4.0 out of 5 stars great way to enjoy hd and 3d content is impressive
Having owned this projector for a few weeks now and watched numerous Blu-ray and DVD content, this projector never fails to impress.
Published 6 months ago by Mr B N Armstrong

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price but the Rainbow Effect an issue
This is a good projector for the price but the Rainbow Effect is an issue ( [...] ).
I was told that the Rainbow Effect affects only a small minority of people so I went ahead and bought this projector. Unfortunately both me and my wife can see the "rainbows" and after a bit of research I discovered that we might not be just a small minority ( [...]

A few...
Published 11 months ago by CyX

4.0 out of 5 stars great way to enjoy hd and 3d content is impressive, 28 April 2014
After much research and trawling the nets for reviews, I took the plunge and bought this projector. It was very easy to set up and from a distance of 3m I'm getting crystal clear 720p hd 91" images, it will produce larger images, but at this distance its as big as I need, otherwise it would be like watching tennis if it was bigger at this distance.
The image quality of Blu-ray films is a treat to the eyes and its ever so easy to get lost In a film and forget that your watching a projected image, colours are bright and accurate right out of the box, yes it does suffer from the rainbow effect, but I had to look hard to see it by glancing at different parts of the screen, but it didn't spoil ,my enjoyment of the films and the rainbow effect varied upon the content I was watching.
The images from the projector can be adjusted through an easy on screen menu system, most of which didn't need any tinkering with for my viewing needs or tastes, its fair to say that you could use this projector in a room with ambient lighting or during the day with curtains closed and still get pretty amazing viewing, but I found it worked best with the room darkened and at night.
I personally would of loved to have had the money for a full 1080p model such as the w1070, but its a compromise im willing to live with for now until funds allow it, but I'm very happy with the model I have.

3d content on this projector is something that has to be seen to be believed, its breathtakingly immersive and you often find yourself clutching and ducking as you become engrossed in what your watching.
I own a high end 40" full hd 3d Sony TV and the images from the tv for 3d content is nothing like the projector.... the projector beats the TV hands down. 3d glasses can be purchased quite cheaply, but make sure they are 144hz compatible (sainsonic are the ones I bought £25 for 2pairs)

The only gripe I have with the projector is the remote... its a little bit small for my chunky digits and it could had backlit buttons.
Connectivity is good on this projector, supporting two hdmi inputs, s-video, VGA, component, composite and audio in and out too, it also has a built in 10w speaker, but I've yet to try that out as my sound goes through some small pc 2.1speakrs.

I can highly recommend this projector to anyone wishing to create a home cinema system on a budget, you won't be disappointed especially when it comes to viewing 3d content.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price of a telly..., 1 Oct 2013
Mr. G. Snow - See all my reviews
This review is from: BenQ W1070 Full HD 1080P 2000 Lumens 3D Home Entertainment Projector (Electronics)
Ten years ago, after a little win on the gee-gees, I shelled out nine grand (yes, you read that right) on a Marantz VP12-S3 projector. At the time it was pretty much the dog's gonads unless you wanted to spend thirty grand. And I never regretted that splurge. Many hundreds of hours of enjoyment were had.

Anyway, after moving to a smaller place, there was no room for a big screen so the Marantz went in a box for five years. Recently, after another move, it came out of its box. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't still a very respectable bit of kit but it was only 720p and I wanted 1080 (HD really wasn't around in 2003). The other thing: it was never quite bright enough, even with a new bulb.

It's been a while since the gee-gees neighed in my direction, so a top end PJ was out of the question (ie: one of the big JVCs). I took a punt on this Benq, having read around for days on end. When it arrived I laughed at my own stupidity. Compared to the the huge, 30lb Marantz this looked and felt like a toy. No way was it going to compare, let alone beat, the old timer.

Well, I was being stupid all right. This little "toy" beats the Marantz (at FIFTEEN times the price, inflation not included) hands down. The image is incredibly bright and sharp. The colours are bang-on. The contrast (that old chestnut) is absolutely fine, especially when properly set up (see below). "Absolute black" isn't really possible in a room that's not painted black - a lot of people forget that. What really matters is how shadows are handled in low-contrast scenes (a dimly-lit bar, say). The Benq passes that test very well indeed.

If you don't mind diving into the menus (it's easy) I recommend these settings for the best "cinema" picture: [...]

Dial those in and save them and you'll be blown away by what this little baby can do. Remember, they're for a darkened room, when you really want to have a "movie night". Other settings work amazingly well if you want to keep a table lamp on, or even watch in the day (with drawn curtains, of course. That'll get the neighbours gossiping).

I don't know what voodoo they've worked in the past ten years but whatever it is, I like it. I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised when I think what my phone was like in 2003.

If you've less than three grand to spend, I couldn't recommend this projector highly enough. Oh, in case you care, the 3-D performance is spectacular. I tried it with Avatar last night and it was as good as the IMAX where I first saw it.

Amazon has a great returns policy, so just give it a go. I guarantee you won't be sending it back (unless you're sensitive to the DLP rainbow effect, which most of us aren't, particularly).

5.0 out of 5 stars great bit of kit, 8 Nov 2013
after many hours spent looking for a home projector i decided on this and was not disappointed it is very easy to install and set up ( i have it ceiling mounted) and the picture on the PS3 and DVD are fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Piece of Kit!, 23 Nov 2013
This is my my first projector, so take that into consideration when reading this review. Also note that I also currently have a 37" Panasonic LCD tv.

It's been a week since the Benq arrived and I've tested it with a number of films (2D) as well as some gaming on the pc and xbox 360. I have it sitting on a low coffee table (c.50cm high) and projecting on an off white wall about 2.8 metres away. I'm getting an image size of around 103" and it looks really good...even with 1080p content that's not been streamed from a blu-ray player. With all the lights off it really does feel like we have our own private cinema. I'm actually loathing the thought of going to the cinema rather than just waiting for films to be released on disc! Gaming on such a large screen is pretty awesome too...although I do need to update my graphics card to take advantage of having such a large image!

I can't comment on 3D as I haven't tried it yet. But even though I have never been truly convinced on 3D, for some reason, I do feel like taking a chance on a pair of Sainsonics and giving it a go!

When reading other reviews, I was confused about the vertical lens adjustment, but was pleasantly surprised at just how much I could raise it. However, I've left it as it is for now, as the projected image on a 2:35:1 format is perfect and for 16:9 films I just raise the projector up by about 7" to clear the sideboard - far easier than having to adjust the lens.

Colour, black levels and shadow details are good enough for me and I suspect for most people it will be the same - the enormous image which is clear and very detailed (1080p content) more than makes up for any other shortcomings. If you're really critical, maybe a standard LED tv or a more expensive projector might be in order.

As regards the rainbow effect, yes it's most definitely apparent with this projector, but for me it's not distracting as such. It most commonly appears when I dart my eyes really quickly all over the screen...something that most people wouldn't normally do when watching a film! If you look for it, you will find it, but if you just sit back and enjoy the image and the film, it shouldn't be a big problem.

If you're just getting into the projector world, I don't think you'll go far wrong with this one. The only downside is that, if you're like me, you'll find it hard to go back to watching anything on a "small" tv...especially any films in a 2:35:1 format!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, 9 May 2014
Mr. C. M. Deane (Dublin) - See all my reviews
I was really very worried about buying this sort of equipment online. Not only was the delivery perfect the projector is amazing. It's rare that I would be so enthusiastic about material goods but this is a very good machine. If you need to use a projector I can't fault this one at all. The picture is perfect - it's so crisp and bright even with the lights on and it's HD. I would go as far as saying it's better than our 40" HD TV. The price is very fair too @ £618.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price but the Rainbow Effect an issue, 19 Nov 2013

A few more things to note:

1. This projector is quite bright, which is great if you have a big Screen (110"+) or you watch with some lights on. But if you have a small screen (90") and you watch with all lights off then the brightness on this projector might be too much.

2. It has only a very limited vertical lens shift and no horizontal lens shift. It is also a relatively short throw projector. So before you buy make sure it will fit your room by using a calculator such as this: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars great projector, 16 Jan 2014
I've never had a home projector before so it was all new to me. I have it in my living room and it projects a 2.5m screen no problem. For the first time I have been able to distinguish between HD and non HD. It really is fantastic. also the projector is less than 2m from the screen and mounted on the ceiling. No need to worry about lighting - the screen lights up the whole room. At the moment I am just projecting onto a white wall and it is terrific. Football is brilliant. So are films. It is also fairly quiet - don't really notice the fan noise at all. I would recommend to anyone who would like a large TV. Its half the price of a smaller TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, 4 Oct 2014
WOW!!

I went back & fourth looking at projectors it drove me crazy. I looked at Optoma HD131xe, then the HD141x & HD26. All without doubt great projectors. BUT I always ended up going back to the BenQ w1070 as it just seemed to please so many people!!

So I took the plunge and bought one, and although I've only had this less than 12hrs I'm in love. Once out of the box it's really simple to get started with. Plenty of factory settings and you can alter anything to your personal preference also which should suit everyone. I positioned the projector so it would project onto our lounge wall (awaiting screen delivery) which is a sand type color (not white) and already it looked incredible.

After putting on Pacific Rim, Star Wars & Frozen (for the wife) I had smiles all over my face. The only thing I have to look into is aspect ratio of movies. I have it set up perfectly for one movie then next movie is a different ratio and the screen is projecting onto vases, the sofa, and all sorts. If anyone can help with aspect ratio of movies I'd appreciate it.

However....our neighbours have a huge white wall, freshly painted/plastered and I have a play area of about 30ft by 30ft. SOOO I decided to project onto their wall. OMG, I nearly died, amazing. The white really helped with the image and I can't wait for my screen to arrive when I order it. So now we also have the advantage of movies in the garden at night. The sound from the benQ is also pretty loud, but doesn't offer any bass etc, so I would recommend you set it up with sound bar or separate speakers and amp. However it's fine for everything else,

I'm about to order a 120 inch screen, can't find much larger, was hoping to go 150 inch but that just squeezes my budget. However I'm hoping 120 will be larger enough....for now. Also I haven't tried the 3D yet, but this is something I hope to do in next fortnight so I'll update on that also.

So far I can't tell you how happy I am with this projector. I even found a post on my wife's facebook saying she was impressed!!

UPDATE:1 So had this projector for few days now. Ordered a screen and got 135 inch screen and put up on wall! Having played around with things still very happy with projector but here are a few things I have noticed. In very dark scenes I've noticed what I believe is rainbow effect. However this could be me cause I see a flash of red/green/blue when I move my eyes. This as I said is only during very dark scenes and hasn't ruined my viewing experience I'm just odd I guess!!

I also thought standard picture settings offered a good picture but I noticed a green tint to everything so now use cinema mode which looks very impressive and dropped the green tint totally. I don't have any calibration settings yet but will look into that soon. Looks stunning on matt white screen though, and can't fault anything else. Hopefully 3D glasses here today so I'll do another update when I've played about with those! :)

UPDATE:2 So got the 3D glasses (Sainsonics) and they work and link perfectly. Very impressive 3D content with no ghosting as far as I can see. Tried a few 3D movies and all very good but by far was Turtle Tale which literally had objects floating right in front of my face, very impressive indeed.

However I'm still suffering from this rainbow effect thing. My wife & daughter doesn't see it but when I move my eyes while watching a movie I see a flash of RGB, it's very annoying. It's really bad when reading text on screen especially. I've tried all matter of settings and this does not go away. I've been told that as the bulb power drops after 100 hours this could become easier on the eye. Apparently also the eye and brain will eventually work it out and maybe this will go over time. Apart from that I'm over the moon with this set-up and would highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking of starting out into the world of projectors/home cinema! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars benq w1070 review, 24 Feb 2013
Mr. A. M. Baldwin "balders" (ashford kent) - See all my reviews
just bought this projector and its amazing for the price, 100 inch screen from 2.8 metres away with superb 3d with no crosstalk, if your thinking of getting one just get it ,i have another review on youtube under w1070 review demohttp[..]

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 31 Oct 2014
BluePie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Decent picture quality for a budget projector. Good clarity and bright colours. I have a 100" picture in my bedroom with the projector approx 2.8m away. Sadly, the blacks are a bit wishy washy, not much detail visible on really dark scenes. I'm in the process of painting my room flat matt black to give it all the help I can. The remote has been upgraded and is pretty useful.

Like a lot of projectors, this is VERY noisy. I use headphones and I can still hear it, although it is fitted to a shelf six feet above my head. Chucks out a LOT of heat too, which will be a good thing in the chillier months!

I wish the sound had more adjustments, I have to use the headphone jack for my PS3, but I guess most people will use their own sound systems.

All in all, if this is your first foray into the world of projectors, I would cautiously recommend it. However, if you're upgrading, I would shop about a bit more.