5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Adventure in an Alternate History, 20 Aug. 2010
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the sequel to the excellent "The Wolves of Willoughby Chase". My daughter read that book in school and then I read this one to her at home. It was a good fun night time read as I got to practice my rather terrible rendition of a French accent, and my daughter got to giggle at me.

But my lack of skill with accents aside, this book was an interesting and engrossing adventure by a first class author. My daughter loved it, and so did I. Suitable for any age from children to adult (although older teens may skip it because it does not look cool to read children's books. That is their loss though, if they do).

Before this book, when I thought of Battersea, it was of the old power station and inner London traffic filled streets. This book paints a picture of a very different Battersea, and one that was very engaging.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Rambunctious and Humorous Romp, 15 Sept. 2008
A highly entertaining adventure of missing persons, mistaken identities and Hanoverian conspiracies, set in the contrasting dark and nefarious streets of London and the gloomy splendour of Battersea Castle and its environs. The plot is well paced, Simon is a believable protagonist and the scallywag antics of Dido Twite provide an excellent foil for his almost effortless honesty. A slightly annoying drawback is Sophie, absurdly raised by an otter for much of her childhood! She is a little too perfect and reminiscent of a bland Dickensian heroine. The characters however are what really make this story, the eccentric Dr Furneaux and his loyal art students, the Cobbs and the hostile castle servants. The wonderfully affable yet sinister Mr Twite and his macabre principles, his wife will always be in his shadow no matter how much she orders him around. All these plus a wealth of villains like Mr Buckle and the odious Midwink make the narrative exciting and amusing. Despite a slightly feeble and obvious end, this is throughout a most satisfactory read!

Suitable for all ages! A great historical (fantasy) adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars even better than the classic Wolves of Willoughby Chase, 4 Mar. 2002
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Simon, the resourceful goose-boy who saves the girl in The WOlves of Willouhghby Chase, travels to London to learn the advancement of his natural taltent for art. But his friend and patron has mysteriously disappeared from the house of the Twites, a Cockney family whose only remotely applealing member is Dido, a gutter-snipe. Simon meets Sophie, an old friend from the orphanage who is now maid to the Duchess of Battersea - an eccentric woman who lost her twin babies. Wolves, Hanoverian, bombs and treachery make this piece of cod-historical fiction a glorious romping adventure. All the other books in this series worth checking out too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel to the Wolves of Willoughby Chase, 27 April 2004
Black hearts in Battersea is a fantastic sequel to Joan Aiken's first inher James III series.
The story follows the character Simon, who firstappeared in the Wolves of Willoughby Chase, on his stay in London and hisstumbling across a Hanoverian plot to kill the legitimate Englishking.
A great read for readers of all ages!

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 28 Mar. 2001
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a wonderfully whimsical book. I love the mixture of historical detail and fantasy. This series of books are what I would class as magic realism and I loved them. There is just enough menace and grimness in them to keep the bloodthirsty adventure seekers happy, but coupled with that is a real sense of charm and some great characters. A great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book I read the first book and wanted to read the second.It wasn't a disappointment at all.There were twists and turns which lead to suspense...

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely MARVELLOUS book, 20 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
I have had read and reread this fantastic book.I think it would be a great reading book for 9+over. This book is really vivid and imaginative with the Hanoverians occupying Battersea Castle.This book is also really exciting near the end.I really ,really like this book.This book seems really real.You can picture in your mind all the pictures.Joan Aiken is a brilliant author,so order this book today!

5.0 out of 5 stars By BB ubsdell, 21 Jun. 2014
Thus book has such mystery I never thought it would be so interesting I feel so sorry for poor dodo my favourite character .
I have been reading this . Under the covers and is the best book ever joan aiken is my favourite writer thank you for the joyful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome book, 26 Nov. 2013
I loved this book I stayed up till 3:55 to finish this lovely book,recommend for 8+ but might be a bit strong . If you're wondering no swear words in the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Why haven't I read this before??, 24 Sept. 2013
Mr. J. P. Parrott (Bristol England) - See all my reviews
This is such a joy. Such original language and amusing reversal of history. A book that adults can enjoy as well as children.I wish I had noticed it when my own lads were young. They'd have loved the setting and the adventure.
Going to look for more in the series now.