately, Anker doesn't sell the backplate by itself, so I had to replace both the battery and the cover. They were kind enough to give me a bit of the cost back, though, so big ups to their customer service department for that.

Very good overall if you aren't using a full wraparound case like an Otter Box, and if you don't drop your phone much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good power boost but short lifespan..., 21 Nov 2013
A. Carnegie (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
Will update if good response when I contact them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 26 Jun 2014
J. Hazell - See all my reviews
Excellent battery life, but as others have said NO SAFTEY COVER available. So you run the same old risk of broken screen if you drop it (costs Ģ175 and not covered by insurance). Why don't you create one clever Anker or get a 3rd party in

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 21 April 2014
Only downside is the size, but it's worth it for the extended life and the reduced worries of not having my phone run out of battery. To make it 5 star would req me to be able to find a cover that fits now. Lol