1,023 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting Emilie
As I approach my 65th year, I have despaired at the direction of a great deal of modern popular music. Emilie Sande is, to me, a bright light in a dim world. She has great talent as a songwriter and a soulful voice that touches your heart. She deserves to succeed: a talent which could storm the World. A truly great soul singer.
Published on 20 May 2012 by Scorpio

1.0 out of 5 stars really patchy quality
I'm not going to comment about subjective quality...make your own mind up....hype and all ...but
when an album varies in production quality so much throughout the album its hard to get excited about putting it on in the first place.
Put this album on a reasonably capable hi fi system and you will really struggle to get past the first track with its two...
Published 17 days ago by Mr. Alan C. Pitchford

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting Emilie, 20 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent debut from a major new talent, 13 Feb 2012
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Our Version of Events (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic record, signalling a fresh, new emerging talent. Emeli Sandé has a great voice, great song writing abilities and a striking look. Couple that with her intelligent and grounded Aberdonian personality and wide ranging contacts in the music business coming out of her track record of writing songs for other people and you have an apparently sure-fire recipe for success.

You will have heard and noticed some of the singles released, but I first became properly aware of her from her appearance on Jools Holland, where she did a stripped down version of 'heaven'. I liked the breakbeats /trip-hop version which is the opening track on the album, but when you hear it taken down to an acoustic level you really appreciate the raw talent. To that extent the comparisons with Adele are inevitable (given that Adele now sets the bench mark and did a similarly impressive live take of someone like you on the same show, and not least because Emeli's first name happens to be Adele!)

This is a record varied in style. There are some excellent pop songs with full pop production, as well as slower more acoustic numbers. Her great voice and gift for melody are the linking threads, but some may find that range of styles detracts - sometimes this feels more of a showcase than a coherent album. But what a showcase! Subject matter for songs tends towards love: lost, found and yearned for. The lyrics however are often fresh and intelligent, and on occasion ('river') seem to transcend the human towards religious overtones (well that's my take anyway).

In summary, this is a great debut which will have wide appeal. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic variety of tracks, 29 Nov 2012
The variety of songs on this album is amazing. Emile sings in a style all her own and the songs she sings are very emotive and are a joy to listen to. Glad I bought it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Our Version of Events (Audio CD)
This was a present for my wife and she loved it, I also liked it and put it on my ipod, very good. Easy on the ears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorry folks, not a review but a heartfelt rant!, 22 Nov 2012
Mr. Paul J. Reece (Birmingham, W'Mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a great album of well written and beautifully performed music by a genuine artist . . . BUT ..

I'm always disappointed when greedy record labels re-release an album with additional bonus tracks (usually just before the festive season). My main gripe here is the fact that fans will have already bought the CD when it was initially released - making it the popular hit they rave about. It's those very same fans who are left with the expensive and wasteful option of possibly re-purchasing the whole CD just to get a few bonus tracks by an artist they've already supported. What exactly are we supposed to do with the original release?

Honestly - does this cause anything but irritation and resentment?

It is a greedy and unfair strategy - record companies, please stop it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dad loves it., 16 Feb 2013
H Coles "BOSS" (Canada) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my Dad for Christmas, he can't fault it; for the price it seems great, and he says the special edition is worth it! Seems a hit with him, I'm not a massive fan of Emeli Sande but a few songs are pretty good; even burnt them onto my iTunes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Our Version of Events (Audio CD)
great CD, good songs. a great sing a long in your car, nice to chill out and relax too x YAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Feb 2013
I bought this CD for my daughter but have listened to it myself and it is a brilliant CD. She has the most amazing voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 12 Feb 2013
Absolutely love Emeli Sande this album is really good and i never tire of listening to it! Fantastic music to relax to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album!, 10 Feb 2013
Absolutely love this album, i would deffinatley recommend this to everyone, she is such a talented artist. Go buy it!