4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from a brilliant series
MY REVIEW
I downloaded a free e-copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Published on 24 April 2013 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A definite improvement from the second but not nearly as much as I had hoped for
With Cold Blooded so close to its release date, I decided to request this and finally read it. Full Blooded was somewhat disappointing and had it not ended the way it did, I probably wouldn't have read this one. I was hoping that things would take a more interesting turn now that we were past the whole Jessica becoming the only female werewolf. Honestly, this one wasn't...
Published 18 months ago by Rashika

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from a brilliant series, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Hot Blooded: Book 2 in the Jessica McClain series (Jessica McCain) (Kindle Edition)
MY REVIEW
I love the cover as it has the main character of Jessica on the front and fits really well with the other book covers in the series. There's the byline of Hunt To Kill which is what is happening to Jessica and her gang as they go to attempt to rescue Rourke. I don't like the quote from another author about the book, my feelings are that such quotes should go on the back of the book or on an inside cover perhaps.
Would the cover make me pick it up in a book store? Yes definitely. Though as I have read part of the series I would have been looking for this book too.
The blurb tells the reader enough to entice without giving too much away and also saves the odd twist and turn for a surprise to the reader.
So the book picks up literally where the other one left off. Jessica, her brother Tyler and pack member Danny set off with the vampire guides to find the hidden lair of the goddess who is holding Rourke against his will. Oh yeah and there's a late addition to the travelling party of Ray, the cop who has recently discovered what Jessica is!
They come across many challenges in the form of strange beastie's and life forms that they have to kill or subdue to gain the final access to the Goddess Selena's lair.
There were definitely times when I thought Mmm I didn't see that one coming, and the odd wow what the heck! moments too. I love the characters and how we get to explore some of them in more depth. I enjoyed Ray's funny side, the way he injected some humor into the darkest of plights. I loved Naomi, her tragic existence at the hands of Selena, then her escape yet she still had the willingness to help Jessica seek out Selena. I think Naomi's loyalty was well written and depicted in the book too. I love the twin-bond that exists between Tyler and Jessica, and wow Tyler sound sooo gorgeous too! I'm thinking the type of actor that could play him in a movie would be similarly built and look a little like Kellan Lutz (though maybe Kellan is a little too well known as Emmett Cullen). We also learn a littel more about Danny's cheeky chappy kind of personality, he make joke around but is totally loyal to the pack and helping Tyler protect Jessica to the point of giving his own life if needed.
The book is fast paced, full of action, drama and angst, with fantastic fight scenes towards the end of the book. There's a good cliffhanger at the end of the book which will no doubt present the basic plot for the next great book in this excellent series.
To sum up then, Did I enjoy the book? Yes, I enjoyed it a lot! Would I recommend it? Yes, in particular to fans of Kelley Armstrong's "Women Of The Otherworld" and Rachel Vincents Shifter Series. I would say I'd recommend to fans of shifter books but this is so much more than a shifter series, it has many different supernatural races featured within it's pages. Would I read more in the series? Er. . Yes please! Would I read other books by Amanda Carlson? Yes I enjoy the style of writing along with the plot etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, action-driven UF, 23 April 2013
I am really enjoying this new name in urban fantasy genre. Amanda Carlson proved that she can write decisive, interesting, fully capable of kick butt decision making characters; create a wonderfully complex world-building and end her books with a big bang. And I LOVE that. This is what encompasses UF genre for me!

Hot Blooded might be even better than Full Blooded. The whole book is about Jessica and her companions on the move to get Rourke from a really crazy, sadistic Goddess, Selena. Again, Rourke is in Jessica thoughts but he doesn't domineer the plot. Even when they are back together, there is no moochiness I so dislike in instant love/perfect mate shifter relationship. It's all go, go, go, act now, love later as it's only appropriate in the situation.

There is also a deep, lovely connection between Jessica and her brother, Tyler, interesting developments with a couple of vamps who help them on their journey, Eamonn and Naomi, and ever so amusing snarkiness of human police detective, Roy.

Roy, I am rooting for you! Don't you dare disappear in the next book! I fully expect you to play an important role in this series :)

Overall, it's an excellent, action packed urban fantasy, reminiscent of Rachel Vincent and Caitlin Kittredge's writing, so if you loved both of these authors, I suggest you don't miss out on Amanda Carlson!

4.0 out of 5 stars A new series (for me) with possibilities, 11 Aug. 2014
In the first book of the series, Full Blooded, we are introduced to Jessica McClain. Jessica is an oddity - born the daughter of her packs Alpha, life should be good. But there is a problem with that - female werewolves aren’t supposed to exist. And no one in the pack is willing to let her forget that she is a freak of nature. Once past puberty and not having shifted, Jessica thought she would live out her life as a human. She left the pack behind, starting a new life with a new name.
Everything was going well, until her wolf decided it was time to surface.

Hot Blooded, the second book of the series, picks up just after the events of the previous book. Told almost entirely on the road, with brief phone updates connecting Jessica to her father and pack at home, Jessica and her rather ‘unusual’ traveling companions, including two vampires loaned to her by the Vampire queen.

It took me a while to read Hot Blooded for NetGalley. I started to read the book, but soon realized that I would be much better served to read the first book first. It pulled the story together for me, in a manner which I wasn’t feeling until reading the first. While there are things I didn’t care for all that much. Jessica is a bit of a Mary Sue, overcoming apparently insurmountable odds on her own.

What I did enjoy about the story is just how compassionate Jessica is for all creatures, including humans – a personality quirk that her werewolf brethren definitely are not happy about. Jessica is strong, intelligent and has her own mind, a rarity in the urban fantasy heroine tropes of the day, making her a perfect addition to the genre. I hope that she retains that compassion across the series.

A pissed-off goddess, a bright yellow Humvee, a couple of werewolves, a couple of vampires on loan (and of course, vampires being vampires, there is a heavy price to pay should she live long enough to return), issues resolved and new issues opened and unresolved leads to an exciting story line which I expect much from in the future.
_____________________________________
I received Hot Blooded from Netgalley in return for an honest review. I purchased Full Blooded on my own in order to keep the series in order and to gain a better understanding of the story line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Second Books in Great New Series!, 28 April 2013
If the first book in this series, Full Blooded was fast paced, then this second book was Usain Bolt on skates, going downhill. Wow. There is little time for Jess or any of her friends to catch their breath as she, her brother, Tyler and their pack-mate Danny head off to rescue her mate, Rourke from the crazy goddess Selene. The only help they have are two tracking vampires and a police detective, Jess is trying to save now he knows about the supernatural world. The story is relentless action while at the same time exploring Jess's new abilities and what makes her different (apart from being the only female werewolf of course!)

I loved Jess's determination and how much she cares for others. Her care for Ray despite their troubled history was a nice insight into her personality especially as other supernaturals never really gave him much thought. Her growing friendship with the vampire, Naomi also shows her willing to rethink the inbuilt prejudice many supernaturals have. The relationship between Jess and Rourke feels a little more natural this time (it was a little too insta-love previously) and I really liked the way Jess's powers are different from anything else in this world without making her too isolated. She already has family, friends, a mate and her own thoughts and opinions.

The action is frenetic and involving with each new challenge different and distinct. Jess doesn't back down no matter what is thrown at her. At the same time she learns more about vampires in general and Naomi in particular, which helps give a wider perspective of what Jess could mean to the wider supernatural world and not just the wolves. I was hooked right from the beginning and never bored as Jess fought and thought her way to Rourke. While there is a nicely contained story here, the wider arc is not neglected and the ending will certainly have you wishing the next book, Cold Blooded was out much sooner than October!

Recommended for fans of Patricia Briggs and Jaye Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! I was on the edge of my seat, 23 April 2013
Jess McClain has a lot on her plate in Hot Blooded the second instalment in Amanda Carlson's rather fantastic urban fantasy series. As the first female werewolf ever Jess has caused huge divisions amongst the wolfs who fear the looming prophecy that the rise of a female wolf will result in the end of their werewolf race. On top of this, every sect in the supernatural community now views Jess as a threat that needs eliminated, even half human, half demon Imp's threaten Jess in the car park telling her that her death is imminent and that she will never rule the underworld (not that she even wants to).

For Jess, her main priority is to rescue her newly found mate Rourke from Selene the Lunar Goddess. Jess finds herself forced into making a deal with the Vampire Queen to get the help of tracker vampires Eamon and Naomi to find Selene's lair. With the additional help of her brother Tyler and pack mate Danny as her bodyguards Jess is in a race against time to rescue Rourke from the Goddess. Never one to make things easy for herself Jess also has to bring pain in the ass human cop Ray along for the ride. As Ray now knows about the existence of the shifters he either has to be assimilated into their world or face death. Despite having a rather pressing rescue mission on her to do list Jess decides to terrify Ray into assimilating with the wolfs in a make or break kind of way by taking him along on their journey.

Super evil Goddess and witch Selene doesn't of course make things easy for Jess, not only has she set up a series of evil traps (a bit like a supernatural minefield full of scary and weird creatures) she's also placed a rather terrifying ongoing death spell on Jess which sees Jess having to work with her wolf to fight off.

With tension and action galore I absolutely loved Hot Blooded, as each of Selene's traps ramped the tension up another notch (the demonic goats were my outright favourite) I gnawed my fingernails and sweated profusely along with Jess. I loved the changes in Jess's relationships with both the vamps and her pack mates on their journey. It seemed unlikely at the start of their quest that a wolf and a vamp could ever be friends but when Jess steps into help Naomi it showed that Jess won't be bound by the traditional supernatural boundaries and traditions and I breathed a sigh of relief for Jess that she gained a much needed ally in her corner. Equally, I loved the changing pack relationship between the three wolfs. Jess isn't an alpha wolf threatening the position of her alpha father and brother, she's something entirely different and is very much in uncharted wolf territory. Having read a tonne of shifter books I really enjoyed the very different and creative way Jess's place or status in the pack evolved, it really kept me guessing.

I can't possibly not mention Rourke. Even although he wasn't in very much of the book his chemistry with Jess positively sizzles. So here's my plea to Amanda Carlson please, please, please give them some alone time, chapters of alone time would be good *winks*. I think I'm even more intrigued about Rourke now. It's mentioned that he has the grudging respect of the vampires, that the vampire Queen had hired him over the years but couldn't control him, it's also suggested that he may be a God or close to Godhood. Honestly, I'm practically dying with curiosity here, what is he??? All I know is I want more Rourke!

I finished Hot Blooded very much at the edge of my seat with the overwhelming feeling that the landscape is changing for Jess, the wolfs and the other supernatural sects. The story points towards a huge uprising and impending war and Jess realises that the wolfs will need a quick but extensive education on all things supernatural to survive. Hot Blooded definitely gave me that book buzz that this is a series just beginning and that there's so much more in store for Jess. I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 28 April 2013
S. Lacey (Annalong) - See all my reviews
I loved this follow-up to Full Blooded! Jessica is seriously kick ass and her powers are progressing, growing stronger. She doesn't know what she can do and neither does anyone else exactly. All anyone can do is guess cause Jess is so unique and the only clue they have to her abilities is an old prophecy that very few have seen which keeps getting rewritten and put out on the internet to stir distrust towards Jess by an as yet unknown individual. They are getting closer to discovering what the true phrophecy is though I think and I can't wait to hear it myself. I love the characters in this, Ray really grew on me in this book so I hope to see him in the next book, same with Naomi. Away from her vampire queen's influence she's actually pretty cool, shame her brother Eamon is still an ass though!
I was happy to finally have Roarke brought back in and hope we see a lot more of him in the next book as he was absent for most of this book considering he'd been kidnapped at the end of Full Blooded! I think the end set up the main story for the next book as well as another plot that could be more long term. I can't wait for Cold Blooded to be released to continue the story! This series is addictive and a real page turner! I devoured the prequel Blooded, the first book Full Blooded and this book was no different! Had me hooked from start to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little confusing at first but still great fun, 2 May 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
OK, I read Amanda's debut last year and whilst I absolutely loved it, I had a little bit of trouble getting into the beginning of this book as I felt that it was a little rushed alongside being a tad disorientating which for me ruined it a little bit. Personally I'd have preferred a little reminder as to what had already gone before so that I wouldn't have had to reread the first title to refresh my memory, its not a bad thing mind you as the book was delightful however if unlike me you don't tend to keep everything you read in your own personal Library (yes I would like a publisher to sponsor wall to wall shelving for my bedroom so that I can have everything on display) then a reminder would have been helpful.

That said, the book when you delve back into the full adventure was definitely something that was not only delightful but brought our new female were to the fore as she sought to free her mate from the clutches of Selene the Moon Goddess. It has great action, some wonderful twists and when added to demonic villains as well as lethal traps all round make this a book that was a joy to devour. I really can't wait to see what Fate and Amanda have in store for Jess in her next outing.

4.0 out of 5 stars too many new superpowers for Jessica, 19 Sept. 2013
Hot Blooded. Amanda Carlson
Arc provided by Netgalley.
I enjoyed the first book, though with a few reservations at the start. This one has come out much the same. Jessica going on a journey to rescue her mate. She has helps from two vamps, two of the Pack, and an unexpected extra person :) She's tracking Selene, and needs to kill her to rescue her mate Rourke. Trouble is Selene is a Goddess, and isn't easy to kill, in fact most of the supes believe she's on a suicide mission as Selene can't die...
So, once everyone is assembled the bulk of the book is about their journey. That's where my problems began. It was OK at first, I expected Selene to have set some traps, after all she's not going to sit back and wait for them. The problem I had though is that each time there were barriers, they seemed to be some previously unknown or rarely heard of creature, impossible to kill and yet...Jessica seemed to develop the superpowers needed to outwit/kill them just at the last moment. Now I get she's previously unknown, possibly the subject of a prophecy etc etc etc but...I really, really hate it when the newly empowered heroine develops skills those who are hundreds of years don't have. I can deal with a couple of useful new powers, but every time? ?Making the existing powerful supernaturals emasculated. Sorry, that's just something I really don't like, and it happened so often here that I ended up by skim reading over the various battles. I did like the way Jessica befriended those who later turn out to be allies. Its clear she's going to need help as the series progresses and that's far better in my view - to have her befriending those with power or knowledge, who become useful allies at the right time rather than her gaining new powers Every Time :(
So, I enjoyed parts, but the bulk seemed to be endless battles with weird creatures where Jessica saves the day. That didn't cut it for me, it got old quickly. It seemed the other characters were simply there to prove just how wonderful and strong etc Jessica had become, rather than people we get to know and care about.. I wanted to see more of Rourke too, even if it was scenes with him and Selene, but he only appears at the end. I liked Naomi, even warmed to Ray...the wolves were loyal as ever, and good choices to accompany her, and the end where next book is set up was good, but overall I was disappointed..at £4.99 for 336 pages I was expecting more of a story about the characters, not just what seemed like endless battles with odd and unknown creatures and Jessica becoming a Wonder Superwoman.
Stars: well just three and a half this time - its better than OK but not good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough to make me want to read the next book., 26 April 2013
I received a free copy of this e-book from the publishers with the intent to read and leave an honest review.

This book starts were the first book finished. Jessica is getting ready to go and get her mate back from Selene, who just happens to be a wicked powerful goddess. She just has to wait for two vampires to arrive who are on loan from the Vampire Queen who had her kidnapped in the first book.

Before she even gets to set off, she has to contend with Ray Hart, a local police detective who has been harassing her and trying to pin anything he can on her. He just knows there's something off about Jessica. And he's about to find out just what that is. When Jessica gets home from talking to her father and persuading him not to kill Ray, she finds out that her building supervisor was a were-weasel and he had been caught breaking in to her apartment by one of her were-wolf friends. He had had to change and ended up killing him but the detective had seen it happen so he ended up stuffed in her wardrobe. Now he's going on a trip with Jessica, her brother Tyler, friend Daniel, the two vampires on loan from the Vampire Queen to get back her mate, if not he's going to end up dead.

Setting off in the bright yellow hummer that her brother has bought, they head north to Canada. On the way she realises that they will have a problem with Ray at border patrol so she has the vampires fly him over the border, hoping it will make him change his mind and realise that in order for him to stay alive he will have to comply with the Alpha's demands.

As they get nearer to Selene's lair they have to leave the hummer behind and start to hike. This is were I started to get annoyed again.

Whilst the book has a great story line and clips along at a good rate, it's spoiled again by the constant conversation, argument or telepathic conversation when danger is imminent or they are in the midst of a fight. It ruins the flow of the tale for me.

This was a fault that I found in the first book and I was disappointed to see it had continued on in the second book. I also found it annoying that no matter what they came across, after the argument, discussion, whatever, it would turn out to be her blood or only her power that could fix whatever was wrong. I understand that she is the main character and that she is something more than a were-wolf, she is turning into the True Lycan but I really hope that the third book doesn't follow in the same lines or that it's not constantly brought up.

That said I will definitely be reading the third in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved and adored Amanda Carlson's first book, 15 July 2014
Rachel Bridgeman (Wales) - See all my reviews
I loved and adored Amanda Carlson's first book. Inevitable comparisons could be made with Kelley Armstrong but excusing the pun, this is a very different beast. This second novel develops the characters introduced in the first of what I hope will be a long running series. The strength of the female leads without sacrificing plot or weakening the males is what I enjoyed the most. Many thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read it.