5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting Emilie
As I approach my 65th year, I have despaired at the direction of a great deal of modern popular music. Emilie Sande is, to me, a bright light in a dim world. She has great talent as a songwriter and a soulful voice that touches your heart. She deserves to succeed: a talent which could storm the World. A truly great soul singer.
Published on 20 May 2012 by Scorpio

3.0 out of 5 stars It could have been better
I was really looking forward to hearing this album. There is no doubt that Emeli has a great voice, and she can tackle both ballads and up tempo songs with ease. The album starts well with Heaven and My Kind of Love, but before long, slow song after slow song becomes too much until I was almost screaming to hear something with a bit more of a beat to it. Daddy is my...
Published on 9 Mar. 2012 by LL Cool Joe

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting Emilie, 20 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent debut from a major new talent, 13 Feb. 2012
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Our Version of Events (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic record, signalling a fresh, new emerging talent. Emeli Sandé has a great voice, great song writing abilities and a striking look. Couple that with her intelligent and grounded Aberdonian personality and wide ranging contacts in the music business coming out of her track record of writing songs for other people and you have an apparently sure-fire recipe for success.

You will have heard and noticed some of the singles released, but I first became properly aware of her from her appearance on Jools Holland, where she did a stripped down version of 'heaven'. I liked the breakbeats /trip-hop version which is the opening track on the album, but when you hear it taken down to an acoustic level you really appreciate the raw talent. To that extent the comparisons with Adele are inevitable (given that Adele now sets the bench mark and did a similarly impressive live take of someone like you on the same show, and not least because Emeli's first name happens to be Adele!)

This is a record varied in style. There are some excellent pop songs with full pop production, as well as slower more acoustic numbers. Her great voice and gift for melody are the linking threads, but some may find that range of styles detracts - sometimes this feels more of a showcase than a coherent album. But what a showcase! Subject matter for songs tends towards love: lost, found and yearned for. The lyrics however are often fresh and intelligent, and on occasion ('river') seem to transcend the human towards religious overtones (well that's my take anyway).

In summary, this is a great debut which will have wide appeal. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorry folks, not a review but a heartfelt rant!, 22 Nov. 2012
Mr. Paul J. Reece (Birmingham, W'Mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a great album of well written and beautifully performed music by a genuine artist . . . BUT ..

I'm always disappointed when greedy record labels re-release an album with additional bonus tracks (usually just before the festive season). My main gripe here is the fact that fans will have already bought the CD when it was initially released - making it the popular hit they rave about. It's those very same fans who are left with the expensive and wasteful option of possibly re-purchasing the whole CD just to get a few bonus tracks by an artist they've already supported. What exactly are we supposed to do with the original release?

Honestly - does this cause anything but irritation and resentment?

It is a greedy and unfair strategy - record companies, please stop it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chillaxing, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Our Version of Events (Audio CD)
I don't listen to a huge amount of music but when I find something I like I have it on repeat. This cd was no exception. For some reason I am drawn to female artists, I love their voices and it is the only music I seem to enjoy. Emeli Sande has an amazing voice and her songs just draw you in.

What is great about this album is the variety in the style of the songs. From pop songs to acoustic numbers, to some hip hop and everything in between.

Next to Me is one of my favourite tracks, one I could listen do over and over again. Her voice is mesmerising and relaxing. Enjoyable and soulful. This is one album I will be listening to for years to come.

I am not over keen on Daddy, but that's the only one out of the whole album, the rest are fantastic. An excellent way to relax on the way home from work or chilling out in an afternoon. Not one for the gym or exercising, more chilaxing.

I love the Heaven song, it brings a tear to my eye every time I listen to it. The fact she is Scottish and writes her own songs is an added bonus. I think she is amazing and will go far. I highly recommend this cd to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars A polished and well crafted debut album, 24 Jun. 2012
Amillionmiles (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Version of Events (Audio CD)
I first heard Emeli Sande in 2011 when her debut single "Heaven" received repeated airplay on the radio and shot to Number 2 in the singles chart. The use of very similar arrangements to Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy" determined that this song would be an instant hit. It was a very smart move, propelling Emeli into the limelight. A few singles later and the album "Our Version Of Events" is released to massive critical acclaim. It is clear from the first listen that this girl is destined for stardom with her distinguished image, powerful well chosen Pop songs and beautiful pitch perfect vocals.

And it is the lead single and first highlight "Heaven" that sets the album off in style with powerful rhythms and vocals. The fourth single "My Kind Of Love" follows and is just as instantly addictive and melodic. "Where I Sleep" is a relatively short but sweet mid-tempo track with a lovely melody. Two inspiring and heartfelt ballads follow in "Mountains" and the beautiful piano led "Clown". The second single "Daddy" follows, speedening up the tempo once again and bringing back those powerful rhythms. However, ballads seem to be Emeli's prefered territory as the following three are superb: "Maybe" is a beautiful string led ballad, whilst the second highlight "Suitcase" is breathtakingly emotional and the acoustic guitar led "Breaking The Law" is raw and spine tingling. "Next To Me", the infectious brilliant third single and third highlight, follows but we return immediately to another sumptuous piano led ballad, "River". "Lifetime" is a pleasant enough uptempo Soul influenced number and "Hope" is another nice ballad, but Emeli's acoustic piano version of "Read All About It" brings another emotional moment and adds a fourth highlight to this wonderful album.

The 5 extra tracks on the newly released version of "Our Version Of Events" add even more beauty to this release. The gospel inspired "Wonder" is an addictive and cute fast paced Soul joint and is the fifth highlight. The sixth highlight of the album is the alternate version of "Breaking The Law" which is even more beautiful with a slightly revamped melody, the addition of flowing string arrangements, rhythmic bass and rolling drum beats - anthemic. "Easier In Bed" is a very cool and suave sounding Trip Hop influenced track and is yet again another highlight. "Beneath Your Beautiful", a duet with the very talented Labrinth, is a sweet ballad although Emeli does eclipse Labrinth a little just because she has such strong and heartfelt vocals. The final song, the piano led cover of John Lennon's "Imagine", adds a soft touch to the album and is just as majestic as when we orginally heard this during the closing ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics.

Emeli brings a breathe of fresh air to the British music scene as she is able to cross genres and appeal to a much wider audience than other female artists have been able to accomplish in the past. This is something that she is able to do both naturally and effortlessly, a raw talent to be shared with generations present and future. A very promising debut album indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, pity about the recording quality., 23 April 2013
Emeli is obviously a great singer and this is an enjoyable album, played on most equipment. It comes across as high energy, full-on pop music in your face . . . which is a clue to its problem. Like most recordings these days this CD has been seriously over-recorded, with thousands of music peaks clipped in most tracks. This results in distortion which on low quality sound systems is hidden by the volume but makes listening tiring and less enjoyable than it could be. Played on an iPod, phone or similar low quality music player this is fine, after all the volume boost helps hide the inferior sound quality of MP3's. This is not unique to this CD (Adele's 21 was even worse) and probably suits this iPod generation who do not listen to music on quality HiFi equipment. Over-recorded (clipped) music sounds harsh on quality HiFi and becomes tiring to endure for long. Fortunately this can be recovered by a decent de-clipping computer program and then sound better than the retail CD, when played on good HiFi (but will sound a bit quieter on your iPods). Shame that sound engineers have been forced to ruin perfectly good recordings this way, just to get louder MP3 sampled recordings. It is annoying that I have to re-master so many CD's in order to play them on my HiFi system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 30 April 2012
This review is from: Our Version of Events (Audio CD)
I pre-ordered this album as I love one of the songs on it. I do this a lot and then find I don't really like any of the other songs. I'm glad to say that I love every song on this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emeli Is Just The BEST........, 27 Nov. 2012
I'm sure,like many others,I just brought this LUSH album for the most popular one track BUT I Guarantee you'll just ADORE Every other song & the way she sings them too,she's just AMAZING & MORE!
This will touch your heart,whether you're in love or not,or even grieving a lost love,it will lift you,move you to tears in parts,but whatever it does for you or wherever it takes you,I guarantee you'll be So Happy to have it in your collection now,after all it's the Magnificent & Beautiful Emeli Sandé so how could you not be,on any count whatsoever :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars American Debut, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Our Version of Events (Audio CD)
I was reading several music magazine articles and came across this artist. The debut album will not be available in america until summer. I received it in good condition and love it. Hope people will give her a listen here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emeli- My Version of CD, 23 April 2012
D. G. Markieluk "Don" (Inverness Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Version of Events (Audio CD)
Good value,great songs, brilliant lyrics
A new gifted singer/songwriter
This product was delivered promptly
Highly recommeded
Some of the songs will break your heart