4.7 out of 5 stars1,350

on 20 May 2012
As I approach my 65th year, I have despaired at the direction of a great deal of modern popular music. Emilie Sande is, to me, a bright light in a dim world. She has great talent as a songwriter and a soulful voice that touches your heart. She deserves to succeed: a talent which could storm the World. A truly great soul singer.
11 comment|166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 February 2012
This is a fantastic record, signalling a fresh, new emerging talent. Emeli Sandé has a great voice, great song writing abilities and a striking look. Couple that with her intelligent and grounded Aberdonian personality and wide ranging contacts in the music business coming out of her track record of writing songs for other people and you have an apparently sure-fire recipe for success.

You will have heard and noticed some of the singles released, but I first became properly aware of her from her appearance on Jools Holland, where she did a stripped down version of 'heaven'. I liked the breakbeats /trip-hop version which is the opening track on the album, but when you hear it taken down to an acoustic level you really appreciate the raw talent. To that extent the comparisons with Adele are inevitable (given that Adele now sets the bench mark and did a similarly impressive live take of someone like you on the same show, and not least because Emeli's first name happens to be Adele!)

This is a record varied in style. There are some excellent pop songs with full pop production, as well as slower more acoustic numbers. Her great voice and gift for melody are the linking threads, but some may find that range of styles detracts - sometimes this feels more of a showcase than a coherent album. But what a showcase! Subject matter for songs tends towards love: lost, found and yearned for. The lyrics however are often fresh and intelligent, and on occasion ('river') seem to transcend the human towards religious overtones (well that's my take anyway).

In summary, this is a great debut which will have wide appeal. Highly recommended.
11 comment|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2012
This is a great album of well written and beautifully performed music by a genuine artist . . . BUT ..

I'm always disappointed when greedy record labels re-release an album with additional bonus tracks (usually just before the festive season). My main gripe here is the fact that fans will have already bought the CD when it was initially released - making it the popular hit they rave about. It's those very same fans who are left with the expensive and wasteful option of possibly re-purchasing the whole CD just to get a few bonus tracks by an artist they've already supported. What exactly are we supposed to do with the original release?

Honestly - does this cause anything but irritation and resentment?

It is a greedy and unfair strategy - record companies, please stop it!
55 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2012
I don't listen to a huge amount of music but when I find something I like I have it on repeat. This cd was no exception. For some reason I am drawn to female artists, I love their voices and it is the only music I seem to enjoy. Emeli Sande has an amazing voice and her songs just draw you in.

What is great about this album is the variety in the style of the songs. From pop songs to acoustic numbers, to some hip hop and everything in between.

Next to Me is one of my favourite tracks, one I could listen do over and over again. Her voice is mesmerising and relaxing. Enjoyable and soulful. This is one album I will be listening to for years to come.

I am not over keen on Daddy, but that's the only one out of the whole album, the rest are fantastic. An excellent way to relax on the way home from work or chilling out in an afternoon. Not one for the gym or exercising, more chilaxing.

I love the Heaven song, it brings a tear to my eye every time I listen to it. The fact she is Scottish and writes her own songs is an added bonus. I think she is amazing and will go far. I highly recommend this cd to everyone.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 April 2012
Being mid 40's, I don't get the media exposure I once did and so I knew nothing of Emelie Sande, or this album, Our Version of Events.

But, WOW! What a voice, what songs, what production! Her voice is symphonic, big, powerful and passionate. The backings the same. At times it struck me that she has the vocal intensity of Adele, at others the delicate huskiness of Kate Bush.

I don't want to write a long review, detailing each track. What I do want to say is, if you're on the verge of buying this music, do so, it is superb. Lyrical, tuneful, songs that seem like songs and no rap or bits that make you suddenly want to bang the volume down. There's also a lot of depth here - I can see me playing this CD for months to come - and how often can you say that, these days?
on 6 March 2016
INTRODUCTION:

Emeli Sandé was born Adele Emeli Sandé Gouraguine on 10 March 1987 in Sunderland, Scotland, to a Zambian father and English mother. She was raised in Alford, Aberdeenshire, Scotland with her parents. It is interesting to learn that she decided against using the name Adele Sandé, due to Adele's growing success, so she used her middle name instead. She revealed: "I changed it as soon as Adele came out.” 2011 was Adele’s year, but 2012 belonged to Emeli Sandé. This CD “Our Version of Events” is the Number 1 selling CD in UK for the year 2012. Just like Adele’s 21, this CD also hit #1 numerous times and also stayed near the top for the entire year. She has also won numerous awards, including 2013 Brit Award for Best Female and Best Album. Amazing feat.

Besides a great soulful singer, Emeli is also a songwriter, writing songs for artists, like Susan Boyle (“This Will Be The Year”), Leona Lewis (“Trouble”), Cheryl Lloyd (“Lifetime”), etc. She first became known to the public eye after she featured on the track "Diamond Rings" by the rapper Chipmunk (UK 6/2009). She also hit #1 in UK Pop Chart as Featured Artists (Professor Green’s “Read All About It” (UK 1/2011) and Labrinth’s “Beneath Your Beautiful” (UK 1/2012), featured as bonus track in this CD.

On 27 July 2012, she sang "Abide with Me" at the opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics, and her song "Heaven" was used to accompany the section with Sir Tim Berners-Lee. NBC also used her song "Wonder" during the credits roll at the end of the tape-delayed ceremony broadcast in the United States. On 12 August 2012, she sang "Read All About It (Part III)" at the closing ceremony, while a video montage of emotional scenes from the games was shown. She also covered a version of John Lennon's "Imagine" exclusively for the BBC, who used it for their end credits montage at the conclusion of their Olympics coverage (this song featured as bonus track). If you were lucky to attend Coldplay concert in Toronto in 2012, you will no doubt be impressed with her performance.

CONTENT:

The entire CD is dynamite, pure pleasure from beginning to end. Her voice is soulful, clear, with lots of feelings. I must also complement the producer who has done an excellent job in remastering the background music, vibrant, clean, crisp, well-defined and tight bass. Great sound supplementing a great voice. (5/5)

The song listing (with position and year) is as follows:
01 Heaven (UK 2/2011)(used in Summer Olympics, 2012)
02 My Kind Of Love (UK 17/2012)
03 Where I Sleep
04 Mountains
05 Clown (UK 4/2012)
06 Daddy (featuring Naughty Boy)(UK 21/2011)
07 Maybe
08 Suitcase
09 Breaking the Law
10 Next To Me (UK 2/2012)
11 River
12 Lifetime
13 Hope
14 Read All About It (Part III)(UK 3/2012)(sang in the closing ceremony, Summer Olympics 2012)
Bonus tracks:
15 Wonder (Naughty Boy, featuring Emeli Sandé)(UK 10/2012)(used at End Credits, Summer Olympics, US)
16 Breaking The Law (alternate version)
17 Easier In Bed
18 Beneath Your Beautiful (Labrinth, featuring Emeli Sandé)(UK 1/2012)
19 Imagine (used at End Credits, Summer Olympics 2012, UK)

FINAL THOUGHTS:

“Our Version of Events” is my favourite CD for 2012. Just like Adele’s “21”, you can listen to it repeatedly and continuously (as I am typing this review), and enjoy it thoroughly every time. I personally recommend that you buy the Special Edition (Deluxe Edition) with 5 great bonus tracks. This set is naturally very highly recommended.
on 27 November 2012
I'm sure,like many others,I just brought this LUSH album for the most popular one track BUT I Guarantee you'll just ADORE Every other song & the way she sings them too,she's just AMAZING & MORE!
This will touch your heart,whether you're in love or not,or even grieving a lost love,it will lift you,move you to tears in parts,but whatever it does for you or wherever it takes you,I guarantee you'll be So Happy to have it in your collection now,after all it's the Magnificent & Beautiful Emeli Sandé so how could you not be,on any count whatsoever :-)
on 24 April 2012
I was reading several music magazine articles and came across this artist. The debut album will not be available in america until summer. I received it in good condition and love it. Hope people will give her a listen here.
on 17 September 2012
Emeli Sandé is excellent.
When heaven came out I wasn't a big fan of the song but the songs on this album are just pure ace. People think the songs are boring, slow, and dull. Yeah, they're not the fastest songs in the world but if you actually listen to the lyrics and Emeli Sandé's AMAZING voice you will actually appreaciate how wondeful the album is. Her voice also has he own unique style what is just an added bonus to the album.

I would say every song has certain hooks what draw you in and make you think I like this song but the only ones what let this album down a tiny bit is 'Hope' and 'Lifetime' but that's just my personal opinion. But the other tracks are calming melodic tunes what you would want to just fall asleep to because they are beautiful and relaxing.

I heard Heaven and Next To Me and was expecting many more fast tempo songs on the album but I was pleasantly suprised how they weren't and too be honest I liked it. I put the album on play and just listened from start to finish without changing the tracks, it just shows how people can prove you wrong and I think Emeli should continue with her awesome writing and singing and should continue writing smash hits for herself and many other artists, when she dies she will be a name well remembered. Long live Emeli Sandé!! Can't wait to see what else there is to come.
on 30 April 2012
I pre-ordered this album as I love one of the songs on it. I do this a lot and then find I don't really like any of the other songs. I'm glad to say that I love every song on this album.