5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Second Instalment
Published 16 months ago by Paul Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Much of the same
Published 16 months ago by Gideon100

3.0 out of 5 stars Much of the same, 29 Mar 2013
I have been a life long fan of Terry Brooks since reading the Sword of Shannara nearly 25 years ago and his early works were fantastic, full of adventure, epic battles, solid character development and you felt fully engaged with the storytelling. However there has been a definate decline in his most recent works which have been a tad bland. Having read volumes 1/2 of the Dark Legacy series I have not changed my overall opinion of the stagnant nature of the stories.

Don't get me wrong they are a good enough read if they were a stand alone trilogy but up against his previous works they are a pale imitation. There is a lot or re telling old stories...the Ellcrys failing and the threat from within the forbidding...the dilemma to the chosen on the Bloodfire quest etc. There is nothing new or unique and the characters are not really fleshed out so when something happens to them you don't really care. The prose is a bit choppy and the settings seem to jump about ie there is a section when they are in mortal danger then next they are waking up in their beds in Aborlorn?!

It has the elements of earlier works..Ohmsfords(check), a Leah(check), a druid(check), Elves(check) but the characters and their interaction are paper thin and what was a rich and expansive world has now been watered down to shuttle trips on their airships between Paranor and Aborlorn..

Also in previous incarnations the Druids appeared to be a formidable force but in this series they seem a bit impotent and get knocked off with great ease and go out with a bit of a whimper unlike the great battling death of Allanon...

Like other reviewers it is maybe time to take a step away from the Shannara world or if there was to be a re visit then the storytelling needs to go in a different direction to re capture some of the old magic...no pun intended.

2.0 out of 5 stars For us or the publisher's?, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Bloodfire Quest: Book 2 of The Dark Legacy of Shannara (Kindle Edition)
I'm a long time fan of Terry Brooks (right back to first edition Sword Of Shannara) He grabbed me again with 'Armageddons children', a great link between the 'Word and the void' series and 'Shannara' series, but this latest offering seem's forced and stale. There's nothing worse than a writer with nothing to say, but who takes a good four hundred pages to say it.
If I could set the scene here it would go something like this........"Mr Brooks, what's the first book in the the new trilogy about?" "Oh I'm glad you asked" says Mr Brooks, "It's about jack and Jill who go up a hill to fetch a pail of water, Jack falls down and breaks his crown and...Yadah, yadah, yadah..... " Oh ok Terry, how about the second book". "Well that's totally different, that's about Kate and Karl.....Who go up an incline to fetch a container of liquid. Karl slips and gets a concussion and......"Ok Mr Brooks I think we're getting it, how about the third book. "Oh now your talking, that's about Bob and Brenda. They climb a mountain for a flask on fluid and......."Mr Brooks.....Forget it!!
I'm no writer (I think I've just proved that), but the formula is getting a bit weak. I don't think Terry Brooks had a story he wanted to tell, but maybe the publishers just puhed and pushed. I recently read Jean Auels' latest offering in the 'Earths children' series and got the same feeling, she also constantly repeated herself padding out, what otherwise would have been a much shorter book, but with still a very weak story line.
I'm sorry Mr Brooks, but although I will purchase the last book of the trilogy (and that only because I am a die hard fan) I can't give this more than 2 stars (and those two are for your time and effort not the content). Anybody who is not a fan and is looking for a book to pass the time and keep your interest........Go and buy Dan Brown 'Inferno'.

2.0 out of 5 stars Feeling short-changed by this series., 20 Mar 2013
Dr Nick (Camborne, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
I began to read Terry Brooks in 1977 with The Sword of Shannara and have bought pretty much every book he's written since. The early Shannara books (Sword, Wishsong and Scions) remain some of my favourite fantasy books, but it seems I'm not alone in noticing a decline in the standard of Brooks' writing. It's not that the Dark Legacy series is poor storytelling, despite the retreading of earlier books, it simply feels like the sketch outline of the novel Brooks should have written. Compared to earlier works the characters, good and 'bad', lack detail and fleshing out. This leaves me not caring too much about the Ohmsford heroes of the story and not understanding the motivations of Edinja Orle, the magic-wielding newly promoted Federation Prime Minister, in her campaign against the druids and the elves. Even the demons seem lacklustre this time around and petty in their ambitions (give me what I want and I'll happily march back into the forbidding and stay there). Gone is the grand panorama Brooks painted last time the forbidding came down, with what seemed a cross between Tolkein's Last Alliance and the Spartans at Thermopylae; this time the elves half-heartedly send a few blokes to see if anything is happening.....

Aside from feeling like a plot outline, the books are very short (something of a trend developing from 'Armageddons Children' onwards) and my cynical side feels that all three installments could easily have been published as one book, but this way the publishers, etc, make three times the money; okay if you're dealing with something like the Scions series, but with this Shannara-lite set I'm feeling short changed. I'll almost certainly buy the last instalment to see where this story goes, but will think long and hard about investing in future books if this decline continues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Second Instalment, 13 Mar 2013
I will own up to be a die hard Terry Brooks fan, therefore my review may be very biased. I really enjoyed the first two books and my gut feeling is that the third will be superb, given the positioning of the first two. I am so pleased that the trilogy will be published much sooner than the annual schedule of the past. Suffice to say, I loved the story, enjoyed the characters and am looking forward to the finale. If you love fantasy, then Terry is the (supreme)King.

Please buy the books and enjoy a fabulous read.

All the best.

Paul

P.S. The book arrived ahead of schedule, so thank you.
P.P.S. I had the Shanarra map imported from the US, spent GBP200 in getting it framed, and can now look at it whilst reading the books, so I can easily relate to where the action is taking place. Others have commented on the cost of the print, but to me the signed print represented excellent value for money and would highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 7 Jun 2014
I really looked forward to reading these 3 novels, however, on doing so I find that they are a virtual rerun of his earlier books. I feel rather cheated having paid twice to read the almost identical storey line.
All this goes ditto for Book 3, Witch Wraith !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good not great, 13 May 2014
Great story teller, keeps you engrossed for hours but you have the feeling that we have been here before and therefore lack the excitement of previous novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark Legacy Of Shannara., 8 May 2014
Good story and good plot. The tale races along and you don't want to put it down it's so fast. You are taken into the realms of Faerie elves and other( beyond this realm ) creatures, but the author has made them come to life and quite believable. Enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great-escape into the world of Shannara , and a great read, 22 April 2014
My review for all 3 books in the trilogy:

A great lead into the story; just as we’ve come to expect from Terry Brooks. Interesting characters combined with a good story, old history revisited, familiar places and new. Re-entering the Shannara world is like putting on a comfortable sweater and sitting in front of a log fire with a good drink to hand! If that’s what you’ve come to expect, you won’t be disappointed. If you’re new to Shannara novels you’ll enjoy it, but I’d suggest starting with the original ‘Sword of Shannara’ and working your way up!

I enjoy the way Terry composes his novels; and this has been no exception. If you read this, like me it leaves you wanting to get on with the next instalment…

One point (Mr Brooks); it would’ve been good to read the previous trilogy first (High Druid of Shannara); but I couldn’t!!! It’s not available on Kindle, so I had to read the next one instead (what else could I do at 11:00pm?!)

One other small criticism; a couple of the plot lines in the trilogy are a little bit predictable, but I can forgive this because I still really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues the excitement of book 1, 16 April 2014
The Bloodfire Quest continues the gripping story. You get caught up in all the strands with the different characters. Terry Brooks makes you care about them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shannara, 26 Mar 2014
Downloaded this series as I have the books, which I am replacing by putting them on to the Kindle, lack of storage, but really enjoyed rereading them again.